*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040654-GodCalled-A-Novel-Sample
by Punzie
Rated: E · Sample · Action/Adventure · #2040654
This is a sample for my book GodCalled. If enough people like it I may publish the rest.
    The darkness beyond the candle played with the light just as the light, created by the candle played with the darkness beyond. I watched the shadows and the light play with each other and slowly the play turned into a fight and the fight turned into a raging battle. The light and darkness battled each other for the land on the floor around the candle. I watched it silently. Calmly observing the silent battling, comparing it to my life. The longer they battled, the more the candle wore down and the light began to lose the battle and the darkness closed in on the light. But when I replaced the worn down candle with a new one the light retaliated, totally obliterating the dark in the area, but when I blew out the candle the dark did the same to the light.



I wondered if the Gods had a candle, a small candle. I wondered if they had drawn a large circle around the candle. I wondered if that was how they influenced the world of the humans. Every flicker of the flame, centuries down on the earth. I wondered as I sat in the darkness observing the candle. And I questioned. I questioned the reason the Gods had for abandoning us to a world without them. I also questioned why they would blow out the candle, leaving us all in darkness, before they left. I questioned the world, the Gods, my family, and myself. I wondered over anything and everything.



    I stared at the flickering light and wondered if maybe the Gods had been gone for years, wishing, for better children, knowing our world was already doomed and our candle had just run    out. I wondered what could have happened if the Gods had stayed. Would the light have won? Would I have been born in light and not in darkness? I sighed and watched the candle flicker and wondered to myself if I had just swayed a battle in some far off land for centuries with my sigh. And I pondered.



    I pondered the ability of the Gods. I pondered the power that their hand and breath had to change the fate of mankind for centuries, for millennia. I pondered at their boredom with humankind and at how they could not be fascinated by the lives of thousand, millions, billions of people that existed in the millisecond of a millisecond. I pondered the ability to see and pick one person out of that millisecond and appoint them as their speaker. Maybe they did for amusement. Or maybe they did not do it at all. The ones picked to speak for the Gods might be picked by the humans, seeking for someone to lead them, someone to help them along. Maybe they did this because the Gods do not answer people’s prayers. Maybe they did this because those who have no control over the people, now do. Or maybe they do it because they know the Gods  do not care what they do or to whom they do it to. Or maybe the Gods do not exist at all and we are all trapped in a great circle of life and death.



    I pondered these things, as I ponder all things, in silence. And I wondered and I questioned and I asked and thought back to the great trail of my life to what brought me here. Here to sit and think.

© Copyright 2015 Punzie (punzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040654-GodCalled-A-Novel-Sample