*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010943-I-Should-Tell-You
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #2010943
Character Gauntlet Challenge Day Eight. Nothing but Dialogue.
"I know you're there, Onyx."

"Let me guess, you picked up on my scent."

"It's not exactly hard to miss. There aren't very many cherry blossoms in bloom right now."

"I was wondering where you were going with that comment, Tomas."

"I would never imply that you smelled unpleasant. Of the two of us I'm probably the one who smells bad. My training has made me a bit sweaty."

"So I've noticed. Your heath must be improving; you made it to the top of my sky tower, and managed to get through all of your kata forms without stopping to rest."

"I hope you don't mind me using the area you prefer to hone your magical skills. Your magical energy is probably what drew me here; that and the open air."

"No, I don't mind. I've enjoyed watching you practice the past few weeks. The forms are the same as the ones my father did when he practiced up here."

"I learned them from him. Did he teach them to you?"

"I learned from watching him, but after he died I found it too painful to practice. I don't remember how to do them anymore."

"I find that hard to believe. Even if you don't recall them all, I'm sure your body can move through them on its own. Come show me what you remember and I'll help you fill in the blanks."

"Perhaps, some other time? I'd like to talk to you."

"We're talking now."

"Yes, but there is something I want to tell you, and I better tell you now before I lose my nerve."

"You lose your nerve? I don't think that is possible."

"Tomas I... I'm in love with you."

"In love with me?"

"I know it sounds crazy; you being so much older than me; but it seemed to work quite well for my mother and father, so I figured it could work for us. I know I haven't always been kind to you, but you have shown me a different side to dire panthers; a side that I forgot existed after my father died."

"Whoa, slow down, and take a breath, Onyx. I must admit this is quite a surprise. Usually, it is the man who is boldly making declarations of love. You truly are unique. I'm very fond of you, Onyx. With time I think that fondness could develop into something more, but I don't want to rush you into something you're not ready for. You're only eighteen, and I'm.... Well, let's just say I'm significantly older than you."

"That doesn't bother me."

"I know, but it is something we need to consider. I don't want you to feel coerced by me just because I am older, and more experienced than you."

"I don't feel, um, coerced."

"You don't now, but what about when you are older, and realize how great the age difference is between us. I know I don't look it, but I'm a few decades older than you. Your father and I were boys together. Do you understand?"

"You're worried that I'm trying to replace my father in my heart with you?"

"Yes."

"No man will ever take my father's place. I love you not just as a man, but as the man who helped me see certain things that I turned a blind eye to. The truth is; at first I was just trying to keep you as an ally against Ido, but as I got to know you I have truly grown fond of you. When you talk of leaving it makes me sad because I know I will miss you. I'll miss coming up here to find you training in the center of my pentagram. I'll miss hunting with you at night. I'll miss, well, everything we've been doing together."

"I would miss those things too."

"So, you'll stay?"

"Yes, my darling Onyx, I'll stay."

"I love you, Tomas."


Word Count: 652
© Copyright 2014 Vixey Todd (jlh1982 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2010943-I-Should-Tell-You