*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028979-Family-Ties
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2028979
coming to terms
Looking down at the small cross and daisies the only thought that Kate had was that she was had not been there to protect her mother. The one woman who believed that Kate could do more than “just being” a teacher. Believed and supported her free thinking in a society of sheep being led by wolves no longer in sheep’s clothing. Kneeling down on the dew sprinkled grass, she absently weeded around the humble grave. Closing her eyes she could recall the day that the Regulators came and interviewed her about her parents “dealings”.
The summer had just begun, which meant lazy days by the pool and doing summer reading. That was until Ralph Randolf sat his 14 year old daughter down and informed her that things were going to be different. He explained the true history of the United States of America and that at one point in time every citizen was given the right to make ALL of the life decisions for one’s self and live the life that they wanted to live.  That Families were chosen and not determined by the government. That’s when it all changed.
The regulators came to the house two days later and spoke with both mother and papa and then spoke to Kate. Sitting across from the two men, she now realized exactly what her father meant when he said “the government wants us to think how they want us to think.” As the questions started, Kate slowly answered watching them, giving the “primary” answers one would give in Sunday school. Once there questions were done, they left without another word. At least for that year.
“Mother, I know that you died protecting me and the others. I know that all you wanted was for a better society for everyone. Where everyone has the right to believe and act of their own free will. Thank you for sending me to school in Austria. Thank you for allowing me to think and choose for myself.” whispering through nearly silent tears.
“Grieving is a normal process.” A low voice carried on the slight breeze.
Looking back over her shoulder, “I know, papa… I haven’t had the time.”
“And that has been your fault.” Sitting down next to Kate draping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close. “She would be proud of you and the woman that you have become.”
“I hope so. I feel like I should have been here, protecting her. If I were here she would…”
“There are always the ‘what if’s’ in life. We cannot beat ourselves over what could have been. We made the correct decision to send you to school. One it protected you from everything here and the regulators still think you are in Austria, which gives us an advantage. Two you learned what you needed to, you were able to see the world in a different life.”
“I know that’s what you say. But I have to wonder if that is what she would say if she were here.” Wiping hers eyes with the back of her hand.
“this is true. But we love you. And now we have a guardian angle to watch over us.”
© Copyright 2015 A. Deshier (bataman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028979-Family-Ties