*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2021931-An-Awesome-Burden-Which-Greeting-to-Use
by Archie
Rated: E · Other · Holiday · #2021931
Is there really a war on Christmas? Perhaps not.
Do you feel what I feel?  The awesome responsibility of choosing the correct greeting to use is a heavy burden for many each year at this time.  Which is more appropriate, "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Holidays"?  To avoid the possibly unbearable burden of other religions, other cultures, other beliefs, I'll contain myself within the realm of those two greetings, although, the thought process I'm using will work equally well with any other belief system, or non-belief system.

What particularly strikes as odd to me during this prime season is the alleged good will we are supposedly expressing to each other, even those who do not share our exact beliefs.  If, for instance, an alien, one from a foreign planet, approached me with what passed for a smile and said, "Blrathys glergmau,"  I would probably smile and return with a greeting of "Hello." 

Basically, whatever phrase one uses during this time of year, he or she is wishing you some form of good will and happiness.  The words are not as important as the feelings expressed.  Yet, I have read of people being wished a "Happy Holiday" getting angry and devolving into a radically dysfunctional, ranting monster.  Why?  I have had people wish me a "happy holiday" and I have responded with a "Merry Christmas," and I'm not even a Christian.  For me, 'tis Christmas and "Merry Christmas" is good and proper.  For others it may not be.  It does, though, take a lot of the joy out of the holiday season if I have to perform a quick analysis of those I meet to determine which greeting will best express the joy I feel in meeting them.

Keep in mind that one of the many reasons for this season is to spread goodwill amongst your fellow inhabitants of this planet.  Intent is most important, and if the intent is good; why worry about the words?

And, in the best feeling of the season, let me wish you all a happy solstice!
© Copyright 2014 Archie (archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2021931-An-Awesome-Burden-Which-Greeting-to-Use