*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039123-The-God-Complex
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2039123
What happens after someone is the first of their kind and lives thousands of years.
They come from far and wide to celebrate me.

They smile at me, the men bow and the women curtsy before me. The children stare in awe.

They honor me with gifts, each one made to sound greater then the last.

They pretend it is quite a feat to stand near me, to meet me. To even - touch me.

Some come to flatter, with ancient trivia of me.

Some come trying to pry bits of ancient knowledge from me.

Some come to beg for my help and indulgence.

Some come just so they can say - they came.

Each year the line of well wishers grows ever so longer and I grow ever so weary.

Each year they come thinking it’s my birthday or the day I died or the day I was recreated and not really knowing what they are celebrating.

Each year the pile of gifts becomes greater and I become indifferent.

Each year my salutation grows in variations, I am Mr. First, I am Mr. One, I am The Creator, I am – God, for I decided who should live and who should die.

For years, I’ve traveled the universe. Seen things others dream to see.

For years, I have conquered life’s obstacles. Created what others could not imagine.

For years, I did things beyond comprehension.  I left behind my blood, bones and flesh and started a new era in human evolution.

For years, I had a purpose, I had a meaning, I had a goal, and I had a thought.

Now my purpose is to sit here for the well wishers.

Now I have no meaning.

Now there are no more goals.

Now each thought has already been thought.

I became; Mr. First. The very first of my kind.

I was; Mr. One. The only one of my kind.

I am; The Creator. I created myself.

I am; God. I am the extender of life.

© Copyright 2015 R.P. Byrne (mdewboy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039123-The-God-Complex