*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039013-I-Know-Who-You-Really-Are
by amba
Rated: E · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #2039013
April 2015 Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Another sleepless night. He turned on the lamp beside his bed and sat at the edge of the bed. He looked at his wife. He thought about all that he had and how unhappy he still was. He put on his robe and went into the kitchen. On the dining room table his phone was vibrating. He picked up.

“Up so late, Dave?”

“Who’s this?”

The house lights turned off and then back on
.
“Someone much closer to you than you think. I know who you really are. I've seen your thirst for power at the cost of others and this time you've destroyed a life.

I will wreak you down with the ferocity of an obsession, but slowly enough to watch you crumble. You will sweat and shout for help. At first you will threaten me with fury. You will summon your army to dissuade my efforts. Others will attempt to aid you, but I will tear them down and slice at their spirits. In time, they will see your worthlessness and they won't protect you. Your friendships, bound by money, will wither like wet paper. You will finally see them for who they are and they as you are. You will run around mad and terrified at the dim footsteps others have walked before you. Your head rushes and you shake. All the power you've accumulated from your greed will do you no good. You will try to bribe me. You will try so hard to squirm and shout, to bellow and repent, but I'm relentless. I won't stop until you are nothing more than rubble beneath my fist. When I have you cornered, I will only stare back and affirm. You've hurt. You need to be put down, and I will be the one to do it.”


© Copyright 2015 amba (amba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039013-I-Know-Who-You-Really-Are