*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010416-Darmok-the-Bloodhide
Rated: E · Assignment · Fantasy · #2010416
One of the Major characters

Basics

Name: Darmok
Character's Full Name: Darmok
Reason or meaning of name: Jasper’s Fortitude
Nickname: The Bloodhide
Reason for nickname: The Blood-red Scales on his body.
Birth date: (see age)

Gender: Male
Age: 100+ (? – Depends on continuing timeline work)
Eye color: Dark Brown
Hair color/style/type: Bald
Height: 7’3”
Weight: 413 lbs
Build: Thick Muscled body, broad shouldered, with very little fat visible in the tone of his body. He does not look like he would be able to move with any swiftness, but it is very evident how powerful any hit would be, if a fight with him was incited.
Nationality: Urugan (Half-Orc Dradar)
Skin tone: Reddish Brown
Skin type: Hard, rough skin with blood red dragon’s scales over the skin at the joints (i.e. elbow, knee, wrist, shoulder) and along his back.
Face shape: Strong-jawed, angular chin, with a seemingly fixed expression of anger.
Distinguishing marks: His scales, while common among Dradar, are a darker shade than your usual descendant of a Red Dragon.
Most predominant feature: The angle and shape of his eyes, being like that of a dragon, are uncommon to Dradar. This suggests either a longer time spent in-womb incubation, than most Dradar.
Preferred clothing or accessories: Bear-hide leather pants, typically bare-chested, except for the strap worn crossed over his left shoulder, to his right hip, with his weapon clipped to it.

Jewelry or accessories that are special or meaningful: None
Where does character live: Bloodhide Keep, north-east Telluria, east of the Dragon Peaks, south of the East Forest.
What does s/he do too much of: He often journeyed to the Orc’s lands in the south, yearning to be one of them.
What does s/he do too little of: Think of or take action regarding a more passive life (i.e. his own family)
Most prized possession: A pendant – a silver chain with a red dragon scale fastened over a jasper setting.
Why: The scale is one of his mother’s and since her passing it is the last thing he has to remind him of her.
Talented in/with: Arena fighting, two-handed weapons
Any pets: None

Background

From: He was born and raised in a typical dragon roost within a cave of the Dragon Peaks.
Type of childhood: Within the cave, he was largely kept from Dragon and Orcish societies, but was taught the culture of both from his mother. Short interludes from the caves allowed him time to see his father, whom he learned more of the Orcish ways from. Despite their parted living situation, there was never any displeasure seen between them, and were apart simply because of the separate races’ distrust of the other, and dislike of the fact that a child of mixed blood was born.
Education: He never learned to read or write, but he did learn history, warfare, culture, and other such things from his parents themselves.
Religion/Beliefs: No religious teaches came from his dragon parentage, but he learned of the Orcish worship of the spirits of strong animals (wolves, bears, stags, etc.)
Relevant first experiences (if any): Within the hills of the Dragon Peaks, he was forced to kill another dragon, a youngling of the species, that thought him nothing more than a normal Orc and to make a meal of him and his father. He was ever more so kept hidden by his mother afterwards.
Did they learn the things they know from a tutor or from experience: Tutors/Parents
Where these life lessons hard learned? How/Why?: It was not a lengthy process of getting accustomed to, but it was a tough thing to accept that he was not welcome among Orc or Dragon society, despite that he belonged to both.
Is there a childhood memory that lingers with him/her or has affected him/her: The dragon he was forced to kill stays with him, since it included his father.

Family

Mother's name: Vro’darom
Relationship with her: Close, raised by her with little interaction with his father.
Father's name: Marok
Relationship with him: Close, despite the little interaction.
Siblings: None
Birth order: N/A
Relationship with each: N/A
Children of Siblings: N/A
Extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.): Father’s two brothers & Mother’s parents and siblings.
Close to family?: No. The common view of the families of Dradar, the Dradar is deemed unfit as either race.
Spouses or partners?: Yes, Mate - Olynia Stonescale
Does character have child(ren): No
How many:
Are all children with the same partner:
How does character relate to his/her child(ren):
Which child is the character's favorite:
Why:
Is relationship with the children good:
Is relationship with children important to character:

Is character divorced: No
Why:
How many times:
Has character ever been unfaithful to spouse: No
How does character relate to others: Other Dradar receive care from him, with effort to help them feel as if they are accepted as they are and welcome where they are.
How is s/he perceived by others: Generally, he is accepted as a great and benevolent person, despite his usually hostile and brash attitude.
Strangers? Friends?: Those unfamiliar with him view him as brash and tyrannical. Those close to him know that he makes them feel welcome.
Wife/Husband/Lover?: Olynia and Darmok are joined via an arrangement through the demonic possession that controls them. There is no real love between them, but there is no hatred either, as they are both trapped in their position and neither had any hand in forcing it themselves.
Children?: None
Protagonist?: Ugurok and Thulka, of the Orcs, view him simply as the leader of the Dradar, and ultimately, the man in control of their enslavement. Aleksander however seeks to free him as much as he seeks to aide in Ugurok and Thulka’s freedom.
Antagonist?: Yami views Darmok as nothing more than a tool; an object to be used to complete his goals.
First impression the character makes:
What happens to change this perception: Nothing.
What do family/friends like most about character: Family - His lack of interaction with them. || Friends – His dedication to their needs.
What do family/friends like least about character: Family - His mixed blood. || Friends – His closed off nature.

