*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035311-The-Journey-Towards-Success
by Rube
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2035311
Just a simple short story I wrote. It's nothing special really.
My name's Thomas, Thomas Whyte, and I've got a dream. Without that dream, I'd be a nobody, an ordinary student like many others. The dream I speak of is to one day finish my studies and become a psychologist. Yet, it doesn't end there. I've got a vision in which I'll revolutionize this world with fresh ideas on my subject, showing new ways of thinking, and baffling the minds of many. For I want the world to hear what I got to say.

Once, I used to be a true workaholic. I studied all day and night, drank at least three cups of coffee on a single day, and barely left my apartment. I lived a sober life where laughter and fun were seen as immoral sins. The only thing that I had before my eyes was the dream which made me work deep into the nights.

However, last week, I had a realization, one which was triggered by a strange, old man in the bus. It all happened on Wednesday, when I was reading a science-fiction novel in the bus. At some point, a short, old-looking man with more lines on his face than there are stars in the sky sat down next to me. He greeted me with a simple “Good evening”, at which I wished him the same.

“Nice weather outside, isn't it?” the man now said.

However, I didn't quite feel like talking right now. It had been a long day and I felt no desire to exhaust myself even more with useless chit-chat. So I bluntly responded with: “Yeah,” and I went back to my book.

“So what do you do for a living, boy?” the old man then asked. “Or do you still got to school?”

Apparently, the old man hadn't realized yet that I was in no mood to talk, so I decided to make it even clearer by not responding to him at all. Besides, I'm no boy anymore, I'm a full-grown man.

“What's the matter, kid? Feel too good to talk to a man like me?”

I looked up from my book and stared straight into his eyes. I was so frustrated and angry I almost started shouted: “Don't act like it's any of your business, old man! It has been a long day for me and I certainly ain't got the time for this!” After I had finished, I was surprised that, despite all what I said, he was still smiling at me like he had been doing so the entire time.

“Of course you're tired,” he said, “and nobody is going to doubt that. However, that's not my fault. Have you ever thought about getting a bit of rest? Too much hard work can't be good. Soon, you would get your diploma but you would be too exhausted to even celebrate!”

For that, I had no words. The old man had got me there and before I could react to him, he had already left.

Thanks to the old man I had known for a mere ten minutes, my life has changed dramatically. Of course, hard work is good and I've never given up on my ultimate goal. Yet, I now learned to take some rest from time to time, so I could enjoy the journey too, the journey towards my success.
© Copyright 2015 Rube (silvern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035311-The-Journey-Towards-Success