*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039544-10th-Annual-Crop-For-A-Cure
by River
Rated: 13+ · Article · Other · #2039544
Local Scrapbook Event to raise money for cancer.
10th Annual Crop For A Cure


On April 4, 2015, twenty- five ladies gathered at the Richmond Community Centre eager to participate in the 10th Annual Crop For a Cure. This scrapbook event is organized each year by Carie Nixon in memory of her father, Chuck Nixon, who lost his battle with cancer ten and a half years ago.

For people who love to scrapbook, Crop For A Cure is a fun event to take part in.  It is a great time to gather with friends and other scrapbooking enthusiasts, to share creative ideas, learn new techniques, and work on your projects.  You don’t have to be a scrapbooker to enjoy this crop, there are many participants who are card makers and stampers as well.

To register for the crop, each participant  donates a 25,00 cheque made out to the Canadian Cancer Society and brings in pledge sheets filled with the names and donations of their sponsors. This year the sponsors were asked to provide the name of someone whose life has been touched by cancer.  These names were written on heart shaped cardstock pieces and attached to a wall spelling out Crop For a Cure. Throughout the day we took time to reflect on the names.

Everyone received a door prize, and raffle tickets were sold for some fantastic prizes.  There were squeals of delight each time someone’s name was pulled. What a fun way to raise money for such an important cause. 

A quick game or challenge can inspire creativity when you are scrapbooking for hours. Games can add excitement to the crop or help break someone’s “scrappers block.” Upon our arrival we were given supplies to do a “make and take” double page layout.  There were a layout sketch challenge and a scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt list included tools and items that people were apt to have plus a few unique items. We had a hilarious time searching through our supplies to come up with the objects on the list. I don’t think anyone came up with a yellow bra.

Sandwiches, cookies, muffins, and coffee were available from the kitchen manned by Carie’s mother and daughters.  The money from the kitchen helps with expenses for the event, and all profit afterwards goes to the Canadian Cancer Society. The sale of raffle tickets also goes to the Canadian Cancer Society.  In all, $3,549.00 was collected this year, bringing the total raised over ten years, to $34,083.00.

Carie would like to send a huge thank you to the businesses who donated prizes. Papeterie 2000, Scrapbook Central, Ninabrook, Gabriel Couture -Timbermart, Les Gars des Saucisse, Stampin' Up! (Carie Nixon.)  Thank you, also, to all the ladies who donated prizes and food for the kitchen, and those who came to share the day.

Carie was presented with a bouquet of flowers and a framed certificate of appreciation for organizing this event.  Congratulations, Carie, your dedication to this cause is truly appreciated.


© Copyright 2015 River (riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2039544-10th-Annual-Crop-For-A-Cure