*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037114-Oklahoma-is-Colder-then-California
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2037114
Niel and Joy move to Oklahoma.
Word Count: 770

Oklahoma is Colder then California

"Niel," Joy said flopping down on the couch. "Tell me again why we decided to move to Oklahoma."

"It's cheaper," he placed the box he was carrying on the floor beside the couch and then turned to go back to the U-hall in the drive way. "We could never afford a house this size in California."

"Sweet Heart, the only reason we can afford this one is that my parents left it to us. I think we should have sold it and..."

"And what," he knelt down in front of her. "By moving back to here I can have a den, while Jean and Josie will have their own rooms. Plus we own the place so we don't have to get rid of any of the cats."

"It's also colder!" She leaned down and kissed him.

"Good," he grinned. "That means we can keep each other warm. In fact, maybe we should go upstairs for a little recreation and rest before I finish unloading the U-hail."

"Niel, ever since you go that vasectomy you've been really randy." She burped, "Unfortunately, I'll have to take a rain check on our afternoon delight." She took her purse off the coffee table, opened it, and removed her cellphone. "I'm not feeling well. I haven't been feeling well for a couple of weeks now."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not sure," she flipped the phone open. "My period hasn't started yet, so I might be starting menopause. If I am then I'm having some really weird symptoms. You know, Niel, I'd almost swear I was pregnant again, but you had the vasectomy. It has to be something else. I'm going to call Doctor Johnson, my sister recommended her. for an appointment. Then I'm going to take a nap."

"Honey, there's something we need to talk about."

"Could we do that later? Why don't you finish unloading the U-hall and then call my sister."

"Why?"

"Sweet heart, don't be dense. Just ask Mai," she shock her head when she saw his blank stare. "You remember Mia, she my sister. Have her bring the twins and the cats over early."

"Sure."

****

Niel stood in front of The Cat House staring at the kittens in the window. Maybe, he thought, I should purchase Joy a kitten before I confess. She's going to be pissed when she finds out I lied to her about the vasectomy. I mean it's not like I didn't intend to get the damn thing...

"Niel," came a female voice from behind. He turned to see Joy pushing her way through the crowded mall toward him. She ignored the irritated looks shot in her direction as she maneuvered toward the pet store. Shoving a blond from her path she came to a stop in front of Niel.

"Sweet Heart," he took her in his arms, "what's wrong?"

"I... I have some bad news."

"Let's go into this pet store so that you can pick out a kitten."

"A kitten?" She frowned, "Why would I want another cat?"

"Well," he kissed her on her right cheek. "You handle bad news much better when you're holding a purring cat."

"Darling," she brushed a stray hair from his forehead. "I'm sure another cat isn't going to help in this case."

"What do you mean?"

She sighed, "You know that vasectomy you had. It... It didn't take!"

"That's because I never had it!"

"You lied to me."

"Not intentionally, Honey. I fully intended to have it. It's just that..."

"Neil," she put her arm around his waist. "Let's go the Jalapeño Room so that we can discuss this over deep fried ice cream and bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers."

"That's an odd combination," he let her guide him through the crowd.

"Not in my condition," she laughed. "Have you forgotten that's what I always crave when I'm pregnant."

"You're expecting? We're going to have another baby?"

"Niel," she stopped and kissed him on the lips. "Sometimes you can be so dense, but that's one of the things I love about you. That's why I will forgive you for this and every lie you have either intentionally or unintentionally told me."

"But I never intentionally..."

"Niel, let's eat. Then we can discuss your creative excuse for not getting the vasectomy, but only after we've decided on the color scheme for the new nursery."

"New nursery?"

"Honey, I... we promised Jean and Josie they would have their own rooms. That means that you will have to give up your man cave for a nursery or a room for one of our daughters. You get the pleasure of deciding which."

© Copyright 2015 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037114-Oklahoma-is-Colder-then-California