*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035857-The-Wayfarers-of-Ocular-Road-Part-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mantis
Rated: 18+ · Novella · Drama · #2035857
A man's special gift becomes activated by a wanderer on the road.
The Wayfarers of Ocular Road


By Mantis






Part 3




Nearing Latrobe and Greensburg from the east, US30 opens up into a suburban, brick-and-morter blemish upon the landscape. Planted decades ago with the seeds of Americana, commercial enterprise seemingly sprouts from the soil, ever encroaching upon the beautiful Loyalhanna Valley to the east.

For anyone who'd become enchanted by those rugged, forested foothills and the meandering Loyalhanna Creek snaking its way through the pass carving its signature upon the land, the arrival into suburbia could do naught but dismay. Unless, of course, he was hungry - in which case, he'd just entered into Heaven. Let it not be said that eastern Greensburg is without its fast and greasy offerings.

As such, James and Alicia departed from that arboreal paradise and entered into a world of hectic civilization, the smells of exhaust fumes and charbroiled beef familiar and heavy upon the air. This tamed landscape would remain their host the rest of the way to Pittsburgh.

Not long after they'd left the Denny's, James had taken notice of a heaviness in his chest again and a gradually increasing melancholy weighing on his mind. It had built up steadily the closer they got to Pittsburgh.

James was not a man prone to self delusion. He'd identified the cause of those symptoms immediately. Pittsburgh was close - less than an hour away now - and he knew what that meant. It meant the fast approaching parting of the ways with Alicia.

But he found that idea to be a rather unpleasant one. It did not sit well with him - not at all. What he really wanted to do was get a motel room for the night, order up a delicious pizza from Farrari's in North Versailes and tend to Alicia's wounds - whether she liked it or not.

Although, this uneasiness was now squelched to a degree when she had actually agreed to this plan a moment earlier. God only knew the convincing had been no easy task.

But the effort was well worth it. Besides the chance to tend to her wounds, he'd bought himself some more time to think things through. Precious time.

He had no medical training to speak of, and God only knew what he'd find on her battered body underneath the fetid layers of her Black Fortress, but he'd learned enough from his mother to adequately administer at least basic first aid. Hell, just a good cleaning of her wounds and a spritz of antiseptic would be better than nothing. Just to assure himself, he glanced in the mirror and saw the three CVS bags sitting on the back seat. Okay. Good to go.

Yes, it was true. The idea of parting ways with her had become a gradually festering discomfort etching itself upon his psyche as the miles rolled by. The mere thought of it - surely that most inevitable and logical of outcomes, that most reasonable, that most sane culmination of their time together (wasn't it?) depressed him. In fact, it was downright disturbing.

Hell, James, let's just lay it all out, shall we? It is a positively loathsome idea - revolting, really! Why, to part ways with her now would simply be a travisty of justice. It is anathma to every fiber of my being. The idea is nothing short of a scourge upon mankind. Such a thing could only result in a great tear in the very fabric of nature...

"Are you having fun, James?" inquired her Sentient Orbs.

James startled from his reverie. They'd snuck up on his thoughts again. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Oh, come now... is it even possible to add to your litany of cliched catastrophies were you to abandon her in Pittsburgh?" They huffed and puffed in mock incredulity. "Or perhaps you've got some more?" There was that biting laughter again. "Indeed..." they snickered, "'tis such a pleasure watching you entertain yourself as such. Please... do continue."

James blinked a few times, although not in Orb-speak. It was merely the expression of consternation.

"Why won't you just believe us when we tell you things," they continued. "It would make for a much more efficient use of our time together."

"Believe you?"

"We told you that Pittsburgh would not be the end of your journey together. We do not lie about these things, James... we're on your side. 'Oh, I'll be the judge of that...' you scoffed at us." Their impression of him, even embellished with the haughty-taughty tone, was hilariously accurate, and James himself, although grudgingly, had to chuckle at that. "Please, sir, give us our due."

"What's with all the mind reading lately... starting back at Denny's?" His skirting of the touchy subject at hand was readily apparent to her Orbs.

"Does it bother you?" It seemed they were going to let him off the hook for now. James sighed a relief. The idea of staying with her - whatever THAT could possibly end up meaning - was as frightening as that of parting company with her.

"It's just that my gift has never worked that way before. This is something new."

"Well then, let us introduce you to the new you. James The Blinker, meet James The Adept."

"Huh? Are you guys drunk on eye drops, or something?"

"Heavens forbid! We kicked the habit long ago." Although their timing was spot on, James felt they needed work on their delivery.

