*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041220-William-the-Borrower
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fanfiction · #2041220
If you liked the movie "The Borrowers" growing up then this is the story for you.
Canada, year 2001.

The family of tiny borrowers had lived happily within the old house for many decades. Tin and Vasey had two beautiful boys, Tanner was 8 and William was 10. They lived within the floorboards as any house borrower would, borrowing what they needed from the human sized “Beans.”

Of course they followed the borrower way: quiet, cautious, inconspicuous. “A borrower must never be seen,” the words were repeated over and over to the children. When the boys were old enough, Tin took them out on their first ever exploration of the giant world before them. They were both agape with enthusiasm and awe, unable to take their eyes off of the unlimited vastness of the home outside their walls. They eagerly assisted their Dad with the day’s borrowings, excitedly telling their mother about the day. She smiled sweetly at Tin, who winked and ruffled the boy’s hair.

As the boys grew older they became more and more experienced with the borrowing. Pretty soon they didn’t need their father at all. They came back to their home beneath the floorboards each evening kissing their mother happily. “Here mom,” Tanner said as he pulled a shiny penny out of his knapsack with two hands, placing it upon the dining room table made of a thread spool. “Found this for you!”
“Thank you Tanner!” She cooed regally, wrapping her strong arms around her youngest boy. William rolled his eyes.

As the days of borrowing went on, William started to arrive home late which sent his mother and Dad into an awful tizzy. “You worry your mother sick,” Tin scolded him the one evening.
“I am fine Dad!” William assured him over and over. “I just got sidetracked.”
“There is no room for being sidetracked in a borrower’s schedule,” Tin explained. “It is dangerous and unruly.”
“Well maybe I don’t agree with the whole Borrower way,” Will mocked. He could tell that this hurt his Mom and Dad deeply.

William always knew he was a little bit different from the rest of his family. While they were busy creating intricate escape plans and new and creative ways to go unseen, Will was always fascinated with the Beans. He couldn't help himself, he just had to watch them, observe their actions, understand their existence. Perhaps he was bored, he thought one day. After all he had been living in this same house with the same massive Beans for years. Who else was there to get to know? But something was telling him it went deeper than that. It was like he needed to be near them and know what they were all about. Their lifestyle seemed so much simpler than theirs. It allowed for so much more freedom and far less fear and concern. How wonderful it must be to awaken each day with full access to everything one needs without borrowing!

William had already learned all the Bean’s names through careful observation. Marie was the oldest girl, followed by Helen and then Elizabeth. The sisters were all close in age and seemed to get along well for the most part. Their parents were Alexander and Leigh, and they didn’t seem to be home too much. They must both work, William thought. Marie’s room was closest to their dwelling beneath the floor boards, and William spent more time sneaking around in there than he would have ever admitted to his Mom and Dad.

As a teenager he loved to peek in on the girls as they listened to music, chatted with friends on the computer, and argued with each other. They were relentless; such odd behaviour. Elizabeth seemed to be a main target for Helen, who picked on her little sister terribly. Marie was the peace keeper and older guardian, who was a bit of a know-it-all but had a big heart. She liked to boss her little sisters around but always seemed to be there for them if they needed a shoulder to cry on.

Marie in particular was someone who intrigued William’s fascination. She had grown into a beautiful, intelligent girl throughout the years and he noticed a very strong difference in her demeanor. It was hard to describe, she just seemed aware. Aware of herself, aware of those around her, aware of life in general. She was quiet and mild mannered, the most notable difference from her childhood. Will still thought about the day 10 years ago when he was almost discovered, and it sends chills up his spine.

