*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025552-Planetary-Exploration
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2025552
The Captain has to make a decision.
After a long period of suspended animation, our explorer landed on the fifth planet of star 14-65.43. We reported to mission control, that the planet had an atmosphere poisonous to us, but supported vegetation, and large, non-intelligent animals.

The crew was becoming reacquainted with each other. While our bodies hadn't aged during the cruise, our brains were kept active for education and keeping up with developments at home. As a result, each of us had grown individually, requiring some readjustment.

Some adjustments were harder than others.

My second in command was Pamela. Her husband Carl had divorced her during our flight. My wife Susan had done the same to me. Guess where they ended up.

The planet scanner led us to the entrance of a large underground cavern. While there was no sign of anything more than a large cavern, the instruments were recording discordant noises emanating from the entrance. Looked like an air lock, but with no measurements of air behind it.

Standard protocol called for sending a team in to reconnoiter.

"Pamela, select your team, and check it out," was my direction.

"Jackson, you stay with the captain. Mike, with me," Pamela called out.

"I'm not going in there," Mike responded. "The animals in there aren't dumb."

A wake up call for all of us. Mike was our assigned sensitive.

"Assemble the robot explorers," I directed.

"No time," said Mike, "here comes John, the bastard that cheated on me while we were out here."

Sure enough. Mike's ex, along with Pamela's and mine. And a fourth. Who the hell was she?

"Hi Jackson," she cooed.

"Blast them," I ordered, and successfully.

"How did you know captain?" Pamela asked.

"Someone for each?", I answered. "When did we ever get that lucky?"
© Copyright 2015 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025552-Planetary-Exploration