*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030672-A-New-Sky---Revised
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2030672
Meet Dex. He's having an unusual day, and it seems to be getting stranger.
The sun has just gone down, there is still plenty of light to see by, and Dex finds himself outside. An unusual phenomenon in the early evening sky catches his attention, and he wonders, “Are those normal cloud colors where the sun just set?"

As Dex continues to examine the sky, more questions become obvious to him: "How is it possible for so many stars to be visible right now? My god, why do they look so strange?”

He finds his ability to focus his thoughts is quite challenging, so trying to remember what the sky is “supposed” to look like only makes him frustrated and tired. Dex can’t quite name what is different, and it occurs to him to look around to see if he is the only one noticing the bizarreness.

But he is alone.

How is this possible!? Just moments ago, Dex had experienced the feeling of being surrounded by a throng of others, and now he has to deal with the reality of just the opposite. Nothing seems right. A fear begins to grip his body as his mind fights for a sane understanding.

He feels his mind open to observe more from his surroundings, as if scrambling for something to grab onto to prevent a fall.

And thus Dex finally sees more. Beneath his feet ancient square-block stones make a wide pathway. Reflecting the last light of the day, they lead toward an ambiguous horizon. A straight line path. To his left and right, a quick jog away, are deep forests - darkening quickly with the fading light. Dex stares at the variety of trees, the likes of which he does not recall seeing before.

A more-than-slight discomfort appears in Dex’s belly. He swallows, as if he can digest away the emotions that are overtaking him.

He is suddenly and clearly aware of sound. Or rather, the lack of sounds, besides those his quicker-than-normal breathing makes. No animal sounds. No breeze to blow by his ears. His ear. All of his attention is suddenly on his right ear, and Dex makes an attempt to reach for it. And can’t. He can’t move. But he can feel the near-panic rising.

As sudden as a blink, the scene suddenly vanishes and a blurred darkness replaces it. At once, Dex's extreme emotions begin to meld into a dull, quiet acceptance. His confusion fades as a mind-fog lifts, releasing him to think clearly once again. And he remembers.

Opening his eyes for the first time in decades, he sees the door to his personal hibernation pod is opening out - into a larger chamber with other pods like his that are also opening. Tomb-like silence is suddenly replaced with sounds of air-scrubbing machines and a faint awakening music. Almost fully conscious now, Dex turns his head and looks through a large window out into space - out at a very strange sea of black and stars and color, and down at a blue and green and brown planet that he recalls will be his new home.


-------------------------

Any kind of feedback is welcome! And appreciated. Or, if you simply have questions about your interpretation of what just happened or how it ended, please write and I'd be happy to give you clues, or tell you outright what I was intending.

Wish you awesome days!
River
© Copyright 2015 River2Horses (river2horses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030672-A-New-Sky---Revised