He remembered the particular instance in which he was almost seen like it was yesterday. Marie had come home a little early as Will was busy collecting pieces of yarn from a knit sweater sitting on the bed. Normally he would not risk borrowing anything this close to the girls’ expected arrival home from school, but the yarn was desperately needed for repairs and he did not expect such an early return. He remembered the scent of the material that had him mesmerized; he pictured Marie’s sweet skin underneath the intertwined sweater, his tiny body caressing her massive arm…
The slam of the front door a few rooms over had caused him to jump, his shears becoming hopelessly tangled within the faded blue yarn. “Shit,” he muttered aloud, desperately trying to pull them free. As he pulled with all of his might, his feet slid deeper within the loose knit material, tangling him. In a panic he leapt from the bed, pulling the sweater down with him and dragging it underneath the bed. He barely managed to pull it under before Marie barged in to her room, plopping herself roughly onto the bed. Will remembered how fast his little heart had been pounding, the sweat that had beaded up on his face, and the sheer adrenaline rush he had experienced that day. Knowing that at any moment Marie may choose to look for her sweater, grab it from under the bed and yank his helpless, tangled body with it. What would she do to him if she had found him? It was unlike anything he had ever experienced. He thought about it often.

For many years he observed Marie. He felt like he knew every little detail about her. He knew that she crinkled her forehead in frustration when she was studying as if she were doubting her abilities. He knew that she loved to listen to classic rock and stare out the window, smiling slightly as each little thought hit her mind. She was a deep thinker full of devious thoughts, yet as gentle as a lamb. William decided that he liked her because she was much like himself in many ways. They both worked hard to please those who were important to them, yet longed for something more.


15 years later

William was notorious for sneaking out at night still to this day. Now a grown borrower, almost 25 years old, he would still wait quietly until his family was sound asleep. He would creep through the walls like a mouse until he reached the familiar crack in the wall, just big enough for him to squeeze his little body through. He climbed into her bookshelf; wriggled through a few leaning books, and would sit and watch her breathing deeply upon her bed, the blankets moving slowly up and down. Her breathes were long and powerful, each a little more relaxed than the last. Every so often she would whimper and awaken, her face showing deep concern and restlessness. William felt strong pain for her when this happened. He longed to be able to comfort her.

Tanner, now 23, had become an outside borrower much to his Mom and Dad’s dismay. He assured them that he would be safe, and still came to visit often. He longed for the outdoors and all of the openness it had to offer. Making his cozy home within a hollow tree surrounded by brush, Tanner had begun his new life with passion and hopefulness. There were times when William was envious of his younger brother; the outdoors had always appealed to him. However he knew he belonged inside within the comfort that the walls provided. And besides, he could never dream of leaving his beloved Bean.

“The outdoors are risky,” Tanner advised his brother one day upon his return for a quick visit. “You wouldn’t believe the amount of squirrels I have to fight off just to protect my dwelling.
“Are they afraid of you?” William asked, slightly amused.
“Most of them, yes.” Tanner replied. “They aren’t bright. As long as you make yourself look big and use rapid movements they will generally bugger off.”
“Hmm,” William muttered. “What about Beans?”
“That is the best part,” Tanner smiled. “They don’t live outside. They stay in their houses, so they are not a worry.”
“And dogs and cats?”
“I can avoid them.”
“Just be careful,” his mother warned him. “I don’t like all of the critters that come out after dark.”
“I am just fine Mom,” He replied hastily. “Besides, there are lots of other borrowers out there to show me the ropes.”
“Oh!” Vasey squealed happily. “Good to hear!”
Tanner turned towards his brother. “I met a few girls, Will.” He winked. “I could set you up I am sure.”
“No thanks,” Will shook his head and frowned.
“Will is a hard worker,” Tin piped up from across their small kitchen. “His mind is always on his borrowings. He has no time for women.”
Will laughed, wishing it were true.

The Beans had become a bigger and bigger worry for Tin and Vasey. Now that the three giant girls were grown up they were home more often, and they had become smarter too. The youngest one had begun setting traps, becoming suspicious of her small knick-knacks being stolen. It had become harder and harder for them to borrow. They often depended on William who had become the most accomplished borrower they had ever seen. He avoided the traps easily with no hesitation at all. They were very proud of their boy who had so quickly become a man.

One night Will snuck into Marie’s room rather late and was surprised to see her still awake. “This is hopeless,” she was sighing to herself in frustration. She was plopped in front of the computer, slightly hunched in her posture. Her eyes were glued to the screen. She muttered to herself as she typed away. William had noticed her stress lately and felt for her. She was always on her computer writing page after page; he was almost certain she was preparing for something. She had many books and seemed like a very wise girl. Will was sure she could accomplish anything.


