*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022532-Indigo-Rising
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2022532
A teen boy discovers more of himself than the world in which he is from. (unfinished)
         With his back turned toward the mirrored wall and aware of the men watching him, Billy sits cross legged with his eyes closed, motionless. He can feel the coldness of the room seep into him as he begins to drift further within himself blocking out every familiar sense of this era and its modern walls that keep the very stream of consciousness out that the white coats seek. Pushing with his spirit through a thick veil of a deep meditation and a multitude of auras he begins his search for the light. A path that leads through the darkness of this time to another. A room begins to form with ethereal walls and a static shimmer washes over the scene like that of an old news broadcast during a stormy night. Listen.
         “…an unknown comet entering what is known to astrologers as Orion’s Belt can be seen in the southwestern skies within the next few weeks. Researchers from the Hubble Space Station state that this is truly a phenomenon…” the news anchor stated. “…Scientists are baffled at the speed and size of the comet.”
         An old man reaches out and turns off the TV mumbling to himself. “What good is it to tell these people anything? They won’t listen…tried for years.” The man stands and scratches inattentively at the scar on the back of his neck, “They said I was crazy. Ha! Crazy isn't the word for it when that comet comes closer to us.
         “Sweetheart!” He calls out as he heads upstairs to the kitchen. “Hey, you should have seen this guy last night—”
         Just then a loud vibration shuddered the house followed by a loud crack from within the walls that reverberated the air. Again, the ground shook violently rolling the old man backwards down the stairs. Terrifying screams broke from the top of the stairs, a woman not fully comprehending what has just happened fumbles one step at a time towards her husband lying motionless at the bottom; a cloudiness washes over his dark eyes, the old man never made another sound. Through tears of anguish, she just screams out wordlessly. Billy knew just what had happened—the house had split in two from an object that fell from the sky. A heat radiates from within the other side of the room. A deep surreal darkness veils the complete picture, only steam and hot embers breathe within the open chasm left from the fallen object. Sirens sound in the distant as the first responders make their way to the crash site.
         Billy looks down at his hands feeling guilty and ashamed that he is not able to help the woman lying next to her dead husband in her grief and anger. Unexpectedly, a slight touch on the back of his neck startles him back into the nightmare. Confused by the nature and intent behind the graze, it felt as a reassuring touch, an icy trace still lingers just on the surface of his skin. Billy’s eyes snap up just in time to see a shadow of a woman fade from the stairwell. “Maia?”

         A coldness rushes into Billy, there are loud voices coming from behind the mirrored wall, the link between him and what is to be the near future is lost. Rubbing his eyes to get them accustomed to the brightly lit room Billy stares back at the cold reflection looking back at him surrounded by blue-gray walls and white furnishings. Anguish settles in at the abrupt end of his meditation and towards the white coats with their stark experiments. Then the returning thought of the news broadcast leaves only an emptiness with a bit of guilt. Pushing back his fears of what he just seen, Billy traces the rays of a rising star on his left hand. Long ago his people have told him that he was destined for great things because of this sign on his hand. Right now he don’t feel like these great things he is destined for are so great. “I cannot let them have control of me!” Billy whispers.
         “Doctor, the room plummeted nearly twenty degrees! You think we should stop this?” the technician asked excitedly. “This is phenomenal!” One of the other doctors in the observation booth waves off the technician as he walks closer and reads the data being printed on the ticker tape. Whatever just occurred is now over.
         Doctor Merrick walks closer to the window astonished by the readings of the session. Just simply remarkable. This is a day of reckoning he thought. A self-induced trance-like state with physical phenomenon such as this has never been recorded with Indigo children. This may just give him a Nobel. The doctor pauses in his thoughts while looking at the teenager coldly staring at him. ” What are you up to, Billy?” he questions. Billy turns lost in his own thoughts and looks up at the TV screen mounted on the wall and listens to the breaking news.
         “…an unknown comet entering what is known to astrologers as Orion’s Belt can be seen in the southwestern skies—“
© Copyright 2014 Drake Stonesoul (drstonesoul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2022532-Indigo-Rising