*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017714-Not-Him
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #2017714
Sweet romance... hopefully fun with a couple of small twists.
Chapter One
         Melody Tyler hadn’t driven home alone in almost three years. Todd or Jane usually drove when they came home from college for holidays or weekends, much to the chagrin of her brothers.
         She grinned at the memory of the first time Todd brought her home. Ash blonde curls danced around his tan face accenting his blue eyes. He made a real show of it when he took her bags in, which caused her brothers to lose any indication of civility. Serves them right always with their noses in my love life. A large raindrop splattered against the windshield blocking her sight of the road for the second until the wiper swished it away.  Think about the road, Mel.The pavement, considered dangerous in the best of weather with its sharp curves and drop-offs, stretched in front of her. In the downpour, she needed to devote her full attention to driving. She slowed, best to be safe. Nightfall edged its way across the horizon. It gave the whole area a deep amber glow. She applied pressure to the brakes. Less than two miles and I’ll make it home in time for Mom’s Good Friday dinner, half the town will be there. It’ll be great to see everyone.          Lights flashed red and blue as she rounded the last big curve before her street. She slammed on the brakes and her car fishtailed on the slick road. A semi sat on top of a black four-door car.
         Her head raced, and her eyes filled with tears. Realization sank in, but it couldn’t be. When she spoke with her mother less than thirty minutes earlier the cooking was almost done. Mom had forgotten the sugar free whipped cream, again. Mel had offered to pick it up but Mom insisted she and Dad wanted to grab something else while they were out.
         She pulled her car into a driveway and came to a stop. The smashed car’s plates became clear through the rain, “LVTOTCH” live to teach - her parents’ car.  Her stomach turned as she slammed the car into park.
         Time seemed to speed up. She opened the door, raced from the car toward the wreckage. They needed her help, she had to get to them. A sudden burst of energy rushed through her. The darkness and rain enveloped her, only thoughts of her parents in her mind.  She ran past the emergency personnel, most of them friends of her family. An officer grabbed her wrist, and then motioned for help.
         “Miss Tyler, you can’t go up there.”
         She hit him hard on the shoulder because he refused let her go, to let her see that her parents were all right. She impulsively hit him again, while his other arm wrapped around her waist.
         “Ow! Mel that hurt!” She looked to see a mix of anger and sympathy on his face. “You can’t go up there.”
         Another policeman moved between her and what used to be her parents’ car. He blocked the scene from her. “Did anyone know you’re on the way home?”  Uniforms didn’t mean much to Mel, just more of her brothers’ friends.
         “Mom, Dad. Let me see them.” The high pitched sound of her voice sent her heart pounding harder from the constant barrage of emotions. Anger, sadness, even hope that they’d made it somehow all coursed through her at once. Surreal described the situation, Mel felt like she was stuck in a horror movie.
         She slid sideways to watch as officers put tarps over the wreckage in slow motion. The paramedics walked away and shook their heads. It increased the emptiness that tried to engulf her.
         Arms and leg flailed about, her muscle ached from the force she used.  Her hands beat furiously at him as she spun to try and free herself from his grip. She needed her parents, needed to hold them let them know someone was there.
         The officer’s grip tightened. “You can’t drive like this. Come on to my car and I’ll call someone to come get you.”
         “No. Let me go. You don’t understand…”  Uncontrollable shaking spread through her body, she felt her muscles flexing against the officers arms in hopes of getting free.
         Gabrielle’s car slid to a stop behind hers. A man stepped out of the driver’s side. It had must be her brother, Roy, driving his fiancé’s convertible. Gab never let anyone else near that classic 1956 Thunderbird.
         Mel managed to slip from the officer’s grip and run toward the car. Tears filled her eyes and in the dark she could only make out the silhouette of a man, arms opened for her. She threw herself into them and let the tears flow freely. All the emotions raging in her were more than she could stand. Here in his arms a strange numbness began to engulf her. He held her tight. She never remembered such tenderness, as he stroked her hair. Then Roy’s car pulled up.
