*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037405-The-Promise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #2037405
This is an extra, unnumbered, story to be added to "The Light at the End of the Tunnel".
The Lost Sentinel’s Promise:

Just now I was reminded of the reason I had tried to become strong. I had forgotten about the evil I had witnessed. I had challenged myself to become strong enough to not only confront my own demons, but to assist those who could not do it by themselves. I told myself early on that I would be the one everyone looks up to, who they come to for help, who was there for someone when no one else was.

As time went on, I slowly became one of those who I hated from the beginning. The antagonist. I had forced myself to forget the pain I saw other go through, the very pain that I went through myself, because it was easier. I blamed others for my own faults, and became the very evil I swore to help destroy.

I now realize that evil cannot be completely eliminated. The thought had been the wishful thinking of a naïve teenager, and not one of an experienced adult. I will also admit that I am not anywhere close to being experienced yet, but the prior statement I still believe to be true. I also realize I am human, therefore, I will make mistakes, which one of the problems I had concerning myself was that I would destroy myself over almost every little mistake I made. With that being said, I am once again making the promise to myself and to all you who shall read this, along with a new promise.

I promise to become strong, not only for myself, not only for those who exist now, but for those who have existed and will exist in the future also. I promise to not only increase my physical strength, but my mental, emotional, and psychological strength to the best of my abilities. I promise to do these things while remaining as human as possible, never beating myself up too hard over the mistakes that are destined to happen.
© Copyright 2015 John Cardinal (johncardinal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037405-The-Promise