*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019509-The-History-of-NaNoWriMo
Rated: E · Essay · Writing · #2019509
For Kiya's Wodehouse Challenge.
According to the National Novel Write Month website, NaNoWriMo is “an annual internet-based creative writing project that takes place during the month of November. NaNoWriMo challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel from November 1 until the deadline at 11:59PM on November 30.” NaNoWriMo began in 1999 in the San Francisco Bay Area when the twenty-somethings that began the site gathered just to write. The aspirations of writing a novel for the creators was like the aspirations musicians have of starting a band when they are young and out of college. Although the writers didn’t accomplish their goals, the workshops they created and the fun they had, they wanted to challenge others and fifteen years later—they have succeeded!

I’ve been a member of Writing.com since 2006 and each year I love watching the NaNoLounge. I love looking at discussions and everyone’s progress. I know NaNoWriMo is great for a lot of people because it gives them the discipline to plan out everything, then work to that plan. It’s a sense of accomplishment when you can get your goals completed in a month. For writers who have trouble sticking to deadlines or are starting out writing, it’s an inexpensive (free!) way to learn about the importance of deadlines because once they are in the working world, time is money. I think NaNoWriMo is a great introduction to writers who want to break out. I’m in job searching mode now for a second job and I know time management skills are the first thing brought up in an interview (and I mention my self-published books, which employers like hearing about because it’s great to show how you manage time at entry level). I also think it gives people a chance to get the bones of their story and in December they can go back and add to it. They might have a chance of publishing, which is a great experience as well.

I have always wanted to finish NaNoWriMo, but for me the month of November is tricky because I am also a crafter and I start making Christmas gifts. I always start a novel, but in the past I had school as well, I could never finish with other assignments I had. This year it’s been gift making, but a lot of attention has been going to finding a second job. What I planned my novel to be; it has some personal experiences and I need some time with writing it—this novel is going to be a slow one because of some of the feelings are hard. They’re still fresh for me. I am learning this year from trying to start NaNoWriMo that certain novels do take time and you have to be mindful of your feelings. I have to plan a target audience. I’m hoping one of these years I can actually finish—maybe start making gifts in July and have them done by October so I can participate in NaNoWriMo. One can always hope!

Word Count: 500
© Copyright 2014 Future Mrs. B (dunkelhetstern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019509-The-History-of-NaNoWriMo