*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023684-Charlies-Girls
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #2023684
Charlie's life is turned upside down when she agrees to help someone from her past.
The early morning sun illuminated the well furnished apartment, as the echo of a lock turning broke the calming silence. The whine of the hinges, as the door opened and closed, was followed by the soft patter of bare feet on the thick, terracotta carpet. There was a soft slap as the carpet ends and the cool, black and burnt orange tiles of the modern kitchen began. The soft thump of a small stack of envelopes hit the black, marbled breakfast bar that separated the kitchen and living room. The glowing LED clock on the cooker displayed 07:00 before it was blocked by the shapely bodied owner of the bare feet, as they began to prepare a cooked breakfast. The smell of sausage, bacon, eggs and mushrooms slowly filled the apartment. The sound of the bathroom door closing and the shower running did not distract the shapely body from their task, quickly and efficiently separating the prepared food on to two plates ready to be served. One plate was placed on to an already set up place setting on the bar, and the other next to a touch screen, chrome microwave. Multi-tasking, the cook started the microwave and pulled a glass and a mug from a cupboard above their head and placed them on the counter waiting to be filled. The wait was short for the mug, as the bubbling noise of the coffee maker signaled its readiness. The black liquid was poured into the mug, allowing the aroma to mix with the already present scent of the cooked breakfast it was set to accompany. The glass' wait was longer, patiently watching as the raw materials used for the morning meal were returned to the refrigerator before a carton of orange juice was taken out. The pulpy fluid filled the glass before the carton was returned to its cold home. A small framed woman with shoulder length dark brown hair emerged from the bathroom. The skirt suit she wore clung to her body like a second skin but allowed enough movement for the woman to slide on to the bar stool in front of the awaiting breakfast. Her tired brown eyes took in the meal before her. Picking up her knife and fork, the woman greeted the cook, her voice bright and cheery. "Morning, Charlie."
The microwave pinged and Charlie gave it her attention, swapping the plated breakfast for the hidden contents. She took the plate, of what appeared to be a simple evening meal, and sat at the bar opposite the slim, cheerful woman. She yawned out her delayed response. "Morning, Shannon."
Both women began to eat in a comfortable silence until a thought crossed Shannon's mind. "There any mail this morning?" Charlie nodded, reached for the mail stack, passed a few envelopes to her companion and resumed eating. "I've got a meeting tonight that will probably run late so I'll get take out." Boredom laced Shannon's tone. She looked over at an unresponsive Charlie, who was holding her head up with her hand as she ate lazily. "Do you want me to pick you up something?"
Charlie blinked rapidly as if to wake herself up, lifted her head off her hand as she shook her head and drank her juice. "No thanks." She finished her food, wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her black, long sleeved graphic T-shirt as she stood to make her way to the bathroom. The sound of the shower rang through the silent apartment once more. Seemingly unbothered, Shannon finished her breakfast and drank her coffee while reading through her mail. Fining nothing that required her immediate attention, she cleared the bar and washed the dished, her way of repaying Charlie for her well prepared meal. Charlie exits the bathroom, her faded ripped jeans and graphic T-shirt replaced by sweatpants and a tank top, and leans her hip against the end of the bar. She flips through the remaining mail and sighs. "Water bill. Electric bill. Gas bill. Air bill."
Shannon gave her a questioning look. "Air bill?"
Charlie gave a sheepish smile. "Joke."
Shannon playfully rolled her eyes as she put away the last of the now clean dished. "How much?" Charlie shrugged. "When you've worked it out, will you let me know?"
Charlie nodded. "Sure. I'll leave you a note. You seen the time?"
Shannon glanced at the clock on the cooker. Her perfectly drawn eyebrows raised in shock. "Oh shit!" her voice raised in pitch as she frantically ran and searched the living room. "I'm going to be late. Where's my bag?"
Charlie pointed to the rack next to the door. "Under your coat."
"Life saver." Shannon rushed to her coat, put it on and rapidly checked her bag, making sure she had everything she needed for the day. "Thank you."
"Have a good day."
"I'll try, thanks, Charlie. Sleep well. See you later."
Shannon gave Charlie a small wave as she left the apartment, the door slamming behind her. Charlie shook her in slight amusement and dropped the bills on the counter. She yawned as she ran a hand through her damp, dirty blond hair and sluggishly made her way to the back of the apartment and into her bedroom, closing the door behind her.
© Copyright 2014 Jemma Packma (jpax at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023684-Charlies-Girls