*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2029052-The-Existence-or-Non-Existence-of-Hell
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Spiritual · #2029052
My response to the question the Spiritual Newsletter posed, "What I believe and why?"
         Why do you believe what you believe? Is it because of personal experiences? Were you raised in your faith? Is it the result of a lengthy search, and plenty of reflection? Have you ever had doubts? If so, how did you resolve these doubts? If you are religious, do you feel that your religion is perfect, or do you follow it despite any disagreements you might have?

         The above questions were raised by Kittiara in the last issue of her Spiritual Newsletter. The premise of Kittiara’s newsletter is to declare that she is a Christian but she rejects the existence of hell, and to quote, “I do not believe in the existence of hell. I simply cannot imagine that an all-loving, all-merciful God would allow people to suffer like that, let alone for all eternity.”

         In other words, I could interpret that as saying she believes in Jesus’ loving the evildoers without holding them accountable for their evil deeds. It’s rejecting condemnation into hell for unrepentant sinners because Jesus taught love and compassion. Sounds logical, reasonable, and compelling; moreover, compassionate.

         Because she is asking for input from readers, this exercise is to answer these questions from my personal standpoint based on the Biblical principles I hold so dear.

         Before I can answer that bottom-line question of whether I believe in the existence or non-existence of hell, let me take you, the reader, on a journey. It is a journey that every Christian believer is supposed to take.

         A person is a Christian for one simple belief: One believes in Jesus Christ and His teachings. These teachings are contained in the Bible, the Holy Scriptures. It stands to reason that a Christian reads the Bible; studies the doctrines contained and applies what is applicable to one’s Christian walk.

         From here, let me digress and categorize Christians into two distinctions. A professing Christian is one who claims to believe, observes church rituals, and identifies oneself with churchgoers. The other one is a possessing Christian, one who reads the Bible for guidance in faith and practice. There are nuances in between, I must say. And it’s neither here nor there.

         I identify myself with the latter because I’m a born-again Christian. As a child, I may have been influenced by my parent’s faith because my uncle was a church minister and my father was an evangelist, espousing the Calvin doctrine of Protestantism. I grew up reading the Bible, memorizing and reciting Bible verses at Vesper, and morning devotional time every day. At thirteen years old, I answered the call of salvation during an evangelistic meeting and became saved by the grace of God. As a young adult, I rededicated my life to my Christian walk during a Christian Youth Camp and decided to attend Bible School to prepare myself for Christian ministry.

         But, there came a turning point in my adolescence when I questioned my belief system. In fact, I left Bible School to pursue secular education. For a time I turned from being a believer into a rebel, testing the outside world with my own wisdom.

         That did not last. I realized how finite my mental capacity was compared to the infinite wisdom of an unknown supernatural being, God. He was my anchor, who shielded me from near-death experiences.  (That’s another story for another time.) I turned around and acknowledged my nothingness in His throne of grace.

         After my wonderings and wanderings, I came back full circle. Speculation about starting a family did it for me. I wanted my children to have a solid background in their faith because I looked forward to seeing them as responsible and productive citizens in the community. I made my children actively participate in youth activities in church as long as they were under my roof. They will have to decide for themselves what belief systems and values they are going to cling to once they are on their own, outside my influence. As for me, I have done my part in guiding their spiritual journey.

         Now, coming back to Kittiara’s inquiry about whether anybody else has a similar or differing opinion from her own on the existence or non-existence of hell at the end of our earthly journey, what I can share is what the Bible teaches. Indeed, God is loving and compassionate; yet, He also demands obedience. And with disobedience, He dispenses condemnation and judgment. Is there hell and anathema for hard-core unbelievers? Referring to what Jesus Christ said, because He taught love and compassion, these Scriptural references about Hell - Hades – and - the Grave are in “His Own Words” according to the accounts of His apostles: Matthew, Mark, Luke, James, Peter, and John. I’m quoting from the New Living Translation (NLT). Jesus' words are in red letters in the NLT version and some other versions, as well.

         Matthew 5:22 “But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment!  If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court.  And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.”

         29; 18:9 “So if your eye - even your good eye causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.”  Mark confirmed Matthew and added … “where the maggots never die and the fire never goes out. “ (Mark 9:47-48)

         30 “And if your hand - even your stronger hand causes you to sin, cut if off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.” (Mark 9:43)

         10:28 Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”

         23:15 “What sorrow awaits you, teachers of religious law, and you, Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are.”

         33 “Snakes! Sons of vipers! How will you escape the judgment of hell?”

         Mark 9:45 “And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better to enter eternal life with only one foot than to be thrown into hell with two feet.”

         Luke 12:5 “But I’ll tell you whom to fear. Fear God, who has the power to kill you and then throw you into hell.  Yes, he’s the one to fear.”

         James 3:6 “And the tongue is a flame of fire.  It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body.  It can set your whole life, for it is set on fire by hell itself.”

         2 Peter 2:4 ”For God did not spare even the angels who sinned.  He threw them into hell, in gloomy pits of darkness, where they are being held until the Day of Judgment.”

         Matthew 16:18 “Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means rock), and upon this rock, I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.”

         Apostle John prophesied about the events that will take place when Jesus will reveal Himself to the world in the Book of Revelation.  Jesus Christ revealed Himself to John in a vision during John’s exile on the island of Patmos. In this account, John refers to hell as Hades or the grave. (According to Wikipedia: In Greek mythology, Hades was the ancient Greek god of the underworld. Eventually, the god's name came to designate the abode of the dead. He was the King of the Underworld, the god of death and the dead.) Additionally, Merriam-Webster Dictionary says that Hades is used as a more polite way of saying, “hell.” All that being said, the following direct quotes are from John's account in Revelation:

         Revelation 1:18 “I am the living one. I died but look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave .”

         6:8 “So I looked up and saw a horse whose color was pale green.  Its rider was named Death, and his companion was the grave. These two were given authority over a fourth of the earth, to kill with the sword, with famine and disease and wild animals.”

         20:13 “The sea gave up its dead, and death and the grave gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds.”

         20:14 “Then Death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death.

         Based upon the above description of hell and the grave (Hades), I believe in the existence of hell. I believe in the existence of hell as much as I believe in the existence of heaven.

         Is seeing believing? Or, is believing seeing? Jesus said to Thomas, It is better for them who have not seen yet believe.

         And that’s good enough for me.



© Copyright 2015 QueenOwl ~ A New Day Dawns (geomayr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2029052-The-Existence-or-Non-Existence-of-Hell