*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037980-Prompt-Eleven-Wicked-Web
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Smee
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2037980
Your character is caught in a lie.
Prompt Eleven: Wicked Web : Word count 509

~

Sej stared at the blank parchment. Settling down to do some writing for the first time in days had seemed like a good idea after the events of the previous night. But no words would come. His stomach was twisted with the very regret he'd expected, and his muse was as blurry as ever. The one small mercy was the absence of any nightmares, although his alcohol-soaked sleep had been far from restful.

This was hopeless. He had to go apologise to Mike.

On the journey to the Three Kings, Sej tried to plan what he'd say. Everything he thought of felt cheap and false. His muse wasn't helping here either. After staring at the door for a few moments, he sighed and walked in.

"You're earlier than I expected. Conscience that guilty huh?" Mike was loading bottles from a box to a shelf underneath the bar. He didn't even look up.

"No excuses. I'm just sorry, Mike."

"Well that's something, no harm done. Just tell me one thing, did you drink more when you got home?"

"No!" The lie came out instinctively, and Sej winced.

Mike had looked up now, and he fixed a contemplative stare on his friend.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I did. Ugh, I'm sorry again. I don't know what's wrong with me." Sej found he couldn't meet Mike's stare, and looked at the floor instead.

"You look awful. Come and sit down, before you fall down. I'll get you a cup of coffee."

Sej obeyed, "Thanks Mike. What'd I do without you." Off his feet, he realised just how wobbly his legs were. Sej slumped over the bar, head in his hands.

"Tried to do some writing this morning. Still nothing."

"Ever thought the drink might be stopping your writing? Drunks ain't the most eloquent of folks; I should know."

A disturbingly large part of Sej protested, but he somehow found the will to ignore it. "I think you may be right."

"Here, get this down you."

The coffee was strong, and Sej savoured it. "You cut me off last night, I'm thinking that should probably be a longer term deal."

For the first time Mike smiled. "Now you be talking some sense, even if it will hurt my wallet somewhat."

A short laugh bubbled out of Sej. "You'll manage."

"Yeah, I will, but there's plenty of other Inns out there, and I can't stop you at home. Most of this is going to be on you. Think you can manage it?"

"Well I can't go on like this."

"Good. Hold that thought it mind."

"Thanks Mike." Sej finished the cup of coffee. "Think I'm going to go for a walk, get out of your hair, and clear my head. Maybe see if David is around."

"David?"

"Old school friend of mine. Hadn't seen him for six years, turns out he worked at the tailors I went to for my church outfit."

"Sounds like there's a story there, but another time. Go see your friend."

"Thanks Mike. See you around."

"I'll be here. And Sej. Look after yourself."

Sej, relieved of guilt, left the Three Kings feeling much lighter. Perhaps today would be a better day.
© Copyright 2015 Smee (smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2037980-Prompt-Eleven-Wicked-Web