*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2012170-End-of-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2012170
Mishius stood there in disbelief as she saw what was about to happen in Sector 23658.
                                        ---  End of Time  --- 
 

  Mishius looked at the star cluster in front of her and sighed. It was beautiful as it floated there an arms length away, bright glowing knots of stars pulsing with life, red, blue and bright yellow pinpoints throughout. When she first started this post 6 years ago she was awed and fascinated by the beauty and complexity before her. When did it all become so ordinary she wondered.

  Mishius was a Denarian, young and ambitious, three meters tall, slender and beautiful, her copper skintight uniform highlighting her curves, her copper eyes and her soft blue skin.

  She reached out with both hands into the star cluster and spread them apart, the stars in the cluster flying apart as the room filled with the now expanded star cluster.  She looked left and right at thousands of stars tapping in the air in front of her bringing up data for each anomaly displayed, checking and cataloging them.

  Just the usual anomalies she thought to herself, nothing exciting ever happens in my quadrant. Frentina in quadrant 14742 has a 2 system civil war to monitor and Dentelo in quadrant 46734 had 2 super nouva in the past year. Two! It's just not fair. I'm stuck here monitoring one of the most boring quadrants in the galaxy.

  Everything checked out as usual so she motioned with her hands and the star cluster went back together into the small ball of stars in front of her once again. She waved her arm sideways and the star cluster moved off to the right and another collection of stars, this time less densely populated appeared before her. She checked the anomalies as before and then moved on to the next grouping of stars. 

  This section was a little more dense so she waived her hands to open up one section of stars. A couple of anomalies appeared. She flicked down and the data appeared. She cross checked each one and was about to close them when a red circle appeared on one star in the upper right and a sharp beeping tone emitted in the room.

  "What the hazer" she exclaimed.  The anomoly cross check had triggered something. This had never happened to her before and she stared in disbelief at the red circled star. A few motions with her hands and the star was right in front of her, a swipe down and the data appeared.  Her jaw dropped and her eyes went wide as she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

                                      _________________

 
  From his office on the top floor of Galactic Headquarters Vice Chairman Kal Cromath could see the Spaceport on Otis Prime. Glimmering starships, freighters and transports from all over galaxy were docked there. Today there was also a Battlecruiser in port, a behemoth that dwarfed the other ships in dock. Engines the size of small starships and bristling with enough firepower to lay waste to anything in the galaxy.

  It was an amazing sight, yet the ship Vice Chairman Cromath couldn't take his eyes off of was the Valerian starship docked on pad 2, level 4.  The Valerian prime ministers ship. A valarian Corsair, top of the line, sleek gold body with silver twin Quantum Phase drivers. A streamlined classic look capable of quantum plus light speed.

  His mind swam as he imagined himself captaining it across the galaxy as he stroked his now graying beard. He sucked in his gut a little as he stood there by the window. He wasn't the slim cocky pilot he once was. He'd put on quite a bit of weight since they put him out to pasture here on Otis Prime with this; desk job. The words were still tough to say. Well, at least I still have this amazing view of the space port and I can still dream.  His thoughts were interrupted suddenly by a musical tone.

  "Yes Shira, what is it?"

  "Sir, director Hanover from galactic monitoring would like to speak to you. He says that it is quite urgent."

  Kal smiled to himself. "Yes, I'm sure it is. Give me one minute then send him in." Everything in galactic monitoring seemed urgent to his old friend Wes Hanover.

  Kal took one more look at the Valarian starship then with a sigh turned away from the window and went back to his desk. He folded his hands in front of him and looked up. A moment later a holographic image of a wiry Wes Hanover appeared standing in front of him, wringing his hands and looking extremely nervous.

  "Wes, how are you" asked Kal cheerfully, trying to lighten the other mans obvious tension.

  "I.. I.. I have some bad news to report vice Chairman". It's just...just.,.that ....

  "All right, calm down Wes and slowly tell me what's the matter"

  Wes Hanover took a deep breath and slowly began again. "Kal, we have a dire situation . Specialist Mishius Debarres during one of her routine scans of anomalies in sector 23658 turned up an imminent E10 event.

  Kal Cromath heart jumped into his throat and he suddenly felt sick to his stomach. "An E10" he gasped. "Are you certain?

  "Yes, I checked all the data  and calculations myself personally. Kal, I even had the  system computers run through a full diagnostics hoping there was a system error, but there was no system error. It's an E10 and it's going to happen."

  The two men just looked at each other, their eyes hollow and cold for a few seconds. Finally Kal Cromath spoke up. 
"All right, how soon can you get here with all the analysis and data? We need to go over this in person very carefully in private to see what we're dealing with."

