*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2034973-We-can-do-it-Together
Rated: E · Monologue · Contest Entry · #2034973
Finalized entry for shadowstalker's competition. 1360 words
Maggie stepped on to the stage, shaking and nervous. She looked out at the sea of people who had all gathered there to here her, to listen to her and be inspired by her. This was the most important day of her life and she could not let these people down. After all, she was Maggie Sumner.

"My dear friends" Maggie began, "today we come together to remember and believe that there is hope and there will be a new and beautiful era for those who stand up for what is right."

Maggie smiled to herself, all was going as planned.

" I believe that we are the people who will take humanity through the darkness and help them to find a new and shining light. We are the people of tomorrow. We are already one step ahead of our opposition because our vision encompasses all the ideals we need to continue in the future. We will struggle, dear friends, but we will come out of our struggle stronger and with our heads held high because we never gave up. We never stopped believing.

We will do all that is required of us and we will do it with joy and humility. We will do everything they ask of us and we will do it with all of them laughing in our faces. We will emerge the more powerful side because we didn't stop fighting and in the end we will win.

It is all very well to say this but it's another thing to do it. I know that. I am under no illusions, I know how tough and difficult the world can be, how they will laugh at us and mock us every step of the way, how they will deliberately make our climb harder by throwing all the obstacles they can in our way. Believe me, I know exactly the kind of things that you are up against because I have battled them myself but I have won and I have emerged the better person in all of my struggles

We are better and stronger than that. We have the answers and we have the resources. But, there is something much more important than winning because of what material possessions we have. And it's this, winning because of who we are and what we believe in. Winning because what we believe is right. Winning because of our values and the way we treat others. Winning because we love everyone. Winning because we get up each day with renewed vigor and willingness to fight for what we know is right. Winning because we are right.Winning because we don't stop trying to win."

Maggie could see the faces she held in rapture before her. She smiled she was in her element. "Watch out, world, Maggie Sumner's coming for you" she thought

Maggie began to speak once more. “De nil mortuis nisi bonum. We have lost many in our struggle and we today remember those who gave their lives valiantly fighting for the good of the cause. In particular, Alexander Sands, Tiara Flynn, Clara Goodwin. We are also privileged to remember the wonderful, and tragically short, lives of “The Singing Flower Sisters" Poppy, Lily and Rosie who were found dead in their London home last night aged 14, 15 and 16 who gave so much to the cause. We are only sorry that we cannot spend more time with their lively and loving characters. We cannot express in any words our sadness that they are no longer with us and we pray that they have gone on to a better life. One in which they are valued and respected for who they are and what they believe in.

When we hear stories like these we are moved. Many of us here will feel ashamed of that empathy, we will feel weak or helpless, and we will pity ourselves for feeling this way. But we ought not to be ashamed of compassion as it can move us to do amazing things. Some of the greatest charitable works on the planet will have been performed out of compassion and we only have to look at them to realize how much good they are doing.

We are all very good at noticing the faults in those around us. Their shortcomings and weaknesses, the things that they can and can’t do. However, we are not very good at noticing the faults within our own personalities. Perhaps we are too quick to judge or we fail to see the wider picture. We are looking all around us for inspiration and we see nothing. The problem is not that there is nothing there. The problem is that we are looking in every direction but the right one, even when the right one is staring us in the face. We only have to reach out and touch it. The problem with standing too close to things is that we can’t see clearly what they are and when this problem arises there is only one thing to do. Get a new perspective.

When we have achieved this new perspective we will be able to go back and see clearly the opportunity that was being basically handed to us but that we were too blinded by other thing screaming in our face to see.
Compassion and empathy will be your great friends in obtaining this new perspective and they will show you how a thing as simple as a little bit of love can change the world. Love makes the world go round and love will change us if we let it. Your life doesn't have to be perfect for your love to be great. Love is amazing. Love can change the way we act and the way we think. It can change the way we feel and the way we perceive the world. It can help us start again and it can help us obtain true success.

Success is something we all want and strive for. It’s something which motivates us and inspires us. However, true success cannot be measured by how rich you become or how well your business endeavors turn out. As satisfying as these may be, they are not true measures of success. True success is getting up again and again, no matter how hard you fall. True success is waking up each day and wanting to do your best. True success is always giving every task your all, it doesn't matter if every obstacle in the world is thrown in your face and if everyone is laughing in your face whilst you do this task. True success is doing every task to the best of your ability because you strive to be a better person.

We can do this together because together, with all our skills and talents, we are stronger than every army in the world. We are better than any machine and cleverer that any supercomputer. We can do this. Together.

Don’t stop believing. There’s no time to waste and already we have so much to be thankful for, so much to celebrate. So, the next time you feel like giving up, stop, take a look around and remember that we can do this. Together”

Maggie stepped off the stage and a tidal wave of applause met her as she came down. She smiled, relieved and proud that she had done such a good job. Today was the most important day of her life because for the first time she was succeeding and doing something she loved. Maggie was smiling because that day she had found true happiness. She had realized that her job wasn't the most important thing in the world and that something else was far greater. Love. Love had now become Maggie’s greatest ally. Maggie Sumner was going to succeed because, maybe for the first time ever, she had live in her side and with love you can do absolutely anything. After all, all you need is love and love, and love alone, can give us wings. The wings we need to soar and take our ideas, thoughts and ambitions soaring with us. The wings of success are love.
© Copyright 2015 minniemouse (mariacatherine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2034973-We-can-do-it-Together