"Okay... spill it."

"You no longer need to blink Orb-speak to us, James."

"I don't?"

"We are inside your head now, and we're here to stay... at least as long as your gift remains upon you. You need only to think your thoughts to us from this point on. You have leveled up, good sir!"

Even though he had no idea what they were talking about, the idea that he had advanced in some way in his gift did foster a sudden sense of accomplishment. It at least sounded good. "Leveled up?"

"Well, that's the way we like to see it... because we are very fond of you, James. You have much experience with your gift after all these years... and it has not gone unnoticed all the good you've done with it." They paused briefly to choose their next words. "Although, technically, it is The Existential's wish that your gift be enhanced as such... and who are we to disagree with Him?"

"Whoa... whoa, slow down, fellas! Who the hell is THAT?"

"He is The One, James. The Guide. The Master. And he plays a big part in your life."

"You're making my head spin... you do realize that, don't you?"

"Then lets sort you out." They gathered themselves a moment, and James got the distinct impression that he was in for a serious reveal about his gift.

Hallelujah! It's about time...

...but why now?


"That will be made known to you soon enough." He had to try to remember that his thoughts were not his own now. "But let us take a moment to enlighten you on how things are."

"Why?"

"Because The Existential wills it. Now shut up and listen."

He liked when they got feisty. He suddenly wished he could introduce them to Alicia. She'd positively adore them!

"Go on, my dear Orbs," he said with a toothy grin plastered on his mind's face. It intrigued him how he was even able to do such a thing now.

"Imagine, if you will, another possessing your gift. Now imagine that person speaking with your Orbs... the way that you do with us, or had with Anna's."

"Okay... go on."

"Well... hmmm, how do we put this? The Existential is... er, your Orbs." The statement sat like dead air between him and them. "There... now all is clear. You may thank us later." They wrung their hands and made as if to depart from his mind.

"Halt!"

They flinched, stopped, did a double take and returned sheepishly.

"I think you guys have fallen off the wagon," he jabbed the thought at them. He wasn't used to the obsolescence of his well practiced blinking style of Orb-speak. Although not to be discounted, this mental Orb-speak made his gift much easier.

James The Adept. Has a nice ring to it... don't it!

"Okay, listen," he continued. "You guys gotta do better than that. I don't know what the fuck you're talking about."

"Please, James, must you use such language? We do not operate on that level. You're an Adept now... act like it."

"You've spent half her life listening to raunch spill from her trap. Surely it's nothing out of the ordinary for you?"

"That's exaclty why it bothers us... hearing it reminds us how far she's fallen. Furthermore, we expect better from you."

"Sorry," he acquiesced. "But you've got to admit, you're flinging some serious shi... um, stuff my way today... and I'm bewildered."

"We had no idea it was so mystifying."

"That's because you're not looking at it from my point of view. You know, my sojourne with you two seems to have taken on a new light. I don't know why that is, but if you want to enlighten me, you're going to have to give me more... a lot more." James felt in a haze. He redoubled his focus on the road, lest something bad happen. The Existential? What in God's name were they talking about? "Please, go on."

"Do you know that everybody has Sentient Orbs?"

"Hadn't really given that much thought. I guess I didn't know that."

"Not only does everybody have Orbs, there is a vast network of communication that takes place between us Orbs. It is a continuous exchange primarily concerning the actions and relationships of our respective hosts, forever streaming throughout the ether. It is the hum of consciousness... the Record of Sentience, and it takes place in the higher plane, that outer pavillion on the mystic side of Sentience.

We are as an army of scribes partnering together to shed illumination upon the rich vestment which adorns that ever so rare thing - the genesis of Awareness, wherever and whenever it arises into the far corners of the Universe... as it so gloriously has here on Earth.

"Sheesh... sorry I asked. That's far out, dear Orbs." James let out a gust of hot air. "Er... I think I have a basic grasp of what you're saying," he lied. His head was spinning.

"Inherent to all relationships of mortals exists this hum of consciousness between their Orbs, unbeknownst to them. Our foremost purpose is to record for posterity the annals of their lives, to feed into the pool of Sentience all that we observe, as do tributaries add to the flow of great rivers.

And do you know what that pool of Sentience is, James?"

"Not a clue."

"It is The Existential. He is the Overseer of all sentience - past, present and future.

