*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038384-Prompt-Fifteen-The-End
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Smee
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2038384
The character at the end has a chance to talk to themself at the beginning of the story.
Prompt Fifteen: The End: Word Count 875

~

Sleep had been slow to take Sej, but finally it had. The evening's trips down memory lane had been emotional, and it was no surprise to him that, at first, his dad featured strongly in the dreams.

Then suddenly he was back watching himself in the park with David. It was strange, and distorted. Next he was walking around the town, clearing his head, except he was walking backwards. He was back at the bar, apologising to Mike. Waking up in his house after a night of drinking. Shouting at Mike, dressed in clothes covered in mud. Walking around the town again.

Faster and faster he seemed to move back through the events of the last few days. Tripping in the mud, meeting his date, picking up his new outfit, waking from a nightmare, seeing the dark stranger breaking into the house, hearing the story from David, being measured for the outfit, seeing David again for the first time.

The backwards race slowed down. He was back in the butcher's shop, upset about the price of his veal. The scene shifted one last time, and he was back at home watching himself get ready to go out. It had only been a few days, yet staring at this version of himself, Sej wanted to shout at him about all he'd learnt.

He settled instead for simply stating, "you're a fool." Somehow he knew this was a dream, and that there was no reason the other version would hear him, but it felt good saying it.

"Wha..?" The younger Sej dropped the shirt he was about to put on, and searched for the voice. Blue eyes locked on blue eyes. "How? What... you're me?"

"You can see me?"

"Of course I can see you, you're stood in my bedroom. What's going on? Have I died?"

Sej tried to think. If this was just a dream, then obviously none of it mattered, but something felt odd. It was too vivid. Was his gut really getting that big? Seeing himself from an outside perspective was deeply disturbing.

"You're wondering if your belly really is that big?" Dream Sej observed shrewdly.

"How'd you know that?"

"Because I'm wondering the same. Look at us! When did that happened? And what's up with your eyes, looks like you've spent a week crying."

Sej moved to look in the mirror on the back of the wardrobe door. His eyes were red and raw. "Not a week, just this evening. What day do you think it is?"

"It's Wednesday. 14th May."

Sej nodded. "Wednesday, yes. It was past midnight when I went to bed. It's Wednesday again now."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm you, but one week ahead."

"You're from the future?"

"From my perspective, it's you who are from the past, and I'm just dreaming."

The dream Sej walked over and thumped him on the shoulder. It hurt. "I ain't no dream. You are here, in my bedroom. I was about to go out shopping."

"For veal. I know." He replied, rubbing his shoulder, trying to make sense of it all. "You'll be upset that the prices have gone up again."

"They've what! Again?"

"So if I'm not just dreaming, and I can categorically state I haven't invented a time machine in the last seven days, what is going on?"

"No idea, but I think I want a drink, I don't care how early in the morning it is."

"A drink... that's it!"

"What is? You coming?" He asked, heading out the bedroom towards the study.

"You remember the game, writing a letter to your past self. A chance to let them know things. Hell, we've even written a couple. Remember that one to our ten-year old self?"

The dream Sej stopped, looking interested. "Yeah, but you're a week older, just how much could you know?"

Sej smiled. "It's been a busy week! Let me catch you up."

His counterpart suddenly yelled. "Stop, no. Remember those sci-fi books we've read. You'll screw with time. You can't tell me stuff."

Sej shrugged. "Why else would I be here? Trust me, it's not been a great week, avoiding some of it wouldn't be a bad thing."

"I don't care, I don't want to hear it."

"Eugh, am I really this stubborn. How does David get on with me so well!"

"Wait, David? What about David?"

"Thought you didn't want to hear anything?" Sej smirked slyly. Tricking himself had been too easy.

"Screw it."

"You'll find him again; tomorrow."

"What? Where is he?"

"No, I think you're right. I think I should have a little care what I say. Lets not go overboard on the details."

"Aaargh, I am so annoying!" Both Sej's laughed.

"Gut aside though, I am rather handsome."

"So you're going to tell me I should be doing more exercise."

"I should think you've already decided that for yourself, I know I have. No, I'm going to tell you to quit the booze."

"But..."

"But nothing. You've had your fair share of terrible evenings with it already, but it's going to get real bad this week. And I've realised it's screwing with our writing too."

"What happens?"

"Keep off the hard stuff, and hope you don't have to find out. Trust me."

Future Sej faded away and Sej was left stunned at the empty air he'd been occupying. He looked down, patted the bulge of his belly, and picked up his shirt to finish getting dressed.

This was going to be a weird week.
© Copyright 2015 Smee (smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038384-Prompt-Fifteen-The-End