*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2032810-The-Unopened-Gift
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dave L
Rated: E · Monologue · Holiday · #2032810
Is Jesus invited to Christmas?
Speech after reading Luke 2: 1 – 20



Would I be a good person if every year at Christmas I just gave you a peak at a gift and the put it back away?  No, I wouldn’t. The story I just told you is just the peak at the gift.  Let me tell you the rest about the unopened gift.



         You see Jesus did not stay a baby. He grew up, became a man, lived a perfect life, and when His work was done, He died for me.  The gift of Christmas is not Jesus the baby, helpless as He is. 



The Bible in John 3:16 says: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.”  God loved you and me!  What did He do to show it?  He sent (or gave) His only Son. He gave us the choice to believe or not.  And if you believe and receive Him you will have the GIFT of eternal life. 



What is eternal life?  Living forever in Gods presence without being limited to this life and body.  What did God pay for this gift?  How expensive was this gift?  God gave His only son and allowed Jesus to be put to death for all of my sins.  John 1:29 says: ”Behold, the Lamb, Who takes away the sins of the world.”



  If God bought the gift and it’s paid for, how do I open the gift?  By prayer admitting to God that I have fallen and not followed Gods’ ways, asking Him to forgive me, and ask Jesus to come into my heart and be my Savior and Lord.



         That may sound too easy.  You may think you can open the gift in your own way.  John 14:6 says: “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father but by Me.” 



You could go to church all of your life, take communion, cling to family traditions, do good works, and compare yourself to people in prison, but it wouldn’t be enough. 

Eph 2:8-9 says: “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves.  It is a gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.”  In other words, you cannot steal this gift.  If someone gave you a gift, would you say; “No, no.” and then try to steal it?



         Listen:



TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE JESUS CAME (COPY WRITTEN)



         ‘Twas the night before Jesus came and all through the house, not a creature was praying, not one in the house, their Bibles were lain on the shelf without care in hopes that Jesus would not come there.



         The children were dressing to crawl into bed, not once ever kneeling or bowing a head, and Mom in her rocker with baby on her lap was watching the late show while I took a nap.



         When out of the east there arose such a clatter, I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter.  Away to the window I flew like a flash, tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.



         When what to my wandering eyes should appear, but angels proclaiming that Jesus was here, with a light like the sun sending forth a bright ray, I knew it a moment, this must be the DAY! The light of His face made me cover my head, it was Jesus returning, just like He had said.



         And though I possessed worldly wisdom and wealth, I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself.  In the book of life which He held in His hand, was written the name of every saved man.  He spoke not a word as He searched for my name.  When He said, “It’s not here.”, my head hung in shame.



         The people whose names had been written with love, He gathered to take to His Father above.  With those who were ready He rose without a sound, wile all the rest were left standing around.

         

         I fell to my knees, but it was too late; I had waited too long and thus sealed my fate, I stood and I cried as they rose out of sight; oh, if only I had been ready tonight.



         In the words of this poem the meaning is clear; the coming of Jesus is drawing near.  There’s only one life and when comes the last call, we’ll find that the Bible was true after all!



---------------------



God loves you and wants a relationship with you.  On September 5, 1976, I opened that gift and asked Jesus to become my Savior and Lord.  I haven’t become perfect, but I know that if I was to die right now, I would go to heaven.  I want everyone here to go too because I love you.



         A simple prayer: “Lord Jesus, I need You.  Please come into my heart and be my Savior and Lord. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life.”



         
© Copyright 2015 Dave L (lommapr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2032810-The-Unopened-Gift