October, 2014.

Sugar, William decided. He should likely bring some home as it was a family favourite. Mom would be happy to have some, he smiled to himself. Grabbing his fishing hook, William tossed his long thread up to the kitchen chair. The hook easily latched itself onto the material of the chair so he could climb up to its surface. Once on the chair, Will made a lasso with the other end of the string, tossing it over the handle of the kitchen sink faucet. Pulling it tight, he created a zip line in which he could maneuver himself from the chair to the top of the counter. He pulled himself across effortlessly, planting his feet atop the shiny counter’s surface. Casually he glanced around the kitchen. He loved the feeling of being higher up than usual. He pulled his thimble out of his knapsack, walking towards the sugar bowl.

“Odd,” William muttered aloud as he reached the bowl. It was positioned surprisingly close to the edge of the sink, shards of sugar particles spewn all over. The lid was ajar as if someone had been in a rush this morning and dropped the bowl awkwardly as they ran. William approached the bowl hastily, shoving the lid the rest of the way off of the bowl. It hit the counter with a bang, causing him to jump. He gripped his thimble and began to climb the side of the small bowl, reaching in with one arm to retrieve some of the powdery goodness. Suddenly the bowl began to tip and William yelped, it was not as full as he originally thought. In a swift motion the bowl toppled over, rolling along the counter. To William’s alarm he slipped on the counter’s surface and fell, his body sliding down the harsh edge of the sink. He landed upon his back in the stainless steel gully, looking up to the ceiling. Slowly the man sat up, shaking his head. The world around him spun for a moment and it took a few deep breathes for him to gain his bearings. He seemed alright, nothing was injured. He looked around and signed, cursing his clumsiness. Quickly Will reached behind him for his string, already looking up to the sink’s faucet and anticipating his lasso throw. His heart skipped a beat. His string! He had used it to climb from the chair to the counter!
“No…” William breathed. Why had he not grabbed it after he reached the counter? In any other circumstance he would have, only an idiot would leave it behind. Perhaps he had become cocky, knowing he could simply grab the sugar and leave again. He had not accounted for this at all.

William’s heart began to beat wildly. He felt faint with sudden panic. He desperately scanned the inside of the sink for something he could use but it was completely empty. Only his frightened little body was inside its walls. He cursed under his breath. Of all the days for the sink to be empty rather than full of dishes, he thought. Dishes would have allowed for something to climb so he could have easily freed himself. Will quickly ran to the edge of the sink, leaping against its walls in an attempt to climb it. It was no use, it was too steep and slippery. He ran to the drain thinking that he could maybe escape this way, but the opening grate was far too small. He could barely fit a leg in there. “Oh no…” he said nervously, his mouth hanging open slightly. “No, no!” He was screaming now, panic taking over. “Help!” he screamed as loud as he could. He wished to God that his Mom or Dad would hear him.

The click of the front door brought William to full alert. Someone was home. “Oh God,” Will’s voice squeaked a small and pitiful sound. He pinned himself against the side of the sink, trying to steady his uneven breathes. All of these years of being fascinated by the Beans, longing to talk to them…longing to meet them…he could feel all of that dwindling away and replacing itself with fear. He was terrified at the thought of them seeing him. What would they do? William didn’t want to think about it. He wanted to hide, he wanted to escape.

It was Leigh making her way into the kitchen. Will could see her giant stature looming over top of him where he hid, pressed against the side of the sink. “Don’t look down, don’t look down…”
“Mom?” Marie’s voice came into the kitchen.
“Yes Marie,” she replied unenthusiastically.
“Can you come help me for a sec?”
Leigh left the kitchen however William was anything but relieved. He needed to find a way out. He tried to scramble up the side of the sink again. Soon the voices returned to the kitchen. “What the…” It was Leigh’s voice. “Why is there a fish hook sticking out of the chair? And string? Or is that dental floss?”
“I don’t know,” Marie said. Her voice sounded intrigued.
Leigh grabbed the hook and string, pulling it from the faucet with a snap and tossing it in the garbage. She sighed and made her way out of the kitchen. Marie quickly grabbed it from the trash, studying it thoroughly. “Hmm,” she hummed to herself.