But we digress. Beyond our duties as scribes, we're compelled to engage in a sort of wheeling and dealing, if you will, a bartering on behalf of our hosts pertaining to the myriad issues and quirks that arise in their relationships. We debate amongst ourselves what are the acceptable stipulations and positions that best suit our hosts, what we deem most beneficial to them. And from this we determing what we're willing to champion through our - slight though it may be - influence over them. Do you follow?"

"You sound like cosmic cattle herders."

"Come now, James, don't be so egregious... you know we look out for our hosts. It's more like a game of chess we play amongst ourselves... rather than any sort of mind control. Only the strongest Orbs can exert their will to any significant degree, and even then, it's decidedly limited. The rest of us... well, we just nudge ever so slightly. And we can assure you, sir, we work for the benefit of goodness."

"It sounds rather... fantastical."

"It's simply a give and take, James, a back and forth, and it happens freely and often. Think of it something like your internet, if that helps you.

To reiterate, we Orbs do not - can not - control. We only influence, as we've said... and in a very subtle way at that, and again, all for the benifit of goodness."

James took a side-long glance at Alicia, who was sitting rather benignly at the moment, uncharacteristically unobtrusive. He wondered how long that would last. He looked back at her Orbs fixed there in his mind, dangling question marks in front of them.

"Don't be so smug, James... it doesn't become you."

"What... what did I say?" He couldn't hide his smirk - nor did he want to.

"Yes, it's true. Sometimes we fail... as we admit we have so miserably failed with her. There, we said it. Are you happy? But there is a resuscitation at hand, thanks to the will of The Existential and you're arrival, and this furthers our fondness of you, James."

"Tell me more."

"It should be pointed out that there are also Orbs that have fallen, who have slipped through the cracks and have turned sour, evil even, and you can thank them, to a large degree, for the villains of this world. The influence those fiendish Orbs exert upon their charges can be very powerful indeed, as malevolence often tends to engender. Thankfully, there are but a few, considering your numbers."

They looked at him, beamed brightly, suddenly flush with the look of admiration. "And then there is you, James."

"Oh boy."

"You, friend, are special. Special in that you, and you alone, do not possess Orbs. Instead, you host The Existential!"

James' mind swam in the mirk of confusion. "What does that actually mean?"

"It means that you, through Him, have been granted access to the higher plane, may make contact with the Orbs themselves, and be privy to all that we know. Just the way you've done throughout your life."

"So you're saying this Existential is responsible for my gift?"

"It is so."

"What, you're saying he resides in me?"

"Not nearly, only a part of him. You are his host when he visits this plane... when your gift awakens. A part of Him is with us right now, listening, observing. And we can tell you, James, we rejoice in his presence, just as we have from the moment you were revealed to us... just as all the Orbs you've met in your life have who's hosts had piqued the interest of The Existential for whatever reasons known only to Him."

"And when it's at rest?" Considering what they'd told him, that other than for The Existential, he didn't have Orbs, he felt a slight sinking in his stomach in expectation of their answer.

What am I without Orbs... when all the rest have them? Am I a freak of nature?

"You are no freak, James." 

"Are no thoughts my own?"

"Not when we are on stage inside your mind. Get used to it. But you may be heartened by the fact that we are forever on your side."

"Glad to hear it."

"Though we do so get a kick out of you're positively RIPE thoughts sometimes!" The biting laughter ensued once again, now an established trademark of theirs.

"And as to my question? What of me when my gift is silent?"

"You are simply removed from the hum of consciousness. You are like a black hole to us when our hosts engage you... as if an impenetrable bubble forever unseen, yet forced to sidestep. We're swept right past you... like wind parted by a wing.

But fear not, James, you are always firmly ensconced in your humanity. In fact, your humanity dwarves in comparison all those around you. Perhaps this is The Existential's way of recipricating you for being compelled to maintain his office inside your noggin for when he visits. Either which way, your humanity is as impressive as it is good... and it's another reason we're so fond of you."

"Why me?"

"Because you were chosen by him... chosen at birth."

James palmed his forehead and rubbed his head and massaged the back of his neck. He sighed. "I'm going to be able to write a doctoral thesis on 'Enlightenment' after all this. You should know that I'm simply stupified right now by all that you've told me, dear Orbs. Surely, I never thought to beget this amount of knowledge concerning my gift. But again, I must ask: Why me? And why now?"

"We could never hope to understand the machinations of The Existential. We are mere servants to him, underlings, and we exist only by the grace of his will. That it is you that he chose, we know not why. You may be able to understand this better by knowing that he is for us the equivilent of your God. He is all seeing, all knowing. His Word is our Rule. In His grace we walk with purpose. As for why now? Well, we can only offer that, with the turn of events, circumstances have changed. Beyond that, we cannot say."