  "I'll be there in 1 hour"

                                        _________________


  Wes Hanover tapped the data disc and the images and data in the air in front of the two men vanished. Kal Cromath paced back and forth across the room, then stared blankly out the window for a few seconds before he spoke.

  "What resources do we have in that sector. Who do you have out there monitoring things?"

  "Well, that's just it. It's a very remote sector of the galaxy and nothing ever happens out there and.."

  "Get to the point" Kal interrupted plainly irritated.

"We have Sammy Fransur monitoring that sector" Wes said quietly.
 
  "Fransur! You have got to be kidding! After the incident back on Scantar I thought you let him go".

  Wes fidgeted a little then said "well we did, but you know how hard it is to get someone to take these isolated remote assignments. Besides way out there we figured what trouble could he get into".

  "Well, that's just great. He's arrogant, cocky, has no respect for authority,..and, and ...

  "And he's all we've got" Wes added.

  Kal stared angrily at Wes for a few seconds before speaking.
"Can we send someone else there to monitor the event?"

  "Not in time, he's the only one close enough."

  Kal began pacing again and then stared out the window.  Afternoon was fading and long shadows were stretching out from the spaceport towers.

  "Alright, set up a hyper light transmission link. I want to speak with him this evening."

  "Yes, vice chairman. I'll see to it personally."

                                          ______________

  Kal liked his penthouse overlooking the city. Lights sparkled all around, yet he looked up into the sky this evening at the two moons, Sepho and Reegis, glowing like orange and blue marbles in the sky, and past them to the stars beyond and a tinge of sadness enveloped him. Ah, to be young again and roaming the stars he thought, that was when he'd felt most alive.

  Sammy Fransur, he thought to himself, young and cocky , idealistic. He reminded him of himself when he was young and he envied him now. Out roaming the galaxy, especially the remote regions, that's where the unknown could still be found. A punishment, hell, he was probably thrilled to get the assignment at the outer fringes where he could operate on his own terms with no one overlooking everthing he did.

  But this was serious business and needed to be handled in the proper way. Galactic policy must be followed in regards to this business.

    "Your hyper light transmission is ready" a female voice softly notified.

  "Alright, put it through" Kal said.

  A moment later in the center of the lavish room Sammy Fransur materialized. Tall, athletic, handsome and with an air of confidence about him you could see just by looking at him. Devilhorn leather boots, tan breeches and a loose fitting white shirt giving him the look of a rouge or a pirate. Sammy's mouth curled up in a wry smile as he saw Kal Cromath.

  "To what do I owe the honor of this audience Vice Chairman Cromath."

  "Cut the crap Fransur," Kal replied sharply trying to gain control of the moment. We have a serious situation in your sector we need to discuss."

  "Really" replied Sammy still flippant, "what could possibly be going on way out here that has the attention of the Galactic Vice Chairman."

  "An E10 event" Kal said quietly.

  Sammy looked as if he'd been shot and his expression grew deadly serious. "Where, when" he demanded.

  "At 11T504S in 52 hrs 25 min from now".

  Kal tapped the panel in front of him and an image of the location along with data particulars appeared between the two men. Sammy grimly studied the image and data for a few minutes and then muttered to himself, "Oh no" as he studied it a few moments longer.

  "This can't happen" he exclaimed loudly, "we have to stop it somehow".

  "That's not possible " replied Kal, and even if it was, galactic council policy forbids interference in this case."

  "Screw galactic policy" Sammy spat back venomously, "we have to prevent this from happening" he roared.

  "No, you will not interfere Fransur, that's a direct order. You're just to observe and record data on the event. Is that clear".

  The two men stared each other down for a few moments before Sammy spoke.

  "I understand " he finally said.

  An hour later when it was clear exactly what data and measurements were to be taken at the upcoming event Kal spoke.

    "All right as soon as the event has concluded I want a full report within the hour "

  "You'll get your report replied Fransur."

  The meeting concluded and Fransur's image dissolved leaving Kal Cromath staring at the empty space left behind.  Deep in thought his brow furled. 

  After a few moments he spoke, "get me Admiral Yashim, priority one. A few minutes later a female voice softly said  "Admiral Yashim is online."

  "Put him through"

  Admiral Yashim's image appeared. Admiral Yashim was the Commander of the Battlecruiser Triton that was docked here at the spaceport on Otis Prime. He was an imposing figure and not just because he was an Organian.  Organian's were a warrior species, fierce in nature and huge, 2.5 meters tall and almost as wide, solid muscle throughout. 

  Admiral Yashim was all that and more, but it was his granite block of a head with those piercing black eyes that bore right through you installing an instinctive fear that you remembered most the first time you met him. He stood there in a dark blue dress uniform now, medals and ribbons on display. 

  "Admiral Yashim, sorry to disturb you, I hope I'm not pulling you away from anything important."

