*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019807-A-Reproach-to-the-Neighbors
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2019807
The neighbors are not fond of Rachel and Noah and resent their religious ways.
A Reproach to the Neighbors
Word count: 1129 prompt picture

Rachel stood in the doorway watching the sunrise and her husband, Noah. They had gotten back late last night after the funeral of his grandfather, but her predictable husband had gotten up at his usual time. Every morning for years he had gotten up and hit the workshop while it was still cool. All too soon the heat of the day would come, and then no one wanted to be outside.

She knew his grandfather had encouraged Noah, and that was fine. The old man had lived a long time, outlived his sons and daughters. Noah and the old man were very close, and it worried her that Noah was hurting.

Still, he continued his normal behavior. Standing out there in the sand, quietly, and she felt sure he was praying. That was good. While she stood there watching him, she prayed as well. She asked God to watch over him, and their family, no matter what the future held. And like Noah, she trusted that He would always be there.


Noah shed a few tears as he watched the sun rise, peeking through the clouds. The rosy glow hinted at rain to come. He had hoped the old man would live to see him complete his project, his boat. They had spent much time talking about it, and he knew that he would miss his grandfather’s guidance and the twinkle in his eye as they talked about God. He prayed that he would be as strong for his sons; he trusted that the time his grandfather spent with them would mean as much to them in future as well.

Noah sighed. He was nearly finished with his boat. Soon they would sail in it, but he knew in his heart that he had hoped the old man would have been able to sail as well. He went to pick up his tools. It was time to finish his project.



Lebon lived close to Noah, and wished he lived elsewhere. When Noah began working in the mornings, it always woke Lebon up. The crazy fool, he thought. There he goes again. It’s bad enough he’s building that monstrosity over there, but does he have to start every single morning at the crack of dawn? Lebon groaned. His head was killing him. That was some party last night. Those girls were something!

That was another thing about Noah that annoyed him. He thinks he’s too good for the rest of us. Always talking about that God of his. He needs to relax a little, have some fun. The jerk. He groaned again, as the incessant hammering seemed to be going through his head. He covered it over, and fell back asleep.



Several hours later, Rachel looked up from her work. Heavy dark clouds were filling the sky. It won’t be long before the rain hits. I’d better finish up with the animals and get them settled. The wind is really picking up. It will be good to finally have some rain.

The dog followed her as she fed the chickens, and then milked the cow. She looked out to check on Noah. He was putting his tools away. She filled a mug with the fresh milk, and carried it to him. He took it, thanking her. As he sipped, she asked, “Is it all done?”

How she loved his sweet smile! “Yes,” he answered. “It’s all done.”

She looked over at the boat, the work of his hands. “It’s beautiful,” she said. “You and the boys have done a great job.”

He hugged her. “It is time to go inside. The rain is going to hit any minute now. Where are the boys?”

“Everyone’s inside but us.”

Thunder rumbled across the sky. Noah gave Rachel a gentle push. “Go on. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Rachel turned back to look at him, just before she stepped up to the door. I’m so proud of him, she thought. Compared to the other men around, he has just so much to offer. Her heart lifted a little thank you to God, as she entered the door.



Noah stood feeling the wind. He had taken off his shirt earlier, and Rachel had carried it in. The wind felt cool and fresh. He could smell the rain coming, and the sand at his feet stirred with the wind. You’ve brought me through all of this, God. This rain is going to wash everything clean. How can I ever praise You enough for Your protection?

He heard the first little rain drops before he saw them. As the rain began, gently he raised his arms and laughed as the rain fell on his face. God, You are so good to us!



Lebon woke to the sound of the thunder. He groggily got up and went to relieve himself. He washed his face. The sound of rain outside drew him to the window. He couldn’t help but look over at Noah’s.

What’s that fool up to now? Is he dancing? A grown man dancing in the rain? He watched Noah, arms upraised; he shook his head. A groan emerged, Lebon wishing he hadn’t moved his head.

A strident voice from the next house scolded, “You kids get in here this minute. Don’t you know enough to get in out of the rain?”

Lebon snickered. Evidently Noah doesn’t! He glanced out the window again, but Noah was gone.


As Noah entered, the door shut behind him. He stopped for a moment, and then went on in, where his sons and their wives were already waiting. Rachel had prepared a special meal “to celebrate the completion of the boat.”

They all raised their cups. “To a job well done!” the oldest son said.

The rain grew heavier; they could hear its steady sound, as well as thunder. “This is turning into quite a storm,” Rachel’s voice was nearly drowned out by the sound of the squall. The dog, lying at their feet, whined.

“We’ll be fine,” came the answer.

“Oh, I know that. I’m not afraid.” There was a loud thud; the reverberation indicated lightening hit something nearby. “I wonder about the neighbors.”

There wasn’t much to say about that. Noah put his arm around her, and she sighed, content. “I’m sorry that Grandfather couldn’t be with us.”

“Me, too. I always knew, deep down that he wouldn’t be. God told us that the judgment would come when he died.”

“I know. We tried so hard to warn the neighbors, but they just laughed. They will all soon wish they were in the ark with us. Will you let them in?”

“I can’t,” Noah answered. “God closed the door to the ark. It won’t open now until the judgment is complete."
© Copyright 2014 Magicmama (beccav at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019807-A-Reproach-to-the-Neighbors