Occupation

Job: Lord of the Dradar
Number of years: (See Birth Date/Age)
Relationship with co-workers: His only co-worker is his mate, Olynia.
Does he/she like their job: His position is granted through the power of another. His efforts to help those under him is done in whatever measure he can manage due to the demonic possession he is trapped in.
Why or why not: He did not elect to hold this position, and holds no power to alter the fact.

Attitude

Greatest fear: Orcish clans risen up against him.
Worst thing that could happen to him/her: The Orcish clans stand against him in war.
What would make them cry (if at all): Displays of familial respect/honor
Character is most at ease when: He watches the fields and animals at their natural routine.
Character is most uncomfortable when: He is looked upon to lead.
Priorities in life: Family, Friends, Himself, Everything else.
Philosophy: Show honor and respect, and the spirits will welcome you into their afterlife to become one with nature.
How she/he feels about self: Believes in himself, and feels he does what he can to prove he is respectful and honorable, even if others do not agree with him on such.
How does she/he feel about failure?: Failure is dishonorable and is not tolerated. Giving up is worse.
Biggest regret?: Not being able to find a way to alleviate conflicts within his family, so that his father and mother may stand together before both families.
Biggest accomplishment: Nothing.
Does anyone else know: N/A
How did that person find out: N/A

Traits

Optimist or pessimist: In the middle
Introvert or extrovert: Stifled Extrovert
Drives and motivations: Strength
Talents (hidden or not): Nothing unique.
Extremely skilled at: Many forms of strength based labor (building, fighting, etc.)
Extremely unskilled at: Any sort of docile form of labor. (sewing, first aid, etc.)
Good characteristics: Care and compassion for those looked upon with bias.
Character flaws: Inability to read, lacking social graces
Mannerisms: Holds onto his weapon when he wants his point to be taken more seriously.
Peculiarities: While he is motivated to continue to do what he can for those with him, his motivation regarding the demonic possession is seemingly dried up.

Self-perception

How would the character describe themselves: Strong
Are they proud or embarrassed by any physical traits or personal qualities: Proud of all, Embarrassed of nothing.
Are these realistic assessments: Yes

Goals

Immediate goal(s): Aiding the other Dradar in finding acceptance.
Long range goal(s): Finding a means to free the Dradar from demonic enslavement.
How does character plan to accomplish goal(s): In regards to the enslavement, he is unsure at the current time, for the most part. As for the acceptance, he merely provides a home for them where they are already accepted among their own kind.
How will other people around the character be affected: The Dradar come to love him, while others tend to see him as simply a conqueror trying to destroy the other races of the world.

Problems/crisis

How this character reacts in a crisis: Despite his generalized form of education, he thinks with a clear mind devoted to the problem.
How does this character face problems: He listens to the information about the problem and makes a plan.
What kinds of problems character usually run into: Typically combat oriented, with people seeking to harm the Dradar.
How does character react to, change, new problems, or an unfamiliar environment: Same as any other problem, he assesses the information and decides upon a path of action.
What is the character's one major flaw: If a problem calls for a non-combative response, he tends to still think like a warrior and give the combative response.
What are his/her minor flaws: Inability to read, inability to think of social things more clearly.
Is he/she ashamed of them: He doesn’t understand why he should be ashamed, so he feels no shame only confusion over why others think he should be.
How do people react to these shortcomings: They try to guide him out of his comfort zone and show him their ideas of how he should respond/feel/react.
Does he/she apologize after losing their temper: No
What flaw would most likely drive a love interest or a friend away: Olynia, like Darmok’s friend find their discrepancies fade away under the realization that they would be lost without him. Their union is that of arrangement, not love, but she has developed a greater than usual level of respect for him that could, in some respects, be considered love. She overlooks all his flaws, no matter what they are.
How does she/he positively react to change?: As the leader of his people, the change is typically because of his actions. If it is outside of his power that it happened, like other problems, he listens to the news from his advisors, and calmly comes to a decision regarding it.
How does she/he negatively react to change?: In certain situations, as stated before, he is not scared to resort to acts of violence. This could lead to war, but he is unafraid of war, and has led the Dradar through multiple wars.
What is their breaking point?: Despite his familiarity with war, he does not handle death well. The closer the person was to him, the greater it affects him.
What sort of encouragement would most motivate them to do better?:
Does she/he have any bad habits? Can be included with flaws.: (See above.)
How will your character grow throughout the story?: Both Alek and Dorian have similar parts of their lives that will bring them into a closer-knit perspective with Darmok. Seeing how they handled their lives troubles will show him some answers, while also seeing their resolve, strength, and honor, will help him restore motivation in fighting against Yami.
Who will give them challenges to grow: Alek and Dorian
Will he/she make any wrong choices during their journey: He’s been making mistakes for over a century, it will take time to amend this habit.
© Copyright 2014 Ken Morelli (verdaniaman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010416-Darmok-the-Bloodhide