  Yashim's lips curled up into what on any other species would have been considered a smile, but on him it looked like a Yarbeast ready to devour its prey.

  "On the contrary, you got me out of there just in time, another 10 minutes or so with those politicians," and the word came out like it left a bad taste in his mouth, "and I would have had to kill one of them or commit suicide, and I'm not the suicidal type", his teeth baring a little on that last phrase.

  "What can I do for you Vice Chairman."

  "Admiral, we have a situation in Galactic Sector 23658. Earlier today an analyst was crosschecking anomalies and discovered an imminent E10 event in the sector. Fortunately, this is a remote sector and is far removed from galactic population centers. I contacted our observer in that sector and assessed him of the situation and laid out a plan for observation and analysis of the event when it happens."

  "An E10 event is a very serious situation" Admiral Yashim said slowly. "However, it appears that you have things under control."

  "I thought so too, but I'm not so sure now. Our observer in that sector was very upset when I informed him of the event and ranted that we needed to somehow stop it from happening. I reminded him of galactic council policy and ordered him not to interfere. He accepted his orders and said he will monitor the event."

  "It may be nothing but I have a gut feeling that something is wrong and I would like backup just in case. Does the military have any ships near that sector Admiral that can get there in time. I'm sending you the coordinates and time now."

  Admiral Yashim checked the data before him, made some entries and scanned the results.

  "Looks like we have one ship near that sector that could get there in time at max light plus drive. The Drivian, a Corvair class starship, captain is Connor Healdon. He's young, but a good man. "

  "I hope I'm wrong about this Admiral. But if Fransur attempts any interference in the event the Drivian must use any means necessary to stop him. Do we understand each other Admiral."

  ""Perfectly Vice Chairman. It will be done".

                                      __________________


"Captain, we've reached the designated coordinates and are preparing to drop into sub light."

  "Shields up, battle stations ready Rander, we're going in hot."

  "Yes Captain" replied first officer Gerald Rander.

  Captain Healdon looked around the Command deck. Radner was on his left at the weapons and propulsion console and Danna Panser was on his right manning  communications and life support. They were all young, just out of the academy and on a shakedown cruise to this remote sector of the galaxy. This was supposed to be a routine first flight to get their feet wet in a small Corvair class starship. Go out, take some readings on a small moon orbiting a remote planet and return with the data. Simple, right.

  Well, suddenly it had become a priority one mission with life and death consequences and Healdon wondered how he would perform under the circumstances. He wondered if Radner and Panser were as nervous as he was.

  They were extremely qualified. Radner had been first in his class in battle simulations and Panser knew the ship inside out. It seemed every time he saw her she was pouring through another of the ship's manuals or blueprints.

  The stars coalesed in the view screen as the Drivian dropped out of light drive and settled into space near the site of the imminent E10 event.

  "Sensor status report" Healdon queried in the most confident command voice he could muster trying to put his junior officers at ease.

  "One moment Captain, data is coming in" replied Gerald Radner. 

  "Captain, we are 12000 kilometers from the center of the impending E10 event. Time to event is 1 hour 16 minutes."

  "Any other ships in the area."

  "Negative Captain, at the moment we are the only ship within sensor range."

  "Alright, lets maintain our position, shields down, sensors at maximum range. I want to know the moment the sensors pick up anything at all."

  "Yes Captain."

  "Panser, any communications or data streams detected."

  "No Captain, all light and sub light frequencies are being monitored and no activity to report."

  "Alright, then we wait. The  science vessel Starfire is supposed to be here to monitor and record the event and when it gets here its our job to make sure that that's all it does."

                                      __________________


  "Captain, five minutes until the event and still no contacts or activity on the sensors. Should we withdraw to a safer distance to observe from."

  "Not yet, let's wait a few more minutes. Shields up and prepare for sub light 0.5 on my command. We're going to wait here as long as we can."

  "Four minutes till the event Captain" Radner said apprehension in his voice.

  "Captain, a ship dropping into sub light just 200 kilometers from the event center" Radner yelled as the sensor array lit up in front of him.

  "Its the Starfire Captain."

  "Panser, hail that ship" spat Healdon. "I need communication right now."

  On the view screen in front of him the stars were suddenly replaced with the image of the calm, confident Sammy Fransur sitting in his captains chair adjusting the console in front of him.

  "Well, what have we here, a Galactic starship out here on the fringe. What are you boys doing in my neck of the woods".

  "You will vacate your present position immediately Fransur. The E10 event is only minutes away" Healdon said urgently.

  "Yeah I know, just dropping a few sensors and I'll be outta here in a minute" Fransur replied his voice cracking ever so slightly.

  "Captain, there is a power build up in the Starfire's reactor core" interjected Radner. "It's going critical."

