*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2032368-A-Simple-Home
by Zarek
Rated: E · Short Story · Occult · #2032368
A simple home indeed.
A Simple Home

Heryn's home was simple enough, which suited him fine; a small cabin squeezed between a break in the trees.  His bed was cozy, if stained.  His table was sturdy, if old.  His roof intact, if leaking.  Perhaps it was a little dark, but Heryn could see well enough and he didn't want to attract attention anyway; the last person to stay at his home took a great many things and left Heryn bedridden for some time.

Was that something outside?  Heryn couldn't tell.  He was hard of hearing in his old age and the trees outside were unkempt enough to block the windows.  Heryn regretted that he was unable to do anything about them, he found that these days that he didn't have the strength to chop down trees or find his axe, mostly he laid in bed and thought of all the things he was too tired to do.

There was definitely something outside – a conversation perhaps -- though it had been so long since he had heard anyone speak that he started to wonder if he even remembered what talking sounded like.  It was curious that his dog would not get up to investigate.  But then; his dog had not gotten up in years.

The door creaked open, a large man came inside, a man unimpressed with such a simple home.  He looked around casually, but soon set his eyes on Heryn and shrugged.  The man walked over and began collecting Heryn's gold teeth, which were scattered on the mattress and the floor adjacent the bed.  Some of them were beneath Heryn, and the man rudely tossed him aside to collect them.

Heryn, now hanging upside down halfway off the bed, could only watch as the man left without even closing the door.

Heryn wasn't as angry as he thought he would be; after all it had been so long since he'd eaten that he had lost the urge, so his teeth were useless.  The open door annoyed him a bit, but the cold air actually felt nicer than he'd anticipated, and the new position he found himself in was a nice change of pace all things considered.

Yes this suited him fine, all he needed was a simple home.  A simple home, for a simple skeleton.
© Copyright 2015 Zarek (zarekstrong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2032368-A-Simple-Home