*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013283-College-Essay-first-draft
by Gabby
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Teen · #2013283
I need help editing it. I would appreciate any constructive criticism and or praise.
We've all heard of the son or daughter that is forced to grow up to fast because the parents left or have to work all the time. Well, that was not me. But I did find myself "growing up" a little faster than I should have, and it all started in eighth grade. My best friend's dad had died in a car accident, the feeling of complete hopelessness that filled me after I heard what had happened still fills me to this day as I remember it. March fourth, her birthday, the day she lost her childhood, the day she lost her everything, and the day I lost my best friend.

         Years went by and still we can call each other best friends, but those words don't mean as much as they used to. We have gone through a lot, I mean a lot. She went through a deep depression for two years, but no one could tell her this because she wouldn't believe us if we tried. My life started to revolve around her, not knowing if she was going to make it to morning. It gave me a sharp sense of reality, and I think I am better off for that. I had to make a commitment to being there for her even when times got rough. I would be there any time that she needed me, and I don't mean to say "need me" as to talk about it, I mean need to go to the movies or just hang out because that was all she wanted. I tried playing therapist for a while, she didn't want a therapist, all she wanted was a friend.  So I have dedicated my life to be the friend she needs. As time went on, we have gone separate ways, we've still stayed friends, but needed to breathe. But I think there's that unspoken truth that if she needed me or if I needed her we'd be there in a heartbeat. You can't go through something that traumatic and walk away unscratched and totally unattached.

         They say "people come into your life for a reason", and I do believe that's true.  Helping her cope for the past five years has been the most difficult and longest road I have taken, but I took it with her, for her. It has made me who I am, and I would like to think of myself as a pretty normal human being, with good intentions and a good self of heart. All the tears and the screaming and the heartache that came out of March fourth could not have been looked at in any kind of good light, until now. As I am writing these words, of course there isn't any real good side to it but I see it as the world gaining two strong young girls who needed each other to lean on to face the world and to continue to face what the world had to bring.  The friendship we have today is different from what we had then, but we lift each other up, we have made each other stronger people. I know each of us has to write these essays, and apply to colleges, and I am pretty sure this is the last year we have together. It's bittersweet but I need to start to grow and lift myself up. I am so excited to thrive and succeed in life, starting with college. It's a new beginning, a new story. She will always be a huge part in the making of who I am but won't be my foil anymore.

         



© Copyright 2014 Gabby (gabbyp143 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013283-College-Essay-first-draft