William could see her coming closer. He could barely breathe he was so afraid. Perhaps she wouldn’t see him. Perhaps they would both leave again, giving him more time to think. Suddenly he heard Marie gasp, just a small sound but enough that he could tell he had been spotted. He snapped his head around, looking up at the surprised Bean. She was looking directly at him, his frail little body quivering under her stare. He expected that she would begin to scream, alerting the whole house of his presence. He pictured them all running to the kitchen, screaming as they saw him, one swift bat with a frying pan…
But she didn’t scream. She just watched him in awe, her mouth hanging open slightly, eyes wide and alert.

Will could see his whole life flash before his eyes. He saw how much his Mom and Dad depended on him to keep them safe and well fed. How stupid he was to allow this to happen to him. Was it all going to end this way?

After a moment Marie closed her mouth and swallowed hard. Slowly, she crept closer to the sink, peering in further at the terrified little man. He looked up at her as if he was pleading, and she could see his little legs trembling even from where she stood. She decided it best not to question at the moment and suddenly remembered the hook and string. “Ah,” she said aloud, realizing instantly what must have happened. She wondered how long these uncanny, human-like little creatures had been inhabiting their home.

“Marie?” Her Mom’s voice suddenly snapped her out of her trance. She could hear her making her way back down the stairs. The little man jumped, his whole body trembling in fear. He was whimpering she suddenly noticed, and he looked desperate to escape. His eyes darted wildly, then finally settled back on her. “Here,” she said, quickly grabbing a glass from the cupboard. She lowered it into the sink, urging him to get in. “Quick,” she coaxed.

The little man seemed to snap out of his freeze game as Marie looked up at her Mom entering the kitchen. He dove into the glass, which Marie carefully lifted from the sink and slid into her hoodie pocket. She placed her palm over the top of the glass just to ensure that the little thing wouldn’t fall out. “What?” She replied to her Mom.

“I said what do you want for dinner.”
“Oh. I am ok for now, I will likely go out later. I can make you something though, does that sound ok?”
Her Mom smiled. “I am going to miss you when you leave,” she said, slight evidence of tears forming. She sniffled slightly.
Marie smiled. “I will miss you too, Mom.”
“Did you get your report done?”
“It’s not a report Mom, it’s an application. For teacher’s college. And yes I am just about finished. I have a pretty good chance at getting in.”
“Good,” her Mom replied. “You would be good at it.”

Marie made her way upstairs, still grasping the glass tightly. She entered her room and closed the door, carefully removing the glass from her front pocket. She held it upright, revealing the terrified little borrower inside. He had his hands pressing against the sides, staring at her with wild eyes. Moving a few papers out of the way, Marie tipped the glass on its side on her desk, letting the man slide out. He sat for a moment on her desk. He looked so small she could barely believe it. His features resembled those of a normal human being, only he was roughly 3 inches tall. His little face was so defined that she could still see every little ounce of expression despite its size. His arms and legs moved so lightly that she could already tell how agile he must be. His clothes looked old and tattered, but seemed to protect him nicely. She could recognize each little garment that covered his body as a regular household item. A sock covered his torso with little holes cut out for the arms and elastic that held the material close to his body. His pants looked like they were made out of the fingers of a leather glove, and on his feet were two perfect little band-aid moccasins. How fascinating, Marie thought. William looked up at her once more. He watched her curiously for a moment, and then scrambled to the edge of the desk. “Be careful!” She gasped as he gazed at the floor below.
“Please,” William begged as he realized there was no way he would survive a jump like this. “Please don’t hurt me!” He knew he was at her mercy; completely helpless to this Bean.
Marie sat up straight, taken aback by his comment. “Hurt you? No. Never.” She replied.

William could see that the comment hurt her deeply. He felt a sudden tinge of guilt, and his body relaxed slightly. He looked into her eyes, their icy blue stare was mesmerizing. Her blonde hair fell casually past her shoulders which were relaxed. Her face was soft. William didn’t know what to do.