  "Starfire's preparing to eject its core toward the E10 event's coordinates" added Panser frantically.

  "Fransur, stop what your doing immediately or I'll be forced to fire on you" shouted Captain Healdon.

  "Sammy Fransur looked pleadingly at the view screen as he implored "this doesn't have to happen, it cant happen and I'm going to stop it."

  "Fire plasma torpedo's" cried Captain Healdon.
 
                                    ___________________


  On Otis Prime, deep in the heart of Galactic Monitoring, one circuit, one of millions in the vast computer network received a data node from a remote sensor at the edge of known space in Sector 23658. A disturbance, a vast explosion had occurred in the sector and a new anomaly was created in the data base.

                                  ___________________


  Galactic Monitoring visitor center 60 years later little Tamera Shamler was fascinated by the sights and sounds around her and hung on every word her tour guide said.

  "And this is a monitoring station where our specialists check the star systems in their quadrant for anomalies and then cross check and catalogue them."

  "Would anyone like to try it out" he offered.

  Tamera raised her hand and jumped up and down so excited she could barely contain herself.  Her mother, a tall, slender and regal looking Valarian placed her hand on her daughter's shoulder as if trying to calm her down. It was undignified for a Valarian to act in such a manner and yet, a small but discrete smile curled on her blue lips as she did so.

  "Yes, you young lady. Come up her" the tour guide said pointing to Tamera.

  Tamera was almost breathless as she stepped up onto the circular platform in front of here.

  "Alright" said the tour guide, let's bring up a random quadrant for our pretty volunteer to check."

    Tamera's blue skin blushed ever so slightly as she began to feel self conscious, but then suddenly her eyes went wide with wonder as clusters of bright glowing stars appeared floating in front of her.

  "There are tens of thousands of stars in each of the small star clusters in front of our volunteer" the tour guide stated "and each of these clusters of stars need to be examined."

  He then looked directly at Tamera. "Now pick one cluster of stars you want to examine. Place your hands directly into it and then spread them apart."

  Tamera looked at the beautiful clusters of stars in front of her glowing and pulsing with life. On the right was a small dense grouping of stars with red, blue and yellow pinpoints throughout. She cautiously placed her hands into them and then spread her hands apart. The stars in the cluster flew apart and the room filled with the now expanded star cluster. Oh's and ah's filled the room as everyone was mesmerized by the beauty surrounding them.

  "Now tap on a star to bring up its data file."

  Tamera slid her hand to the right bringing a bright red star directly in front of her and then tapped on it. The star became a small glowing sun with several planets orbiting it and directly below a data file detailing the system.

  "Now close the star and bring the cluster back together again" said the tour guide.

  Tamera tapped on the small solar system and it reverted back to the tiny red star. She put her hands out and was about to bring them together when she noticed a star to the far upper right that had a pulsing red circle around it.

  "What is that circle around that star" she asked the tour guide as she pointed to it.

  "Well, it looks like you've found an anomaly" he said. "Bring it down and lets see what it is."

  With a few swipes of her hands, Tamera had the circled star in front of her. She tapped on it and a small solar system appeared with data below. One of the planets orbiting the sun looked odd to Tamera. Whereas the other planets were small globes of different colors, this planet was a flat black circle.

  "What's wrong with that planet" she asked the tour guide.

  He came over and looked at the data and the system in front of Tamera.

  "What's wrong with that planet is that it's no longer there" he said. "It seems that a rogue planet impacted with the planet 60 years ago triggering an E10 event."

  "What's an E10 event" asked Tamera.

  "An E10 event is a total extinction of all life on a planet" he said with sadness in his voice. "It seems that there was primitive life on the planet."

  Tamera looked at the flat black circle orbiting the sun and a tear rolled down her cheek. She reached out and touched it and the black lifeless disc stopped in front of her with the data below.

  Planet Designation : 11T504S
  EOT Designation : GLT1647.5936.97

  "What is EOT" Tamera asked.

  "EOT stands for End of Time" said the tour guide. "The date when time stopped for all life forms on the planet."

  Tamera reached out to the black lifeless disc again and this time a small blue globe took its place with data below.

  Native Planet Designation : Earth. 
  Native EOT Designation : June 14, 2015.

  Tamera looked at the beautiful blue planet, a ghost of what once was and she began to cry. The tour guide came over to her and put his hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

  "I think it's time we move on" he said quietly. He touched a sensor on his wrist and the beautiful blue planet disappeared again, forever.

  Tamera ran into her mother's arms and hugged her tight.

  "Mommy, it was such a pretty planet" sobbed Tamera.

  "Yes dear" said her mother, "I'm sure it was."

 
 



© Copyright 2014 Mike Weiland (mikeweiland at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2012170-End-of-Time