*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023078-A-Little-Bit-of-Kindness
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2023078
What is the meaning of Christmas to you?
There is so much pressure on people (mostly caused by themselves trying to live up to others expectations of them) that the holiday season even though based on paganism has lost its reason for being.

As a child, Christmas was not about toys or electronics, but about giving and thankfulness.  If the summer crops were good, and the winter not too harsh, we would all get a toy or something else that we really wanted all year, but all of us would have family time together.

We would visit friends and relatives, and we would knock on their doors with a big greeting "Christmas greetings!" and whoever answered the door would respond with "Give it here!" and they would hand you an apple, orange or some other fruit while inviting you in to be a part of their holiday cheer.  You would be offered fruitcake, eggnog or some other cake and drink as they shared their Christmas cheer and spirit with you.

Children would go outside or where ever to play and share their gift.  The community knew who was having a hard time, and many would bring Christmas to them to make sure that they were not left out.  Yes, there was a reason for the season because worship services, prayer, and sharing were the order of the day.  Of course, we also ate well (Can't remember too many turkeys dying for my Christmas dinner, but every now and then one might have given his or her life for my dining pleasure.)  Whatever we had, we were blessed, and that blessing meant that we shared with those around us.

My Mother being one of the best cooks in the world (she was not called a chef, but she was the head cook and baker at the elementary school, and cooked everything from scratch; head cook and baker at Hoke's Restaurant and several other restaurants around Jesup and Broadhurst Georgia, in addition to cooking and baking at home), always cooked and baked more than enough for everyone.  Throughout the day, callers would be greeted with a portion of her baking delights including taffy candy and white fruitcake that my brother and I worked hard to help her make.  Christmas was a sacred time of the year.  A time to be thankful.  A time to look back and forward.  It was special.

Today, many of us have gotten caught up in the commercial aspect of Christmas. To too many of us Christmas has no meaning or value beyond what can be purchased or given or received.  Many of us are teaching our children to be materialistic about Christmas.  Few of us will take our children to church let alone work with them all year long to perform in the Christmas play.  Do they even know about caroling from one house to the other?  Better yet, do they know any Christmas carols?  Hot apple cider, coconut and red velvet cake, and oh my gosh fruitcake of every kind with apples and oranges and coconuts, and Christmas candy, and, yes, Christmas dinner with the family.  Christmas.

I lounge for those days of family and friendship; for uncles and aunts who traveled day and night by train and/or car to come home for Christmas to sleep on the floor, couch or where ever; for cousin to chit chat with about their schools, boy/girlfriends; to sit around the fireplace and listen to the old folks talk about the good ole days. 

As we prepared for Christmas (I did not know about Hanukkah, Kwanza did not exist, etc.), we prayed for everyone in the world.  We prayed for ourselves first, our enemies, then friends and family.  We remembered "Our Father's prayer, especially Matthew 6:1414 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 

This Christmas, as you celebrate with your family and friends, forget about being politically correct, and embrace people where they are.  Those who may not look like you, act like you or believe in what you believe are creatures created by one creator.  Their beliefs are as valid as yours.  Love them unconditionally, and be alright with the fact that they don’t believe in Christmas.  You do not have to make them feel bad for you to feel good about your choice to celebrate this holiday.  That is what living in America is all about – FREEDOM OF CHOICE!

I may not believe in abortions, and I don’t, but I will fight to the death your right to have one, if that is your choice!  Enjoy the holidays or not, but PLEASE PLEASE don’t rain on mine.  I LOVE CHRISTMAS again, after more than twenty one years (since my Mother died in 1993).  So send cards, Christmas cheer, Happy Holidays, and good wishes my way, and I promise to send them back to you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Peace and blessings always.
© Copyright 2014 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023078-A-Little-Bit-of-Kindness