*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023079-People-are-Inconsiderate
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2023079
When people say hurtful things or portray everyone as the same.
Every now and then, I see and read something on Facebook that makes me want to respond in the negative.  When speaking negatively about something, an issue or comments, everybody gets lumped into the negative category even though the statics show that there are only a "FEW" people guilty of the negativity.

For example, "All White people are racists."  One of the most untrue statements out there.  Many Whites stood side by side with Blacks in the civil rights movement.  Many were not on the streets, but where do you think the money came from?

Another example, "All Black people are lazy, uneducated, and stupid."  Well, we know that NOT to be true because many of the inventions used in America today were created by Black people."

These blanket statements are demeaning and hurtful.  There are more than 7.125 billion people living on our planet.  MOST are considerate, compassionate, respectful, and law abiding people.  When making blanket statements such as people are inconsiderate and irresponsible, and laws that only serve to fill government coffers, we should remember that the masses may occasionally make a mistake, but our laws and actions punishes everyone regardless of the number of infractions.  Punitive laws and actions treat people as if they are all criminals while eyeing the revenue that the laws and actions will bring into government coffers.

General statements about "people" are unfair, and reminds me of my days in the work world. One person abuses the lunch hour and everybody gets punished and forced to clock in and out because now "everybody cheats.

Everybody does not speed, run lights, turn left on red, drive on shoulders, cross the yellow line to avoid waiting, etc. and most people are not irresponsible and inconsiderate.

However, if we treat them as if they are eventually they get the message and behave in the manner expected. We have tons of studies that prove that if you treat a child as if s/he is ignorant, dumb and stupid, eventually they will act that way. The same is true if you treat them as if they are bright, smart, and intelligent, etc. they will also act in that manner.

As my world changes around me, (like back in the day when we thought more positively about people and each other), I am often reminded of George Orwell's book,"1984" where Big Brother was always watching, brainwashing, and eliminating those who were different and did not go with the party line.  Pay close attention, and you will see Big Brother gets bolder and bolder every day.

President Roosevelt said that the only way Americans could lose the right to vote is for Americans to take that right away by not voting.  Well, the only way to lose your independence is to just go along to get along, and spout the party line. 

We the people MUST pay attention to the world around us.  We must speak out about injustice.  We must act on public policy issues such as hunger, homelessness, health care, and yes the increasing number of civil liberties that are being taken away one by one in the name of public safety, terrorism, and the likes.

Yes, there are some bad people out there.  Yes, there are rule breakers that make some rules necessary, but when we get to the point that we believe that we are the ONLY ones that's got it right, and can make a difference or that we are the ONLY ones that knows what is good for the masses, we NEED to check ourselves.

Former President Abraham Lincoln said it best:... that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.  November 19, 1863

Drive around America, all shopping malls look exactly alike.  Neighborhoods look exactly alike (even the ghettos).  Independent thinking is being erased.  Differences are no longer acceptable on any level.  We are told what to think, when to think it, and how to act when thinking.  We are being spied on, our movements tracked (visit a website, and watch the very product you checked out become a part of your Facebook page).  BIG BROTHER IS ALREADY HERE!  He is just getting more brazen and stronger. 

Adolph Hitler did not take over Germany over night.  He did it one day at a time as citizens gave up their rights one issue at a time.

Haven't read George Orwell's book 1984?  Check out this summary in a humorous style, but sends a very serious message to those that are listening and paying attention.  http://www.shmoop.com/1984/summary.html

Dare to be different!  Dare to speak out about injustice.  Dare to run for office, even if you know you will lose.  Dare to contribute to your community and your society.  Dare to be a part of the SOLUTION, and not part of the problem.

We can't always have it our way, but we certainly can be a part of deciding which way it will be!

Peace and blessings ALWAYS!
© Copyright 2014 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023079-People-are-Inconsiderate