*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038767-A-Hard-Decision
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2038767
The crew makes a decision.
Written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge

The sub-commanders reported.

"If they get their screens up, our weapons will sting, but won't cause real damage," from the Attack Captain.

"Our protective screens will only hold for minutes if they fire on us," from Defense. "We need to launch a sneak attack."

"Earth Command needs time," from Communications. "They're asking us to take action as we see fit."

"As we see fit?" I repeated the phrase. "Call the crew together. They have the right to participate in this decision."

I had the sub-commanders repeat their reports.

"So, there it is," I summarized. "A sneak attack needed to have hope of success. Earth Command left the decision to us; 'action as we see fit' was their phrase."

"One of our core principles has always been that we don't make sneak attacks. Do these conditions call for foregoing that principle?" I asked.

No one spoke up immediately, but I could see many looking at their neighbors. A young Lieutenant finally stood.

"Admiral, a principle is only needed when it's put to the test," he stated. "We aren't sneaks."

From the applause, it was clear that he spoke for them all. I couldn't have been prouder. They returned to their stations.

"Open a communications channel," I ordered, then paused for a moment, saying a private good bye to my family.

"Admiral, what are you waiting for?" asked my Second.

"Visitors, this is the Earth Cruiser Midway, here to defend our home," I broadcast.

The mammoth intruder turned toward us, but amazingly didn't raise their shields.

"Yes Midway," came through the speaker. "We have monitored your communications. Based on our studies of your culture, we realize the difficulty of the decision you were faced with."

"You passed the test," came next. "We're here to welcome you to the civilized Universe."
© Copyright 2015 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038767-A-Hard-Decision