*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013113-Blind-Date
by Sum1
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2013113
She waits in the pub for her blind date to show. I'm her shy server, and he never shows.
Blind Date


         I saw her walk in the pub that night, all of five foot three, maybe 120 pounds.  Her brown hair was fairly straight and hung just past her shoulders. 

         “Good evening, how many tonight?”  I asked.  Being a waiter in the micro-brewery, I often greeted people at the door if the hostess was busy elsewhere.

         “Oh I’m meeting someone I haven’t met yet, it’s our first time.”

         I tried not to state the obvious, but I couldn’t help myself as I answered, “Blind date huh?”

         I was expecting to hear a bit of sarcasm from her, instead she came back with a laugh, her blue eyes sparkling.  “Yes, as a matter of fact it is.”

         We made small talk as I escorted her to a table in my section, and I asked if I could get her a drink while she waited.  She asked for a French Martini and a glass of water, saying she would just sit and relax while she waited for him.

         We soon got busy, and I didn’t get to check on her as often as I wanted.  It seemed I could feel her eyes on me, but I knew that was just my imagination.  Sure, I’d seen her in the pub before, often with friends, sometimes alone.  She wasn’t what I’d call a regular, but she was a consistent guest.

         About an hour after she arrived, I noticed she was still alone, and dropped by to say hi again.  I was sure she would be a bit peeved, but she seemed quite relaxed and not upset at all.

         “Man, someone sure is in trouble, leaving you alone this long like this.”  I said, more being a friendly server than an outright flirt.  I am a little shy, so rarely flirted with anyone, especially at work.

         “Oh no, he’s fine, I know he’s busy, and kind of expected this to be honest.”  She replied.

         “I see, I guess you know him pretty well then.”

         “No, like I told you earlier, this would be our first date.  But I do know he’s a busy man, so I understand if he can’t be with me when he should.”

         “Wow, I hope he knows how lucky he is, if you ask me.”

         “Well, if he doesn’t know that by now, he will in a few hours, I’m sure of that.”  There was a small gleam in her eyes as she said this.  I wanted to say more to see where this little conversation would go, but my shyness took over, and all I could do was blush.  Seeing my face turn a light shade of red, she chuckled easily and said, “Don’t get your mind going in the gutter now.  It’s not like that at all.  This is our first date.  After this date, he will realize how lucky he is.  What kind of woman do you think I am?”

         Realizing she had read my mind, I blushed even more, causing her to burst out in outright laughter at that point.  To save what little dignity I had left, I turned and walked to the kitchen, anxious to run some food and take my mind off our conversation.  I managed to remain busy for the next few minutes, but about fifteen minutes later, I once again noticed she was still alone.  By this time, business had slowed, and I was ‘cut’, meaning I wasn’t taking tables anymore, and could go home once my end of shift work was completed, and all checks closed.  I checked on her once again, then told her I would be busy in the back cleaning up, but would check on her frequently.  She looked relieved when I said I’d check on her, and I think her date not showing was beginning to make her fret.  I’m sure she didn’t want anyone to know she had been stood up, and there was no way I’d tell anyone about it. But still, she had to be getting a bit upset over things.

         I finished my work as fast as I could, then hung around in the dining area while my other tables slowly paid their checks and went home.  Reluctantly I approached her table, ready for her to cash out and leave.  I was not really happy with this, I found I liked having her there, and felt selfish thinking that.

         “Well, I’m all done here.  You can remain here waiting for him of course.  If so, I’ll transfer your check to another server, or cash you out if you like.”

         “Oh no, I don’t want you to do through any trouble like that, I’ll pay my bill so you can go home.”

         I tried to say the words, tried to ask her if she’d like a drink with me at a small place down the street, but instead I said, “Okay, let me get your check.”

         Kicking myself for being so shy, I closed her check.  I turned in my paperwork for the night and received the tips due to me from the manager.  I decided that I still wanted that drink, with or without her.  It was a short drive to Nicki’s Grill; it was there that I planned on having that drink and rehashing the night.  What I wanted more than anything though, was to have her join me as I had that drink.

         I found a small booth to the side at Nicki’s and sat back with my Jack and Coke.  Despondently I swirled the straw in the drink as I thought about the night.  Suddenly my peace and quiet was interrupted when someone sat opposite me.  I stared for a moment, not daring to believe my eyes.

         “Hi there, I’m Denise, so nice to meet you away from your work.”  She held out her hand shake mine; all I did was stare at her stupidly.

         “Has the cat got your tongue all of a sudden?  You were fine talking to me at the pub.  Or do you only talk to women while you’re working?”

