*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2011762-The-Crow-Sisters
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #2011762
A simple story about two sisters
The Crow Sisters
by Elegant Butler


Demona Crow laughed as she and her sister McKenna sat together at a breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast.

They had just moved into the new place, a few houses down from their mother Sebastianne’s house. It was a simple house. Just enough rooms for two sisters. There was a bedroom with two beds, a simple kitchen, and a music conservatory for violin practice. In the kitchen was the one thing about their home that was actually modern. A cupcake factory, given to them by their mother.

“Shall we go over to the park for the morning after breakfast?” McKenna asked.  She was dressed in a raspberry colored sweater and a short blue skirt with a pattern of white gridwork. A blue cap rested on her long brown hair.

“Sure, why not?” Demona shrugged.  She was far less conservative in her mode of dress, preferring a black Wilma (as she liked to call it)  with matching punk boots and a spiked collar around her neck. She took a bite of her eggs and chewed while she thought about something. “And we should stop off at the pub afterward.”

“Sounds good to me,” McKenna said. “Mom’s working there today. We can say hello. And I know I’d like to get in a little mic time for my comedy practice.”


They walked to the park after breakfast. McKenna sat down at the chess table and began to practice while Demona made her way over to the lily pond to try and catch frogs.  Even as an adult she loved the chase. She had yet to actually catch one, but that didn’t deter her.

She had been watching her most recent prey make its way back to the lily pads when a voice spoke up behind her.

“Gorgeous day, don’t you think?” he asked.

She shrugged.  “I suppose so.”

“I was just watching you try to catch that frog. You aren’t doing very well, are you?”

“Have you caught any?” Demona asked sharply.

“No,” the man told her.

“Then shut up,” Demona said, pointedly, turning away and going back to the business of failing to catch frogs.
McKenna reset the chess piece after a bit and headed down to the pond to retrieve her sister.

“No luck again, I see,” she noted. “Just as well. I’m sure they don’t allow frogs in the pub.”



The sisters headed over to the pub where their mother worked. McKenna made her way over to the microphone while Demona sat down at the bar.

“Hi, Mum.”

Sebastianne wiped a glass as she spoke, and Demona was reminded of the bartenders in old Westerns doing their cleaning  just before the big bar brawl messed everything up again.

“You guys find jobs yet?”

“That’s one of the reasons we came here,” Demona said. “I was hoping you’d give us jobs here in the pub.”

“Well, its not up to me,” Sebastianne told her daughter. “You should come back this evening and talk to Bob. He’s the one who runs this joint. Of course, I think they’re looking for a musician at Frank’s Place. You might have better luck there.”

“I play violin, mom,” Demona pointed out. “Not many pubs want to hire a violinist.”

“You might be surprised,” Sebastianne told her daughter. “And it just so happens that I saw a violin next to the piano at Frank’s.”

McKenna joined them after a while. “Water.”

Sebastianne filled a glass of water and placed it in front of McKenna.

“Thanks,” McKenna said, downing half of it.  “You guys coming over to dinner at ours tonight?”

“Can’t, sorry. Why don’t you stop by at our place on Sunday? It’s your sister’s birthday. We’re going to be having a party.”

“Sounds like fun,” Demona remarked. “Sure, we’ll come.”

“Okay, then,” Sebastianne said as she went back to her cleaning chores.
© Copyright 2014 ElegantButler (elegantbutler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2011762-The-Crow-Sisters