         Roy’s voice came from the driver’s side of his car. “No!” Roy ran to their parents’ car. It took three officers to restrain him. Gab ran to his side and tried to console him. After one last attempt Roy fell to the ground on his knees sobbing. Gab knelt beside him arms wrapped around him.
         Mel turned her face up to see sad blue eyes locked on her. Why did Mike drive Gab’s car? It didn’t make sense, nothing did. She didn’t want to think, all she wanted to do was melt into the comfort he offered.
         “Here’s a blanket. She’s probably going into shock. You need to keep her warm.” The officer gave him a blanket and turned to walk away.
         “Thanks.” He wrapped a warm blanket around her. “Shh, I’m here Mel. We’ll be fine.”  Soft words let her release the pain that pounded through her as a quiet dread took over. He pulled her close as the rain rolled down her face with the tears.
         The rest of the night passed in a blur. All that stayed clear in her mind was the look in his eyes and his arms around her. He never let her go.
         
         Chapter Two
         
         Mel looked out the cab window over the campus of St. Thomas. A surge of warmth filled her heart. Golden sunbeams pierced the pink glow that settled over the school. It all seemed so peaceful. The center of the long U shaped driveway, better known as The Park to St. Thomas students filled with trees and wide open lawn. Kids roamed about the area while others sat under the trees and enjoyed the breeze. Tears welled in Mel’s eyes. For the first time since her parents’ death, almost five months ago, she felt a little at home. Her parents missed her college graduation. They didn’t even know she landed the teaching position at St Thomas, their school.
         The hustle of the students made a stark contrast to the calm tranquility of the surroundings. She jerked as the cab came to an abrupt stop. Before Mel had time to react Todd’s head popped through the open car window.
         “Hello, gorgeous. Thought I’d have to fight one of your brothers to lay eyes on you today. Roy’s the only one that doesn’t get bent out of shape when I’m within a hundred feet of you.” Mel heard a thud on the roof of the cab. Todd had slammed his hand against it. “It’s easier to get hit by a cab than deal with those brothers of yours.”
         Mel’s best friends from college knew she’d be back today. Just like Todd to stake out the driveway in ambush.          The cab driver piped up, “I should have hit you the way you jumped in front of the car.”
         “Sorry about that, but we wanted to see Mel.” Todd smirked at the driver then turned to Mel, “I told Jane you’d take a cab before you’d call anyone.”
         “Leave her alone Swanson. You shouldn’t be bothering a nice girl like her.”  The driver’s voice hissed. His daughter had been one of Todd’s many girlfriends in high school.
         Mel shifted her weight, moved forward to the edge of the seat and prepared to give the driver a piece of her mind. His daughter chased Todd everywhere, along with a lot of other local girls. Todd never was a one gal type of guy. Not until recently that is.
         Laughter erupted from the window where Todd still rested his arm against the door. “See even he doesn’t think I’m not good enough for little Mel Tyler.” A fist hit Todd in the arm, he leaned back from the window and hands pushed him sideways.
         “Behave yourself.” Jane’s beautiful face popped through the window. The long straight black hair, olive complexion and haunting brown eyes gave her an exotic look.  “Hey Mel. We’re leaving. Just getting Todd settled in his office.” Jane smiled. “We’re all going to dinner tonight, right?”
         “Text me and we’ll figure it out. Now get out of the way before the people behind us start honking.”
         “Ok. Talk to you later.” Jane said while she pushed Todd onto the sidewalk.
         “I don’t understand why you and Miss McNaughton hang around with that Swanson kid. He’s trouble. Everyone knows it.” The driver apparently had no qualms about giving her a piece of his mind.
         “Thanks for the concern.” Mel tried to sound casual, but it came out more flippant than she wanted.
         Why does anyone older think it's all right to call us kids? She was twenty four, barely, but still a woman. And not everyone thought of Todd as trouble. Not Mel or Jane, but they didn’t really know him until college. Mel often thought of how he’d been more protective of them than any of her brothers. It felt comfortable with him.
         The driver’s door swung open, the sound of it pulled Mel’s attention back to her frustration at him. “I’ll get my stuff. After the plane ride and drive I need to move. You don’t have to get out.”  The fake smile she’d plastered on almost faded, but she managed to get the door open before her anger broke the facade.