"And this great Being, this God of your realm, he has an affinity with me?" James shook his head, not caring if Alicia saw him. "That is just so hard to believe."

"Believe it, good sir. We would not lie to you. Is it so hard to believe when you consider the tremendous gift that has adorned your life?"

James fell into deep thought, remaining silent.

Her Orbs paused a moment before uttering their next sentence, aware of the impact it would have on James. "And he owes you, James. He owes you."

"What? How could such a thing be so?" It just keeps getting better and better. "What do you mean?"

"Ah, dear James, that is a question that must also wait. It is a conversation you can have only with Him."

"Please, tell me what you know?"

"In time, good sir, He will reveal all. Perhaps you have other questions?"

James thought a moment, his mind swirling from all that he had heard. It took him a long moment to finally arrange his thoughts. "When you told me I leveled up, you said it was by all the good that I've done with my gift. What did you mean?"

"Just that, James... you have always used your gift for the good of this world, that which is The Existential's wont to achieve."

"How so?"

"Shall we start at the beginning?"

"By all means."

"Let's take your parents then... in particular, your mother. Do you remember your conversations with her salient Orbs?"

James smiled, a sense of peace overtaking him as he fondly remembered that joyous time with his mother's Orbs; those first ever introductions into the realm of his gift. Apart from Anna's Orbs, they were the only ones he'd known who were female. "I remember some of it, but it's mostly just a feeling now... like a warm, pleasant nostalgia."

"Do you remember how her Orbs sought to make you understand all of her wants and desires as concerned you; all of the things that she expected from you? The things that she hoped the addition of you into her life would accomplish in fulfilling her and bringing joy to her heart?"

"I do."

"And do you remember how you strove to act in the manner suggested by her dear Orbs, so that you could make her dreams a reality... to make her happy all the time?

"Sure... I guess I do. In fact, my thoughts of my mother are... well, that she is the very embodiment of happiness. My mother is a woman who seems to be able to snatch joy right out of the sky, collect it, bottle it, and give it away to all of us around her."

"And do you know of her life before you came into the world?"

"No."

"It was a life of bitter sadness, tragic and full of angst. Your mother knew pain... knew it well and good; and her heart was nearly wrenched from her chest numerous times from the setbacks she faced. She suffered, James, always unable to control the sad circumstances of her life... circumstances we will refrain from mentioning."

"This is very hard to hear, dear Sentients."

"But then you came along. You and your gift. And through your actions, throught the astounding ability you possessed right from the very beginning to embrace your gift with such aplomb, you changed her, James... you changed her life into how you now see her... a woman who can capture joy from the very clouds in the sky and sprinkle it upon everybody she knows. What a good thing it was you'd done."

James worked hard at that moment to hold his emotions in check. How odd would it be for Alicia to turn to him just then and see him suddenly overwhelmed and in tears. He took a moment to take it all in.

"And don't forget, James, a man's happiness can be uplifted exponentially when his wife is positively overflowing with joy. Just think of all the good you've done for your father in tandem!"

"I can't think of a man who deserves it more... A fine man, my dad."

"Indeed."

James thought more. "And Anna? What good was shed on her through my gift?"

"Ah yes, lovely Anna. What a dear soul she has..."

"Er... 'had', you mean."

"Ahem... How we wish we could tell you about all the good you brough her. But, alas, we cannot."

"What? Oh, come now, dear Sentients, I simply must know."

"That is a subject you'll have to take up with The Existential."

James' mind raced. "Really? So then, it would seem to follow that he owes me for something having to do with Anna... is that it?"

"Ah la la la... la la la la..." They sung maddeningly. "Oh, did you say something? Sorry, we couldn't hear you just then."

"Okay, you numbskulls... I get it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the same goes for Alicia, right?"

"You're catching on. Such a bright fellow." They were stubborn. They were maddening at times. They could be positively goofy and serendipitous, and they seemed to take much too much pleasure in teasing him - By jove, they're just like Alicia! - but alas, it couldn't be denied, they were dear to him.

"We're just like HER?" They cringed, horrified. "Oh dear. Well, just the same, thank you. You already know how fond we are of you." They produced mocking Orb-giggle, and James bristled.

"Oh, right... always in my head now. We're gonna have such a party."

"So, do you see now how you've used your gift for goodness? Why we are so proud of you?"

"Something strikes me just now... aren't you just the Sentient Orbs of our darling here? Aren't you just supposed to be the keepers of HER secrets... the scribes of HER life?"

