*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035053-Living-With-Epilepsy
Rated: E · Other · Health · #2035053
Observations on living with Epilepsy
Many years ago, people who had epilepsy was thought to be demonized. The idea was that seizures were the work of demons. Some religious groups attribute seizures to demonic activity even today. People with epilepsy are not less intelligent, or less capable than other people. Epilepsy does not lead to aggressive behavior. It is not an emotional illness or mental defect. it is not contagious. People who have epilepsy has experienced prejudice in many forms. and this results in rejection and low self esteem. Individuals with epilepsy can live successfully in their own. Some of them may impose restrictions on themselves( or well meaning family members may do so) but this is not usually necessary. For example: People with epilepsy can have a drink at a social function, although drunkenness is not good for anyone. I do not ever drink personally, but that has more to do with the fact that my stomach does not tolerate alcohol well. It tends to burn my stomach. I have never developed the taste for it. My drink of choice is soda, which I have to watch because of the caffeine. Epileptics can cook. I personally make a lasagna that is to die for. We can attend musical events, play video games, go to clubs, and even drive a car. I am still working on getting my license, but that has nothing to do with my seizure disorder. I haven't had a seizure in at least 10 years as of the time of the writing. But, learning new tasks is more challenging as we age. I expect to be driving by the time this book is published.
© Copyright 2015 Cyndi Sue (cyndi62 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035053-Living-With-Epilepsy