*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2014412-If-Heaven-Had-Visiting-Hours
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Children's · #2014412
A short story on a major life event of a fictitious Indian street kid "Sagar"

If Heaven Had Visiting Hours...


I see kids in cars every day, laughing and smiling. I see their parents smile back, the same people who would, a few seconds later abuse me for trying to earn my living off the streets. I am Sagar, and this is the life, or tragedy as you may call it that I live on a day­-to­-day basis. I don't remember my parents, only a faint shadow of good night melodies sung by a lady, possibly my mother remain. I have lived on the streets as far back as I can remember, selling magazines, roses, pens and even tissue paper for Chintoo dada. Today, I could only sell 11 roses despite my best efforts, and I know what awaits me. That cruel Chintoo dada will beat me like anything, till my body is full of red whiplash marks. No, not today! It is better to give up this useless life than to endure its pain.


Meanwhile, a beggar sitting on the pavement watches this odd 12 year old kid, totally engrossed in himself crossing the road completely oblivious to the fast traffic on the road. In a split second of realization, he sees what's coming! He screams out to the boy, but in vain. Aghast, is he too late? He watches the speeding black Mercedes hit the boy as everything in front of his eyes hurls to a complete halt. The boy goes up in the air and then, drops down on the road, absolutely still and silent.


I felt some tingling in my head, it hurt a lot. I opened my eyes, everything felt pretty dreamy but at the same time looked very precise and real. I couldn't remember much, everything seemed to be a blur. Light, pure pleasant white light seemed to be pouring in from all directions. The floor was white and so was the robe I was wearing. Amidst all this confusion, I however felt completely relaxed and peaceful, like I knew no fear, like I had nothing to worry about! Suddenly, I noticed a door in the middle of nowhere. At the centre of the door was a carving that said:

WELCOME TO HEAVEN

Visiting Hours: 10 HUT - 19 HUT

P.S. If you are new here, HUT means Heaven Unit Time.


Was it a prank? Was it a dream? No, it all seemed to be too real to be a mind game. I should have been scared, I could have been terrified, but there was a voice in my head saying that everything was okay. Moreover, my curiosity got the better of me. As soon as I opened the door, I was welcomed by thick clouds and mist! A woman's voice came out of nowhere and greeted me. I looked around to notice a middle aged woman standing to my left. I asked, "Who are you?" She laughed. I further inquired, "Will you also beat me just like Chintoo dada?" She smiled at me. After a moment's pause, she responded, "No Sagar, consider me as your friend. You can share anything and everything with me." I had always longed for a friend who could pay a heed to all that I had to say. But was this woman trustworthy? She seemed to very nice, so I shared everything with her; my hardships, my struggle, my pain and the lack of parental love in my life. I told her that there seemed to be no sense in continuing this worthless life and that I was feeling happy that I had arrived at heaven's door. She replied, "Every person has his share of happiness and sorrow in his life. However, in some peoples' lives it is not evenly distributed. So they suffer more for some part of their life but live a happier life for the the remainder of their lifetime or vice versa. You have seen many hardships; would you not like to witness the happiness which might be lying right around the corner? Life is a precious gift Sagar, and you must never undermine its value. Would you not give it one more chance?" Her simple but powerful words moved something inside me. She continued, "You are at heaven's door, son! Now you could either stay here or return and give life another go. I leave the decision to you. After all, it's your life!" Suddenly, a new ray of hope shone through my heart. I could not believe it. I had never felt so optimistic before. Ultimately, I just said, "Thank you! May I go back?" She smiled again and said, "Only if you can make it fast. The gate to heaven will be permanently closed for you if you stay in here past the visiting hours. After all, every place has its rules and they need to be followed!" I suddenly went up to the woman and kissed her on the cheek and hugged her tightly. After a few moments had passed, she said, "Go Sagar, life awaits you!" I asked, "Where will I see you again?" She said, "I will always be with you, my boy. Whenever you need me, just remember me and I'll be there." Our conversation was interrupted by some creaking sound. I looked back at the open door through the mist. It was moving slowly. The fact that it was closing struck me like lightning. I bolted towards the door. Will I make it, will I not? It seemed to be moving faster now. I won't make it! No, I have to! With these thoughts on my mind and a prayer on my lips, I just leaped through the air in a hope to reach the other side.


I felt some tingling in my head, it hurt a lot. I opened my eyes and saw a middle aged woman in a white suit standing next to me. I could swear that for a moment I saw the woman from heaven when I opened my eyes. She asked, "Are you fine, my boy? You are a lucky chap to have survived that car accident without any major injury." I beamed and replied, "Yes, I am surely lucky, and I feel better than ever!" The lady smiled back mysteriously and said, "Well then, welcome to the family!"

© Copyright 2014 Amitesh Singh (amitesh7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2014412-If-Heaven-Had-Visiting-Hours