*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037321-Kid
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #2037321
A short story about childhood. Would appreciate any feedback :)
Kid.


Hello Kid.
Remember Me?

It's been so very long since you needed me, so I... I doubt that you do.
Sit back... pause.
Think hard... am I growing familiar?
that face you know but somehow can't recall...
I know I am in the back of your mind... you just need to grasp out... remember...

Not to worry.
I was there when the world got a little too confusing, too scary... too real.

No?

You don’t recognise me?

You don’t recognise these features that you shaped, you moulded and defined so carefully, every line, every inch yours?

Oh.

Okay.

I suppose that's just how the cookie crumbles... Do you remember the games we would play? the times we would go on adventures to magical lands and fight dragons and terrible creatures? how about the times we would try and stay up all night, only you would fall asleep, and I would make sure you were safe and not alone. you were never alone kid.

No?

Not to worry.

I suppose the memories would be a little vague, ah aha, time moves on and, after all,

You grew up.

But, I was your first friend,
Before the sleepovers, the school-days, the tantrums, boys, drugs, drink and sex, Make ups and break ups,

I was the beginning.

You know, They used to tell you I wasn't real.

They absolutely swore by it. They used to tell you to give up such childish fantasies. But it never bothered me, not really. why should i care if a group of adults didn't see me, or believe in me. You knew the truth. You always knew.

I was real to you.


You gave me life, You created me, gave me a purpose, a sense of being and that doesn't just die when you stop believing in me.
It doesn't just die does it?
It can't....

Just think of me like your shadow kid. I was always their at your side, even if you couldn't see me...


Why can't you see me?

I don't suppose you can remember the day you stopped believing, do you?
It hurt at first. I was young, Confused and when you are like me, they don't tell you that it all ends, No. They make you believe this gig will last forever.

they don't tell you that one day, it will all end, that your Kid will just grow up, leave home
and caste you away like the broken toys of youth.

It came as a shock. I was heartbroken, yes. but never angry. you must know I was never angry at you.

Soon, I faded. In the early days all could do was fade.

But I never left you. I never left you Kid, I promise. It just... all happened so quickly, you were caught up in the real world,
the whirlwind,
and before I knew it, you didn't believe in fairies, and you no longer checked under your bed at night for monsters.

You lost the magic, that’s it.
You lost the magic, and instead of playing in the park, you were out there, in the real world, and you didn't turn to me when it all got scary…

I did my best to keep you as safe as I could. I think I did a pretty good job... but I'm sorry I didn't do better, keep you away from all harm, the world is a big scary place kid... even for me.

I never left you. even when you felt... when you felt alone and scared and weak, without a friend in the world. I never left you.
I waited patiently, desperately for a time when you might need me, when you would open your eyes and see...

But that time never came.

So I watched you grow old…

Watched you fade…

Never again did I have to wipe away the tears,
for you were all grown up,

And grown up’s don’t need their imaginary friends…



© Copyright 2015 Reeeggieee (reeeggieee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037321-Kid