*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030846-Sci-Fi-Detective
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #2030846
Samuel is a sci-fi writer, busy at work when his evening is disturbed by a peculiar event.
Samuel is in his kitchen, deeply in thought while writing, but stops to softly swear as he is startled by a noise from an adjacent room. He is startled because loud noises like that shouldn't really be possible - he owns no house pets, has no visitors. As if answering Samuel's attention and curiosity level, an electric blue glow suddenly emanates from the side room from which the earlier noise had just come from.

What the.... Samuel thinks very loudly. So loud, he startles himself.

Samuel had been contentedly relaxed in his big office chair, with his night-time tea on the kitchen table next to him, hands busy with his laptop. He is writing what he thinks is going to be a big-deal sci-fi story for a writing contest he wants to enter. But at this current moment, Samuel feels more like he is living in just that - a sci-fi story. Where a god-knows-what is now entertaining itself in his small side room he uses for his favorite hobby: making model airplanes. Of course I also have my book collections in there too, he thinks rather perplexedly. But he quickly dismisses those thoughts - admitting that whatever is in there is most likely not interested in either of those things.

"Hello!?", he offers with a quiver in his voice that truly surprises himself. Am I that big of a wimp??

No response.

Well, not exactly. No verbal response is given, but the blue light does change a bit. It begins a slow flicker now, and gradually increases in intensity. Each pulse getting brighter and heavier.

What the hell... Samuel thinks as chills ripple up and down his spine.

Samuel has no electronics in that room, except for the glue gun he uses with the models, and two yellow light fixtures. Nothing that he can think of can possibly be emitting that blue light. The room has no windows as it is centrally located within his house.

His mind scrambles for a logical explanation.

Having just been in the midst of writing, Samuel has been engrossed in creating a sci-fi detective novella. A rather weirdly fantastic tale, it is full of bizarre charcters including the four main ones: a werewolf from Saturn, a vampire from Venus, a dejected ninja princess who declares that her "father" is coming to fetch her from the Orion star system, and finally a shape-shifting detective from Earth bent on solving various mysteries.

The truth: Samuel fashioned this detective after himself, going so far as to name him "Sam".

Samuel's mind brings this comparison up, and he decides that "playing detective" in this - a certainly bizarre situation - is certainly appropriate. What would Sam do?, he thinks. Well, Sam is clearly curious, and he would most likely want to actually take a look into that room.

Additional heroic thoughts crossed his mind. And yet, despite his personal curiosity and character's heroic thoughts, Samuel realizes his feet and body were acting on their own; he discovers that he is at his front door, with jacket in hand. Don't need shoes for this! The blue light by this time glows so brightly and thickly that it feels as if it is a physical presence, oozing out of the room like a blue tentacled sickness... reaching for anything it can find.

It is at this point that Samuel turns and quickly opens the front door - the black of the night greets him.

Confidently terrified, he makes his way out of the house and down the front walkway. Faint streetlights illuminate his way as his bounding steps become quicker. Soon Samuel is running, only the sci-fi writer and detective in him daring him to look back. I want to see!, he thinks loudly. But fear overrides curiosity and Samuel only runs.

Finally two and a half blocks away, Samuel slows, and turns his head around to look. He is just in time to watch the blue light quickly expand through his home, flash and disappear. Samuel abruptly stops running, turns around and stares. When the blue light is gone, so is his home. A thick black nothingness exists in its place.

From the middle of the blackness that was his home, a point of white light begins to emerge. It expands in a swirling vortex pattern. It is beautiful, and something about it draws Samuel. He can't help it, and he is slightly aware that he is now quickly walking toward this new light.

As the light touches the ground, three figures appear in the center of the swirl. The figures grow larger as they appear to walk down the light as if it is a physical, inclined platform. Samuel is only yards away now. He feels no fear, as the three step off the light platform, and onto the lawn of his now-departed home.

Samuel looks at them, his eyes open wide. Confusion washes over him as he recognizes these three that are very known to him. Samuel stares at a werewolf, a vampire and a ninja princess.

When they say "Hi, Sam" in unison, he passes out.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love feedback of any kind, even if it's short and to the point. Just want to know if it was worth the read, entertaining or needs work. Anything that needs clarifying, please feel free to ask! 

Thanks!  River
© Copyright 2015 River2Horses (river2horses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030846-Sci-Fi-Detective