*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041216-The-Fountain-Pen-A-Technical-Description
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2041216
Technical writing sample
The Fountain Pen – A Technical Description

The fountain pen is a cylindrical handheld writing tool used for making lines and marks on paper and flat porous surfaces. The pen consists of two main parts: a removable snug-fitting cap and the utilitarian barrel-body containing a liquid ink reserve, secured by a feeder and sharp metal nib. The tool operates by gravity and capillarity, releasing ink through the feeder when light pressure is applied to the nib tip against paper. Gravity pulls ink from the internal holding chamber, while the external feeder and a small air hole in the nib serve to aid in ink flow control.

Ink supply is replenished by removing the reservoir, squeezing while holding it vertically in a jar of ink and releasing to allow capillary action to draw ink into the reservoir. Alternately, a disposable ink cartridge may be inserted onto the feeder.

Applying constant pressure to the tool against paper creates smooth continuous lines for writing, sketching and mapping. The nib is an interchangeable component, available in three styles and nine widths. With extended use, the nib will wear down to accommodate the user’s style of writing.

When not in use, the barrel screws into the cap, creating an airtight seal to keep the pen from drying.

The exterior of the cap is fitted with a slender clip for attaching the tool to a shirt pocket.

Fountain pens are often considered valuable, high quality writing tools.
© Copyright 2015 nflight (nflight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041216-The-Fountain-Pen-A-Technical-Description