         “I’m sorry, I was lost in thought and didn’t expect anyone to join me.  Nice to meet you, I’m Jim.”

         “There, that’s better, see you can talk to me away from work!”

         I saw the smile in her eyes, and realized she was having fun with me.  Not making fun of me, but having fun.  I smiled back and managed to croak out, “I love to chat.  But it’s usually more informal, on line type of chat.  I don’t socialize too much in real life.”

         “Why not?  You’re not that shy are you?  You didn’t seem that way in the pub tonight.”  The glint was back in her eyes as she looked in mine.  Suddenly I felt out of place, as if I had no idea of what to say or do.  I’m sure my confusion and insecurity must have shown on my face, because the next thing she said was, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.  I’ll leave and let you relax.”

         “No, you’re fine.  I’m just a little tired from work and winding down right now.  Give me a few minutes to settle down is all.”

         “Are you sure?  I don’t want you thinking I’m hitting on you.  I just saw you sitting here and thought I’d join you since now you can sit here and relax without having to take care of me, or anyone else.”

         Her words had a soothing effect on me, and I realized she was just being friendly.  Like me, she was probably lonely from waiting for that guy all night, and needed a company.  I tilted my head to the side a little bit and smiled at her.

         “We’re quite the pair, aren’t we?”

         “What do you mean by that?”  Now it was her turn to blush a little, and I found it very alluring.

         “Just that here we are, you and I.  You didn’t have the date you expected tonight, I worked all night, and now we end up here at Nicki’s Grill sitting together.  Who would have thought?”

         She looked at me and shook her head in agreement.  “Yes, who would have thought.”

         We spent the next hour or so chatting like old friends.  I told her of my work, my passion for writing and photography.  She told me about her budding career in education and her love of travel.  I was surprised when she told me she loved to write too, but had never pursued it much.  We went back and forth after that, our discussion often centering on subjects we had both written about in school or just for fun.  I was surprised when the bartender came to the table and asked us if we wanted anything else.  I looked around and realized we were the only people left in the place!

         I wanted to say something to Denise, anything to keep her with me for a while longer.  Once again, my shyness came to the fore, and all I could do was look at her as I paid the check.  Finally she broke the spell when she said, “Shall we continue this talk at my place, or yours?”

         I couldn’t believe my ears, but the joy on my face must have been obvious.  I tried to answer, but all I could do was stutter and stammer.  Once again she took the lead and said, “Let’s go to my place then.  I don’t live too far away, it’s close enough to walk.”

         We left Nicki’s Grill, and somehow our hands found each other as we walked down the street.  Arriving at her apartment, we settled in on the couch.  Somehow she had found the time to fix us both a small drink.  I looked at her, and for the first time I noticed her freckles, how her blue eyes sparkled as we talked.  Suddenly we were kissing, our hands roaming over each other softly, passions rising.  Breaking away for a moment, she looked at me and said, “Let’s take this to the bedroom, shall we?”

         The rest of the night is a bit of a blur in my mind.  I remember undressing her, and her undressing me.  We explored each other’s bodies with our hands and lips before we gave in to our passion.  We made love many times, and though I’m not that experienced in pleasing a woman, I know she had three or four orgasms.  Her orgasms were very powerful, her body seeming to spasm uncontrollably at times, leaving her helpless for a few minutes afterwards, as limp as a rag doll.

         Finally we felt sated, and lay side by side, basking in the afterglow of our lovemaking.  I looked over at her for a moment, loving the sight of her lying there as a well-loved woman, not just a person I knew from the pub.  I finally found my voice and said, “Well, I think I’m the lucky one tonight.  I’m glad your date never showed.”

         Denise turned and looked at me, a broad smile covering her face.  “I did tell you that my date would realize how lucky he was by the end of tonight, didn’t I”

         “Yes, but he never showed up!”

         “Oh but he did, even if I did have to wait for him to finish work.  Even if I did have to meet him at a location I knew he’d go to after work, even if I did have to introduce myself and ask him to come home with me.  Silly man, you were the one I was waiting for all night.  No one else!”

         I looked at her in complete astonishment, and once again was at a loss for words.  Words did come to mind, but I couldn’t bring myself to say them.  My shyness once again reared its ugly head.  Thankfully, that happened about a year and a half ago.  Time has passed so quickly, we’ve become closer than I ever imagined.  Those words I couldn’t say that night have been spoken.  I asked her to marry me a few days ago.  I was shocked when she screamed and said, “Yes!”  We haven’t set a date yet, but I have finally found the courage and ability to talk to her, and others.

Jim Dorrell
10/5/14
© Copyright 2014 Sum1 (jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013113-Blind-Date