*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030302-A-New-Sky
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #2030302
Meet Dex. He's having an unusual day. Nothing seems "right", and it appears to get worse.
Dex is outside just past sunset. Something catches his eye and he notices that the sky is not quite right. He wonders: “Is it normal for this reddish-purple hue in the sky where the sun just was? Is it normal for so many stars to be visible at this time of day? Why do the stars look so strange?”  Focusing his thoughts is quite challenging, so trying to remember what the sky is “supposed” to look like is making him tired. Dex can’t quite name what is different, and he looks around to see if he is the only one noticing.

That’s when he realizes that nothing seems right.

Despite the feeling of being surrounded by a throng of others just moments ago, Dex realizes he is actually alone. Ancient square-block stones beneath his feet make a wide pathway. They are reflecting the last light of the day, and lead toward a distant horizon. A straight line path. To his left and right, a quick jog away, are deep forests. Deep. Dex stares at the variety of trees, the likes of which he does not recall seeing before.

A slight discomfort sits in Dex’s belly. He swallows, to keep fear at bay.

He is suddenly and clearly aware of sound. Or rather, the lack of sounds, besides those he makes breathing. No animal sounds. No breeze to blow by his ears. His ear. Dex tries to reach for an ear. And can’t. He can’t move.

The scene vanishes and a blurred darkness replaces it. A mind-fog seems to be lifting, releasing him to think clearly once again.

Opening his eyes, Dex sees his hibernation pod door is opening out - into a large chamber with other opening pods. His memory now stirred, he turns his head and looks out this chamber's window, down at the new planet that he recalls will be his home.
© Copyright 2015 River2Horses (river2horses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030302-A-New-Sky