*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010437-Homecoming-Save
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #2010437
An old warrior sees himself long ago.
I ran into a homecoming not long ago at an airport. A young marine was with his parents in the baggage area, obviously coming home from some far-flung place. Before you knew it, he was surrounded by a crowd of well-wishers saying things like, "Oh, thank you for your service" and "Your country is so proud of you", and much, much more. Quickly, it became obvious that he was getting overwhelmed.

I stepped up and said loudly, "We've got to get you on that connecting flight right away, Corporal!" I reached down, grabbed his gear and stepped off, leading him away from the crowd with his parents in tow. Once we got around a corner and headed for the parking lot, his dad stopped me. "Thank you, I couldn't think of what to do for a second." His son smiled at me with a kind of quiet shyness I had known myself many years ago. He put out his hand and we looked each other in the eye as we shook hands. "You don't know how much I appreciate it, sir. It's hard to deal with crowds lately."

"It's okay, Corporal" I told him, "It'll be that way for awhile. Just remember you're not down range anymore and you'll be fine." He broke into a huge grin at that and said, "I should have known someone who's been there when I saw him."

We said our goodbyes as his folks packed his gear into their car to take him home, and I went on my way. I thought for a moment what it had been like when I came home, and how I'd felt among crowds for a long time. I felt like I had just met myself full circle, and it was alright to finally walk away from the youth I had left on the battlefield.
© Copyright 2014 Vincent Coffin (vcoffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010437-Homecoming-Save