*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2020006-Voice-Of-The-Moon
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2020006
A Young girl admires the beauty of the night, and gets saved from herself.
In the unforgiving cold breeze of a December night I sat upon my windowsill observing the brilliant radiance of the moon, her pale shine dimly illuminated the blackened streets of my not so sizable town. The very sight was breathtaking at the very least as grey clouds rolled over covering her face only the slightest. I opened my window and shivered as a short but powerful gust of unbearably cold wind slipped through the newly found opening. Cautiously I stepped onto the roof, The icy surface bit my toes without remorse and as a ventured on the bitter air nipped at my noes and ears, goosebumps appeared all over my body by the hundreds. I felt the heat quickly leave my body and with every breath I took the steam like vapor emitted from my mouth and was quickly carried off by the steady current air that blew without pause.

When I happened upon the edge of the roof I took in the sweet melody of silence for not a passing carriage, nor a howling wolf existed in this presence to adulterate it's sweet serenity. I peered out into the mostly dark landscape that is the town and took note that only a miniscule majority of the houses had their lanterns lit. I studied the height from my person to the ground and to most it would be rather unnerving, but not to me, not tonight.

I thought, I thought, I thought about the accursed hand I had been dealt in the sick and twisted game we all call life. Every unfortunate event that unfolded, and every moment of bliss I would never have a pleasure to relive. An enormous cloud of black slowly creeped in the outermost region of the limited peripheral vision, I eyed the huge clock tower and while doing so I noticed that it was only a two short minutes until the bell rang twelve.

As the cloud completely covered the face of the moon, and the hour hand hit the top of the clock tower thus making the bells go off I saw my one and only opportunity to take matter into my own hands and rid myself of the hells on earth. I bent my knees and took one final breath and went to leap as far out as I could to fall graciously to my mortality, but I was grabbed, specifically on my arm and a voice as sweet as an angle's from heaven whispered into my ear ¨Child, do not bare yourself with the unpleasantries of the self induced mortality, for what good comes, bad must come as well. To experience the light one must find their was out of the the dark, and if you could overcome the obstacles of the past then you can over come the obstacles in the future.¨

I stepped back, I spun around quickly to catch whatever was there, if something was there, but there was nothing, just the darkness and the unforgiving and bitter cold of the night. I began to walk back, I chewed upon the mysterious voice that stopped me when I was at my most determined, and some how brought back a tiny sliver of hope into what I thought was a cold dead heart that sat lifelessly in my chest. I got back to the windowsill and took one last look behind me, The moon in all of her beauty smiled at me, and the silence remained unbroken leaving it peaceful once more.

I climbed back into my room and slowly closed my window, I then pulled the blinds into place and fixed them straight. The nearly frostbitten parts of my body breather a sigh of complete and utter relief in the heat of my room. I found myself to be tired and laid in bed, as my head hit the pillow I couldn't help but to think to thank the mysterious voice that saved me from myself. So I rolled over and looked at the bleakness of my covered window and spoke those two words...¨Thank You.¨
© Copyright 2014 Gonzalez, James (purifex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2020006-Voice-Of-The-Moon