“Are you hurt?” Marie asked him. William was too afraid to reply. He tried to stand but his legs shook terribly. Marie sighed. “Listen, you are clearly very scared. I am curious about you but I don’t want to keep you captive. I am sorry I scared you.” She very carefully reached down and lifted William up into her hands. William squeaked slightly but did not struggle. Her hands felt soft and warm. She carefully set him down on the floor. “Go on now,” she urged, turning away from him.

William couldn’t believe it. He was free. He had been captured by a Bean and seen her face to face, yet he was free. He quickly got to his feet and ran as fast as his little legs would allow. Before reaching the crack in the wall William stopped. He turned around, scanning the room for her once more. She still sat at the desk, her back to him. After a moment she pulled her papers close, busying herself in her studying. He breathed a sigh of relief, the first full breath he had taken since he slipped and fell in the sink. He slid within the walls, making his way home.


For days William said nothing to his Mom and Dad. They had noticed a difference in him, but brushed it off as his usual boredom. The only thing they mentioned were the unusual yet wonderfully delicious morsels of food Will was bringing home. “Where did you get this?” Tin asked, holding up the piece of perfectly cut up strawberry. William just smiled and shrugged, which his parents took to be extreme modesty. In reality, Will was gladly accepting the little gifts that Marie was leaving him outside the crack in the wall.

“Perhaps you should go visit your brother,” Tin suggested one morning. “It might be nice for you to get outside, nice change of scenery.”
William nodded, deciding they were maybe right. He packed his things and made his way outside. The fresh breeze and eerie quietness was so foreign to him. He couldn’t decide if he liked it or not. When he reached his brother they sat and talked for hours, mostly about childhood memories and plans for the future. Finally William build up the nerve to ask what was really on his mind.

“Tanner, what do you think of the Beans?”
“Beans?” He repeated, a confused expression hitting his face. “What do you mean?”
“I mean, what are your thoughts on them? On their demeanour and their intentions?”
“I think they would take any opportunity they had to use us for science,” Tanner replied. “If they ever got a hold of us, I mean. Just think, we would be like a perfect little human model that they could dissect and experiment on.”
The thought caused William to shutter.
“What about you?” Tanner asked.
“I guess I don’t know,” William replied. “I don’t think they would do that.”
“Sure they would. Most Beans are not very nice, we would be like a pest in their home, I would imagine. Which is why I prefer it out here.”
William nodded, but he still wasn’t sure.

After several weeks, William snuck into Marie’s room while she was away. Papers littered her desk and he desperately wished he could find a way up there. He longed to know what she was working on. He surveyed her books on the bookshelf. Margaret Atwood, Yann Martel, Judith Butler…the author’s name’s meant nothing to William. He wished he knew more about them, and more about Marie. Another week passed and William could not take it anymore. He had to see Marie again. He had to talk to her. He could not get the entire incident out of his head. Why had she not harmed him? Every little detail came back to him in a vivid memory; he had never been so excited, so aroused in his entire life. He had been watching her; spying on her since the incident. Every little movement, every word that escaped her lips he needed to know. He became more and more curious about her, even brought himself to sneak a peek as she undressed. He knew it was wrong, but he couldn’t help himself. There was something about her that created such a fire within him.

Slowly William crept through the walls, making his way to her room. He peered through the crack. She was sitting on her bed, typing on the computer. She took a sip of her tea, her eyes forward and focused on the screen. A sudden knot formed in Will’s stomach. He had no idea how to approach her, or whether he should approach her at all. He pictured himself being awkward with most girls his own size, let alone one that could easily step on him. He squeezed out of the crack and scurried across the floor to the foot of the bed. Perhaps he could just listen to her typing, maybe catch a sigh or two. Yes, this would be good enough for him.

Suddenly Marie got up from her spot and made her way to the desk. William dove underneath the bed, he was not prepared to reveal himself. As she sat down at the desk Will could see that she was heavily focused. She had tired eyes but was not ready to quit. She put her head in her hands where she sat and sighed deeply. Perhaps she was frustrated with her application, he decided. The curiosity hit William hard, and he desperately wanted to help. Surely a girl as sweet and generous as this would not harm him in any way. As quiet as a mouse he grasped on to the comforter that hung over the bed and climbed up. He pulled himself up on top of the bed, awkwardly trying to stand on its uneven surface. As he took a step he awkwardly tripped, gasping loudly.

