*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040932-Chapter-30
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2040932
Annie and Jack are dropped off. The Brotherhood visits a senator.
 Chapter 29  (13+)
The priest and the hag...
#2040836 by Hyperiongate


Chapter 30

The helicopter cleared the Sierra Nevada range and continued on into California’s Central Valley.

Jack and Annie sat silently the entire time; both with their own thoughts.

Annie’s mind was wrapped around JD11. Although they’d only exchanged a few “audible” words, she felt a very strong link between the two of them. He’d someone made her a better person. No, that wasn’t right. She wasn’t better, she was…just different. Perhaps more aware of things around her. This awareness had brought out other traits. For example, she used to fear school. Books were anchors that must be dragged around until some sort of diploma was dutifully offered in recognition of her labors. Now, she felt no fear of learning. This lack of fear changed books from anchors into opportunities. This lack of fear allowed her to breeze through a book, capturing all at a glance. No longer had she needed to read and re-read to make sure she retained what she was force-feeding into her mind.

That was all just a small part of The Change. She could reach out with her mind and feel the intent of the marines with them. They were there for her and Jack’s protection. They would give their lives to protect their charge. Annie knew this, not through some sort of magic. She knew it because there was an abundance of information available should she care enough to sense it. The way the men sat; the way their eyes were constantly alert, the moisture on their skin and the pace of their breath. All of these indicated, alertness and confidence. They were ready for action but would not initiate it needlessly. In other words, they were in a defensive mode. They were there to defend them.

Jack’s mind was on Lise. It was hard to believe she was gone. No, “believe” was the wrong word. She’d been killed as he lay unconscious in the hospital lobby. Since that time, he’d been in a coma, only recently waking. No one had told him about the fate of Lise. There had been need. He knew that he had somehow been with her when she passed on to whatever one passed onto. While his memories about this were unclear, he could feel her with him. She was there, so close that he could almost reach out and touch her; but when his eyes scanned the helicopter, they saw only Annie, equipment and marines.

He closed his eyes and just let her be with him in whatever capacity was at hand.

A couple of hours later, the pilot announced, “We will be landing in ten.”

Shortly after that, the helicopter set down. Jack and Annie were led out and onto a sprawling space of nothingness. There was not a building in site. The sun was just starting to set. A black SUV was fifty yards away.

“Sir, here are the keys to that car. There is food and a satchel of money in the back seat.” Said a marine; handing Jack the keys and turning back towards the helicopter.

“Wait a minute!” shouted Jack over the sound of the blades. “Where are we? What are we supposed to do now?”

“The colonel will be in touch with you in a day or so,” he said. Then pointing towards a glow over the distance western horizon, “That’s Bakersfield.”

A minute later, the helicopter was disappearing into the fading evening light.

*****

The senator stared unbelievably at the priest standing across the desk from him. The smallish religious man and been sent to call in a marker. The senator owed his current position of power, in large part to the Brotherhood. They knew it, although it was never brought up. When the Brotherhood backed you, your future support for them was understood.

Still, he couldn’t help but let a little bit of his indignation show. After all, he’d been awoken in the middle of the night with the simple message, “Be at your office in one hour.”

They called and he came. However, this had better be good.

“Senator, the Brotherhood is very grateful that you were able to meet with me this morning. I hope that I have not caused you any undo trouble.”

“Yes, yes Father, it’s no trouble at all. To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”

“I’m sure you’re aware of the recent events in Reno, Nevada. Nasty stuff that. Imagine, some crazy man going in and blowing up a hospital. I understand some of the staff and at least one patient were killed.”

The senator was immediately on edge. He knew that his information to the Brotherhood had played a role of some sort in the entire debacle. The fact that this priest was bringing this up now could not be good news.

“Yes Father, I read all about that in the news. Terrible times we live in, no?”

The priest put his hands on the table and leaned over and spoke with a voice so menacing, the senator found it almost hard to believe it had come from a man of the cloth.

“The target was not killed during the attack. Our best intelligence says that if this is true, then your Colonel Lanier probably has him. I’m assuming you know where this Lanier might be found. In know he’s located on or near Nellis Air Force Base.”

“That’s not possible!” said the senator, unable to believe what he was hearing. There had been massive damage and a significant body count. Even the hospital had provided positive identification. A patient, known as JD11 had died that day.

“Senator, I’m not going to argue about what is or is not possible with you. The Dark Angel is clever and does not lie down easily. I can assure you he is alive and well. I need you to secure him for me. I’m flying out to Las Vegas in two hours. I’ll be at Nellis by noon. At that time, I expect Colonel Lanier to meet me at the gates of Nellis where we will arrange for his “guest” to be transferred over to me.”

“Father, I think you may overestimate how much influence I have. The colonel does not report to me. So far as I can tell, he doesn’t report to anyone; at least not to anyone that I have any sway with.”

“In that case senator, I suggest you get to work and find out who he does report to. I can’t imagine he’ll give up his prize willingly. You may need to look for ways to “convince” him to cooperate. If he’s at Nellis, that shouldn’t be too hard to do. After all, the military still works for the government doesn’t it. If he goes rogue, then I suppose you’ll just have to resort to force.”

“I’ll do my best, Father. That’s all I can promise.”

The priest smiled and said, “I’m sure you will, Senator. Your job depends on it.”

Without further comment, the priest turned and left the office. He had an airplane to catch.

 Chapter 31  (13+)
Someone wants JD11. The colonel recalls "the visit"
#2041083 by Hyperiongate

© Copyright 2015 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040932-Chapter-30