*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022011-Entry
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2022011
word count 980

We touched down in Bozeman after a turbulent declension through the clouds. After reserving our rental we headed off on I 130 to Gallatin for three days of horseback riding through the Mountains of Big Sky Country. This was a yearly tradition for my wife and I. Early November, in Big Sky is the off - season. The summer activities are closed for the year and the Ski season is still a few weeks away. Most of the stables are closed but a few stay open all year round. The weather is Southwest Montana is unpredictable this time of year. During the day is can be anywhere from 60 and sunny to below 32 and snowing, I’ve seen both, in the same day. That’s the volatility you deal with late fall in the northwest.

Claire and I prearranged an all day trail ride for our second day with the folks at the Red Creek Stables. The ride was scheduled for 9:00am and would take us through the mountain trails of the Gallatin National Forest It included a lunch on the trial around a campfire. We pulled up the stables around 8:45am. We registered and were introduced to our horses. Claire's horse was named Thunder while I was sized up with a Palomino named Patch. The ranch provided a trial guide for us. Her name was Ally. She was a student at the University of Montana majoring in Equine Studies. She took a survey of our riding experience and gave us a brief overview of the plans for the ride.

We mounted our horses and headed off to the back - country trials of the Rocky Mountains of Montana. The morning temperature was a mere 23 degrees. The forecast was "iffy" and kept changing. You just don’t know when your in the high elevations because a cloud could roll in at any time, block the sun and dowse the the land with moisture. That can be rain or snow depending on the temperature and lot or a little depending on the cloud density. For our ride, the skies above were clear but there was darkness in the distance of the big sky.

The view of the land was breathtaking along the way. By noon we reached the farthest point from our destination. This is where we were to dismount and set up our campfire. The rest of the ride would be heading back to our destination. Ally was riding Timothy. He also saddled the supplies for our BBQ. The area was prepared for building a fire as this was a common area used by trail riders. I carried some logs from a pile nearby and Claire helped Alley unload the provisions. We sat around the fire, as much to get warm, as to cook our meal.

While eating we became aquainted with each other. Ally was from Texas. She came to Montana to attend the University. Horses were her passion and she loved nothing more then guiding riders through the area. As we talked however, the darkening skies continued to approach. The temperature seemed to be dropping unexpectedly however, and soon became the topic for our conversation.

“Is it supposed to snow?” I asked.

“Don’t know” Ally replied. We just assume it will snow at any time out here. “ You really cant predict the weather here in Gallatin.”

We decided it would be a good idea to cut our meal short and head back. Ally recommended that we alter our course and take the more direct route back to the stables. Sensing that her voice turned from cause to concern, we agreed. This route took us directly over High Point Ridge. It was a bee - line over the highest elevation on the range. Unfortunately, while it was the most direct route back, it also took us higher and higher into the darkness above. Soon a light mist of freezing rain turned into a blinding flurry of white.

In my entire life, I’ve never snow so quick and so thick. Ally turned and shouted, “ Just hold on and don’t let go.”

“Are you okay Claire?” I shouted. There was no answer. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t see. I didn’t know where she went.

Just then I could hear the pounding of hooves coming from Ally’s direction.

“ Hold on and keep going. Patch will get you back. I will find Claire!”

So I followed her lead. The snow piled up on my body and I was probably frozen but fear kept me from feeling anything. My instinct told me to duck my head and give Patch a swift kick. She took off and I held on. Before I knew it, we were over the ridge and descending toward our destination. After about 2 hours the sky started to open and I could see the ranch approaching.

We passed through the gate where we were met by Theresa one of the workers.

“Where’s Ally and Claire?”

“ I don’t know. We rode into a heavy storm. Ally called for us but Claire didn’t respond. She told me to keep going and she went for Claire.

“ Oh my god!” Theresa shrieked.
“What?” I asked
“ I just got word of a Grizzly attack not far from the camp where you guys had lunch.

My heart raced. I is was flushed in an instance with intense fear for Claire.

Then I turned toward a pounding of hoofs from the distance. I turned to see Ally racing toward us on her thoroughbred.

“Where’s Clair?” I cried as she approached.

“I’m right here!” and she moved her head out from behind Ally as they arrived together on one horse.
Ally climbed down and helped Claire dismount.

“Were you chased by a Grizzly?” I asked her.

We hugged. Claire was shaking uncontrollably.

“Thunder saved my life but she’s not coming back.”

© Copyright 2014 flyer10624 (flyer10624 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022011-Entry