         She paid him, stepped out the door, walked to the trunk, and sat her suitcases by the curb then returned to the open door leaned in to grab her laptop and purse. She bolted up from her bent position when a girl squealed behind her, “He’s so hot! I’m melting.” A huge amount of teenage giggling erupted from the walk. Mel looked to see group of about six or seven rush toward the girls’ dorms.
         Stepping back from the cab her mind on her new job, she ran into what felt like the side of a building. She turned and looked up into those icy blue eyes piercing her like a knife.
         A chill ran through her. A strange tingle mixed with it when he grabbed her elbow to keep her from falling back into the cab. At least six foot two, he still had that strong, substantial football player’s body. No wonder I thought I hit something solid. A complexion turned dark amber by the rays, and his dark chestnut brown hair had the slightest red highlights that glistened in the sun. Mike Robert’s seemed more handsome than ever, but fear gripped her. Not ready for the inevitable fight. He won't make a scene in front of the students. Will he? Like she needed another brother to argue with, but he wasn’t her brother. At least he fought fair without letting everyone around them interfere or gang up on her.
         A shiver went through her as his eyes focused on hers with intensity. Anger burned in his eyes as his hand slid along Mel’s arm. Mike appeared to still be furious at her job choice and he had no problem making sure she knew it. He should have known it would happen sooner or later. It was all either of them ever wanted. To teach at St. Thomas where her parents had taught until their death, one of the dreams they shared.
         Mike went for a Masters in Educational Administration, preparing for the position he really wanted, Principal. Mr. Halbert planned to retire at the end of the school year and Mike would spend the year being groomed to take his spot. At least Mel wouldn’t have to share many duties with him. No classes for a leader in the making and definitely no lowly cafeteria duty. That thought made her wish her family was here. It didn’t matter how much they meddled she’d never leave them.
         The only Tyler to go into education out of all seven, Mel smiled a little at how her parents encouraged her gift with children. Their delight at her career choice was obvious. If they could be here, with that same encouragement, for her as she began her career.
         The abrupt removal of Mike’s hand from her arm slammed her thoughts into the present as she stumbled to gain her balance.  A warm smile crossed his face for a second before he spoke. “I’ll have the custodian help you to your apartment with those.”
         “Mike, its fine I can manage.” Gentle might be the way to handle the hostility.
         That fire in his eyes erupted into volcanoes as he looked at her but the rest of his face became emotionless. Mel flinched as if he hit her. What did I do now?
         “Miss Tyler, we do not address each other by first names when students are present. I am sure you remember that.”
         He looked at her as if he wished her away instantly. Face warm from his intense inspection, Mel’s anger tried to seep out. They argued all the time. What did you expect?  Honest with herself, she hoped for a civil exchange. Hoped they could be more like they were that first month or so after her parents died.
         “I... Well, Yes I do remember that, but it slipped. I mean, we’ve known each other so long I forgot.”  Not sure how to respond to him in this new role. Technically she didn’t report to Mike but it didn’t make sense to alienate him more.
         “Even your parents called each other Mr. and Mrs. in front of the students.”
         “It won’t happen again, Mr. Roberts. I’m sorry.” Sarcasm filled the words. Mel felt ashamed of herself. Less than an hour at home and she’d fallen into her old angry habit of dealing with controlling men in her life. On top of that she had to fight back tears at the mention of her parents.
         “Fine. Good afternoon Miss Tyler.” Mike grabbed one of the younger student’s trunks that blocked the sidewalk. He yanked it to the side and began to walk away. Muscles flexed under the blue dress shirt he wore, when he pulled another trunk one-handed across the sidewalk. He dropped it on the grass and headed toward the boys dorms. Teenage giggles filled the air.
         Mel looked up. A smile invaded her face to see them watch Mike pass by. In his thirties and he still sends teenage girls’ heart a flutter like a movie star. He picked up a third trunk and dropped it with a bang onto the concrete out of the way.
         “Mike’s still his same old charming self.” A man’s deep voice whispered in her ear.
         

© Copyright 2014 Lucinda Denise (ldenise64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017714-Not-Him