"We have been promoted."

"Promoted? Do tell."

"Because of our unique position in the scheme of things, we have been granted a higher station in the ether. We've been appointed Liaisons between The Existential and yourself... at least until such time that he wishes to address you directly. It is why we can communicate with you about all that is known, all that The Existential oversees. And it is why we now dwell inside your mind, as well as in our darling's. It is why you no longer need to engage in that silly blink-speak with us."

"'Silly blink-speak'... eh?" James was suddenly tickled by their humanesque behavior. "I suppose you highfalutin Liaisons are now above all the mundanities your lowly brethren have to adhere to?" He poked fun at them the way they'd so fondly done to him. "Oh, how resplendent you are now in your newly acquired position of import... aren't you!" James laughed inwardly. "Don't that just take the cake..."

"Don't be silly, James."

James found this quite delicious. "Careful, gentlemen... don't let the power go to your heads," he said, then threw in a bit of his own biting laughter.

"Is there more you'd like to ask us... sir, or may we take our leave now?"

His momentary jocularity ceased. "So, tell me... what about Dunst?"

"Edmund Dunst. Now he was a rather unpleasant fellow, that one."

"A flat out lunatic! It's taken me many years to wipe the conversations with his creepy Orbs from my mind. Yet still, some of them linger."

"Tell us what you remember... how you interacted with him?"

"I spent much of the time simply trying to reason with him. But I'm sure, positive, in fact, that it did little to no good at all. He was a lost cause. And I can't tell you how relieved I was when my gift had parted from him and his sick Orbs."

"You're wrong, James. The words you spoke to him, your reasoning with him, the prudence of your advice, made all the difference."

"What prudent advice? If I remember correctly, I finally suggested that he kill himself. Then I was gone."

"Exactly. He took your advice, James. He hung himself."

"What?" That was a shocker. "I can barely believe it. Jeez... I'll be damned." He became lost in thought, nearly becoming nauseous dredging up memories of Dunst. "But I must know, how on earth was any of that good? I don't see it."

"Because he had plans before you convinced him to end his own miserable existance."

"Plans?"

"He was going to destroy Anna." They waylaid him.

"WHAT?" The words practically bit him in the throat. They were like the world's predominant Kung Fu Master plunging his hardened, pointed fingers into his chest and ripping out his still beating heart. "His Orbs never revealed any such thing!" James yelled in contention, his mind in an uproar.

James recalled his talks with Dunst and his Orbs. They were so unlike Anna's Orbs, and especially, these whimsical, almost cartoony Orbs of Alicia's. They were unlike all the Orbs he'd known.

They were eerie and stiff, like cadavers brought back to life. With baritone, hushed voices, as if occultist priests preparing for an orgy of bloodlust at the sacrificial alter, they revealed the most horrific and macabre thoughts of their host. They always seemed wont to fill him with dread in the way that they presented Dunst to him and revealed the sickening ideas which swam in his mind; and it was never lost on James how enamored they seemed to be of Dunst... as if harboring a sexual perversion with their own host.

James shuddered. But, to be sure, they'd never spoke of any plans or intentions Dunst had concerning Anna. ANNA, of all people!

"Fallen Orbs reveal only what they want you to know. Any Orbs... for that matter, can be stubborn with you if they so desire... but especially the malevolent ones."

"Stubborn? You don't say." He eyed them mockingly, mostly out of habit. But all frivolity aside, it was the matter at hand that consumed his attention.

"Ahem... He didn't like you, James. Hated you, in fact. Despised you with a passion that is not fit for this world."

"What are you telling me, Sentients?"

"We're telling you what was. His hate for you was a festering boil upon his already sick soul. On campus, he watched you, studied your every move, staked you out. He drowned in envy of you at the beginning, watching you cavort with beautiful Anna, then grew to abhore you with every fiber of his being. He loathed you for your good looks, your smug, cocky attitude, your unfettered confidence... so bold, so strident in your youth and sure of yourself that you were."

"This is crazy."

"He felt all those things about you, and more. That was, until your gift came upon you. Everything changed when you engaged with his Orbs.

Well... his feelings about you didn't change, but by the power of your gift, the insight you gained of him, and your cunning mind, he became open to your attack... the attack you probably didn't even realize you were waging. The Existential's influence is strong, James. Unlike ours, it is so very powerful.

Dunst was like a veteran battalion, poised to charge and destroy a weakened enemy, but was suddenly set upon by the well hidden cavalry of his advarsary, outflanked and crushed.

