*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028284-When-life-throws-you-adventure
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Entertainment · #2028284
In the magic game of life, you never know what you'll get.
         Pauline knew that they would soon catch up with her. All she could do was hope to outrun them. Her lungs felt like they were catching fire and she felt faint. She knew that she couldn't give in to weakness though. There remained to much at stake. It was going to be dark soon and then the hunters would be in full strike. There were too many of them to out maneuver and she knew her only chance was to keep ahead of them for as long as she was able.

         The rolling grasslands soon led to a small stream bordered by forest. It was dangerous to be in the woods alone. Especially if you were a woman alone. Pauline kept a hand on her dagger as she knelt to drink from the stream. Her last possession given to her by her mother, Johanna, before taking her final breath. A small, hand held silver dagger with an emerald green dragon emblazoned on the sheath. She held onto it tightly should she run into trouble. Now the only thing keeping her attached to the past. She kept on her at all times, prizing it her most valuable possession.

         Rustling in the trees' brought her back to the present and she tensed instinctively; hand already going to her dagger. She turned around to find- a small, elf child staring back at her. He came up only to her knees, and yet his storm cloud eyes gazed back at her intently. His pale blond hair, and fair skin made him appear nearly human were it not for his ears peeking out beneath his hair. His forest green attire helped him blend into his surroundings. It was no wonder then she hadn't sensed his presence before.

         Pauline bent down to ask his name but almost instantly realized the forest was aflame. The screeching roar of a terrible beast from the sky beat its wings furiously, adding to the flames. Pauline had barely enough time to register a dragon was circling above their heads before she became engulfed in smoke. Seeking lower ground as smoke burned her eyes, she faintly realized the elf child motioned to her. Turning her head to him and seeing her meant her to follow him. Recognizing it as her only choice, she scurried after him into the forest as the flying terror in the skies raged on above them. Pauline knew that as long as she lived she'd never forget that creature's fury in the forest.
 When life throws you adventure  (13+)
In the magic game of life, you never know what you'll get.
#2028284 by BlueMoon
© Copyright 2015 BlueMoon (spongequeen13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028284-When-life-throws-you-adventure