*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2012899-Day-4-JJ-Cale
Rated: 13+ · Other · Music · #2012899
WDC soundtrackers day 3



I've enjoyed Eric Claptons's music for a long time, but don't know much about him. What I did learn a few years ago is that " Cocaine" isn't actually his song. Instead, it was written by a man named J.J. Cale. Cale wrote "Cocaine" and "After Midnight," and both were covered by Clapton. He had a recording career of his own, but never became well-known. But his songs were covered by Clapton, Santana, Lynryd Skynyrd, Captain Beefheart, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash.

I'm really enjoying learning more about these singers and songwriters. I like songs that tell a story the most, I suppose. Treble over bass, given the choice, and a limit to the number of "ooh, baby baby" songs. I'm not too conversant on more recent singers and songwriters, but I'm learning a lot with this challenge. Thanks everyone.


"Cocaine"

If you wanna hang out you've got to take her out.
Cocaine.
If you wanna get down, down on the ground.
Cocaine.

[Chorus:]
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie;
Cocaine.

If you got bad news, you wanna kick them blues.
Cocaine.
When your day is done and you wanna run.
Cocaine.

[Chorus]

If your thing is gone and you wanna ride on.
Cocaine.
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back.
Cocaine.

[Chorus 2x]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmD_HcOcfU
© Copyright 2014 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2012899-Day-4-JJ-Cale