He was going to take her, James... your precious Anna. He was going to cut her, disect her, make her moan... and then he was going to send you the pieces and continue to watch, quivering uncontrollably in an orgasm of vile satisfaction as your world fell apart."

"This is too much! I can't hear this." James recoiled at the insidiousness of what he was hearing.

"Rejoice, James, for your gift was good! You'd gathered your forces like a great general on the battlefield. Only this time a battlefield of the mind. Good vs Evil. Existential vs Fallen Orbs. You broke him, stole his will to fight, caused him to doubt his cause. And then, for the good of all, you compelled him to surrender to your might, and finally, to acquiesce to your final judgement... taking with him to the grave the cesspool of hate and cruelty which remained but a dark stain upon his soul alone, thankfully never to be witnessed by mankind.

Such goodness you've done, James... how will the world ever repay you?"

James didn't know how to react to this revelation. He felt numb, aghast and relieved all at the same time. But his mind raced forward. "So this is how I bestowed goodness upon Anna then? I thought you weren't allowed to speak of that?"

"That is but a mere side note as it concerns Anna. The subject of the true goodness you bestowed upon her can only be broached by The Existential himself. But don't worry, James, he will come to you, when the time is right."

"Go ahead..." James said, resigned and mentally exhausted, "...say it."

"Indeed. In time, good sir... in time."

"Right."

"Look, James..." they shouted with sudden excitement. "There's the motel. We'll be off now." And they skedaddled away from his mind.

"Huh?" James had completely lost track of the world beyond the sphere of this potent ocular conversation. It was a miracle he hadn't crashed the car in a jumbled wreck. "Oh, shit... that's right! The Super 8." James swerved dangerously into the right turning lane just in time.

"The language, James... the language." Apparently they'd lied and were still skulking inside his mind.

"Sorry, boys. Now get out!"



***




James had been so relieved when Alicia agreed to spending the night with him at the motel.

Time... glorious time to think things out.

Now, driving up the driveway to the Super 8 motel, the hum of late rush hour traffic a steady drone over the orchestra of activity surrounding the Westmoreland Mall across the street, James recalled the apprehention of having to broach the issue with her.

About ten minutes before the revelations of her Orbs, that conversation he'd remember from then on as the "Enlightenment', he'd finally asked her.

"So... shall we get a room and hold up in Greensburg for the night?"

"I was wondering when you'd make your move, chumley. So predictable."

"It's not like that, Alicia. Beat up girls in smelly black clothes... that's not really my thing."

"You really know how to flatter a gal, don't you?" He knew she was going to make this difficult.

"Press on, James," spoke her Orbs, "She's just dying for you to beg."

He ignored them, content to do things his way. "Why don't we just grab a room, kick back, grab a pizza, and we'll start fresh in the morning. We can get your cuts cleaned up."

"What... so you can spend the whole night reading my mind and telling me how horrible I am?" It seemed his 'all knowing, all seeing' assult on her at the Denny's lingered in her thoughts; but apparently, their tender moment aftewards had already slipped her mind.

"No it hasn't, James... not by a long shot!" piped in her Orbs.

That pleased James more than most things they said. She's just being ornery. Surprise surprise.

"Plus," Alicia continued, "I'd hate to have to kick you're ass and beat you to a pulp after you try to maul me in a motel room."

Alright, alright already... I'll try it their way.

"Trust us, James... we won't steer you wrong."

James fumed, wondering about their sudden penchant for entering his mind. Got to get to the bottom of that.

"Please," he begged. "Pretty please?" Ouch... that hurts.

Mocking laughter arose in the back of his mind...

"I'd really hate to think you're out here in the cold while I'm relaxing in the warmth of a cozy motel room. I'm getting a room regardless... I'm really tired, and I don't feel like driving anymore today."

"Listen, we had a moment today at Denny's. I'll admit it was... something... but that doesn't mean I'm your baby, buster... got it?"

"Got it, baby."

"You're such a goof." She shook her head in resignation, but her black-eyed face was peppered with a happy grin. "Make damned sure there's two beds, chumley!"

If he only knew how in love with the idea I actually am... he'd wet himself  thought Alicia.

I know now, Alishey. Thank you very much, dear Orbs.

"You're welcome, James."




 The Wayfarers of Ocular Road Part four  (18+)
A man's special gift is activated by a wanderer on the road.
#2036288 by Mantis


© Copyright 2015 Mantis (vellumcore at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035857-The-Wayfarers-of-Ocular-Road-Part-3