*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039134-2-Minutes-to-Live
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2039134
Response to stimuli '2 Minutes to Live'. A different & (hopefully) interesting approach.
12 minutes to live.
running. fast. faster than ever before. not thinking, just running. the hub is 12 minutes away. i have done it many times before. i can do it.

10 minutes to live.
looking. over my shoulder. behind me. i can see them. the large one, his face is red and splotchy. the smaller one, his forehead is damp. they are not as fit as me. not as fast.

8 minutes to live.
hiding. in forest now. concealed by trunks, branches, leaves. i lost them. well, they lost me. my body is tired. my body is aching. i can run fast but i feel it after. try and breathe. not working, not breathing. spluttering. gasping. vomiting. but not breathing.

6 minutes to live.
thinking. can breathe again, feeling better. thinking of them. they are after me and they wont stop. they never do. they keep coming and i keep running. repeat. repeat. repeat. want it to stop. afraid that one day i wont be able to run anymore. my life is a joke. ha ha ha. no, not the funny kind of joke. cruel kind. need to go now. must reach the hub.

4 minutes to live.
creeping. on my toes. through forest. stepping over roots, plants, creatures. i am quiet. so quiet. don't want them to hear me. they haven't left. haven't given up. never do. i know they are trying to find me, to follow me. they are searching for any sound of me. that's why i am quiet. almost at the hub now. almost safe.

2 minutes to live.
running. fast. faster than earlier. they found me. was not quiet enough. the hub is starting to emerge. i see it. white building, grey roof. almost there. i can make it. i always make it. i check behind me one last time. they are close. my legs are aching. they are so close. my lungs are burning. they are too close. my heart is pounding. they have never been so close.
i feel it. hot breath on my neck. rough hand on my skin. sharp knife on my throat.
darkness.
© Copyright 2015 Jess Cohen (jess_cohen123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039134-2-Minutes-to-Live