*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022336-Earthquake-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2022336
Story of an earthquake in London, 2018. Very futuristic.
Niko, a 12 year old 2020 earthquake survivalist, walks by the River Thames soaking in the new sights being rebuilt and recalling the earthquake he survived. He remembers every single horror that had happened and is glad Tyche had heard his prayers and helped him. Niko finally after walking a good amount sat down on a bench near the river. His shaggy blonde hair ruffling in the wind and his blue eyes staring into the river.

Niko was only 10 when the earthquake struck. He was at home with his older brother, Arion, playing cards. The couch they were sitting on moved. They barely felt it. Only a few minutes after the couch moving, stuff breaking downstairs was heard. Niko and Arion both got up slowly and walked down. The entire downstairs was in ruins. Books had fallen off the shelves, broken glass and plates scattered the floor, and the door was swinging. Niko and Arion both ran upstairs and threw on jackets and running shoes. Niko glanced out the window and only saw the darkness of the street and yelling. The two boys quickly ran downstairs and left the building into the havocked street.

It was havoc. Hundreds of people were out on the streets. The streets were filled with water that had come out of the pipes and River Thames. Just as Niko and Arion had walked out the building, some of the brick roof of their house started falling off. Arion put his arm around Niko reassuring him that everything will be all good. Niko didn’t believe him.
“What’s happenin?” Niko asked, yelling above the noise.
“An earthquake. We’re to far from the boundaries thoughw. This shouldn’t be happening!” Arion responded. Niko, a fan of the old Greek myths, prayed to the goddess, Tyche, to help him and Arion through. “We need to get away from here!” Arion said. Niko held on to Arion’s jacket sleeve and walked through the crowds of people.

Niko and Arion walked through the crowds attempting to get out. Niko and Arion passed many buildings collapsing or that had already collapsed. What hurt Niko was the sight of all the people pulling at the rubble of fallen buildings. Niko looked up and saw that even the top of Big Ben had fallen off. It was the worst earthquake that Niko had heard and first big one he had been in. The question he kept asking himself was, is he going to live?

Niko and Arion only made it so far, when they came upon an even larger group. Panicked people started running into Niko, him being small. After about nearly an aeon of kicks and bumps from people, Niko lost the sight of Arion. He was a 10-year-old boy, separated from his brother, in the middle of a panicked city.

“Arion!” Niko yelled out. Niko jumped up and down trying to catch sight of his brother. “Arion!” He yelled out again. It was his worst nightmare. He guessed that Tyche never heard his prayer. “Arion!” Niko yelled again, so loud that some nearby people looked over at him. Still, his brother was no where to be seen. He gave up, he was going to die alone, without his brother, and not even be able to go see another Arsenal game.

He soon caught glance of his brother and started pushing through the crowd towards him. He heard a crash behind him and looked. The building behind had collapsed and people were buried underneath. People started running and pushing. Niko soon had no will to continue and after a giant shove got pushed over onto the hard floor below. His entire arms were scrapped. People started running over him. He curled up into a little ball and waited for Hades or Thanatos to claim him. It never came and the last sight before collapse was Arion.

Niko awoken to Arion’s face. They were by the River Thames. Niko got up.
“Hey little bro,” Arion said, who was sitting next to him.
“I want to see the city,” Niko said.
“Might not be the best,” Arion recommended.
“I need to see the city,” Niko said. Arion gave up and helped Niko up and stabled him. Niko wanted to cry at the sight. The River Thames was filled with rubble and turned over boats and the pavement was covered in red water. Niko also wanted to throw up. He started to collapse again, but Arion helped him. Arion held Niko by the arm and walked him around the destroyed city of London.

Hundreds of people were out picking up rubble from collapsed buildings attempting to try and find living survivors. Tyche had helped Niko, she helped by bringing his brother to him. Niko wanted to sleep forever right then and there. Many white tarps were around.
“What are the white tarps for?” Niko asked.
“You might not want to know,” Arion responded, pulling Niko away from the white tarp area.

Niko finally wakes up from the flashback and looks away from the river and looks straight. In the corner of his eye, he sees Arion sitting.
“Still traumatized?” Arion asks.
“What type of question is that? But, yea,” Niko responds, still looking out.
“It’ll go away,” Arion says.
“Thanatos took so many,” Niko mutters.
“At least we weren’t one,” Arion says.
“Why did it happen? We’re too far from the boundaries” Niko asks, looking at his older brother.
“I… I don’t. Even the science professor at Plymouth couldn’t figure it out,” Arion says.
“But aren’t we safe? We’re farther away from the coast and Folkestone takes the hit,” Niko states.
“We’re built on soft clay though,” Arion points out. “If we’re on soft clay, the houses have a easier time to collapse,” Arion adds.
“Whatever,” Niko mutters.
“Stop dwelling on the past though,” Arion says.
“I can’t!” Niko exclaims, shutting his eyes. Arion sighs.
“If you need me, I’ll be at home,” Arion tells him, getting up and walking away. Niko opens his eyes and stares back at the River Thames. More memories fluttering over.
© Copyright 2014 thatkidowen (soeyring at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022336-Earthquake-Story