*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038284-Prompt-Fourteen-Memories
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Smee
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #2038284
What is your character's happiest memory?
Prompt Fourteen: Memories : Word count 557

~

As he cleared up the shattered bowl of stew, Sej couldn't think of curse words strong enough to throw at his muse. It had clearly been a bad idea to delve into those memories. If there was some hidden good to be found from them, it remained a mystery to him. In the years since then he'd drunk more, written less, and achieved none of his goals. Although, he supposed it had led to his friendship with Mike. As dear to him as Mike was though, Sej couldn't argue that alone was worth it. There was the inheritance too. The house, the money. Bitter as his Dad had been, everything had still gone to Sej. He would have given it up in a heartbeat to have a chance to redo their last conversation.

A thought floated up. Sej eyed his muse suspiciously, but let in it. What if he looked at it from the opposite angle. His happiest memory. It seemed a considerably more pleasant option. Sej thought for a moment. Numerous happy memories drifted by and were dismissed. The birthday he got his first bike. His first kiss. Many parties and summer holidays with his friends. One memory slowly bubbled to the top.

~

"This is it, buddy. We did it!" David was giddy with excitement.

Sej chuckled. "Yeah we did, and somehow you did it without learning which way round a robe goes. You've got yours on backwards. Here, let me sort it."

David's cheeks went red, but he stood still and let Sej spin around the black material. "You going to Kyle's party later yeah?" He asked.

"Of course. Everyone's going to be there."

"I heard there's going to be a whole barrel of ale, and other drinks."

"Don't forget the ladies too. Ladies who will be all a quiver to hook up with graduates like us. But first comes actually graduating. Where's your cap?"

Just a few moments later the two of them joined the rest of their classmates in line to the stage for graduation. The queue seemed to move inexorably slowly. David rambled on about the party, and plans for job hunting. Sej only paid half attention. This morning his father had stated, quite adamantly, that he wouldn't be attending any event where all the boys were in dresses. Sej had argued about them being robes for a few minutes, but had to leave.

"Sebastian James"

David had to push him toward the stage steps before he realised it was his name being called. "Good luck, see you on the other side." His friend whispered.

The stage seemed half a mile wide, rather than the actual few paces. Sej crossed it, eyes fixed on the headmaster who stood holding a scroll. He shook hands, and took the certificate.

"Turn to the camera." The headmaster muttered.

Sej turned without thinking and found himself staring at the crowd. Hundreds of parents clapping automatically, awaiting the thirty seconds their particular child would be in the spotlight.

"Smile". Flash.

For Sej though it was a crowd of only one. There, just two rows from the front, was his dad. More than that. It was his dad smiling and clapping wildly. Pride burned in the man's eyes, and Sej suddenly found tears burning in his own.

The photo was taken, and Sej was directed off the other side of the stage.

Already the next name was being called.
© Copyright 2015 Smee (smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038284-Prompt-Fourteen-Memories