The Bean turned, slightly startled by the noise. She looked around the room, and then down at the bed. She smiled suddenly when she saw Will, her face instantly brightening. “Oh!” She uttered, clearing her throat and rubbing her eyes. Will jumped backward, staring at her with round eyes.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized awkwardly, his gaze pointed down at the floor. How silly of him to not have a plan; or at least something to say to her. Marie was at a loss as well. She opened her mouth to speak, quickly closing it and turning her face away. The muscles in her forehead tightened and she blushed. How adorable, William thought. All of his fear began to dwindle away. Marie turned her chair to face the little man on the bed. She stayed where she was in fear she might frighten him.

Will said something that Marie didn’t quite catch. “You are so small,” she said quietly. “I cannot hear you.” Will tried to make his way closer to her but couldn’t go beyond the edge of the bed. “Here,” Marie said, coming towards him. “May I pick you up?”
Will stared at her for a moment, but then slowly nodded. He swallowed hard. Carefully the girl lifted the little man into her hands. He did not struggle or protest, merely sat and watched her with fascination. His blue eyes were big and curious. His face was pale yet he had hints of a few freckles. His features were petite, yet he had quite a muscular build for how small he was. His hair was bright red and adorable. She set him upon her desk. “What are you working on?” Will repeated.

“Ah,” Marie piped up, her expression changing from shy to alert. “It is David Henry Thoreau. I am studying some of his work, it is really quite fascinating.” She pointed to a paragraph in her book, and opened up her hand slightly so William could peer out. “He is a beautiful writer. Have you ever read his poetry?”

William shook his head.

“You really should,” Marie told him, smiling.

William gazed at all of the books and papers laid out across her desk. He wanted to read them all. He wanted to experience all of them.

“You are leaving,” William said quite suddenly.
“Yes,” Marie replied. “How did you know?”
“I remember the conversation you had with your Mom.”
“When you were trapped in the sink? I didn’t think you would remember that.”
“Yes, I do.” Will replied. He shifted his weight slightly where he sat.
“Are you comfortable?” Marie asked him.
William looked up at the Bean. She was so beautiful, so caring. He smiled at her, which she returned.
“I want to go with you when you move out,” Will said.

Marie was taken aback. This was all moving so fast. Even William was shocked by his own comment. He couldn’t help it. “Come with me? Why?”

“I-I don’t know,” William stuttered. “I just, I don’t…” He trailed off and looked away, embarrassed. “I am sorry.” He finally finished. Marie comforted him with a gentle smile and very carefully scooped him up once more. His feather light body was warm against her skin. Carefully she brushed the tip of her thumb through his hair. She studied him carefully, making sure to support him comfortably in her hands. She wrapped her fingers around him which he seemed to like. The little man snuggled into her touch, grasping her fingers with his arms. He looked up at her longingly, hoping she would not let go.


Will couldn’t believe it. Finally, after years of desire he was being held and caressed by this gorgeous, gentle giant. He awoke each day giddy with excitement and he often found himself craving her company. It was thrilling, he decided that there was no other word to describe their relationship. They had gotten to know each other fairly well, each of them talking for hours on end. Marie enjoyed the little borrower’s company over almost anyone she knew, and she always welcomed him. He seemed to understand her on a level that no one else did. She suspected it was because he had many many years to watch her and her sisters. Marie enjoyed reading to Will, who was in awe at all of the beautiful poetry and writing that Marie enjoyed. He very quickly became an English enthusiast; every refreshing paragraph lifting his spirits and awakening his mind. “I don’t usually have anyone to talk to,” Marie admitted to William one day. “It is refreshing to be able to have someone here. College will be enough work as it is, I will barely have time for anything else.”

“I haven’t had anyone decent to talk to in years,” Will told her. “Except for my Mom and Dad, and my brother.”

“There are more of you?”

“”Yes, we all live here in the house.”

Marie chuckled. “And what would they say if they knew you were talking to me every day?”

William smirked, shaking his head. He looked up at his friend who had made him feel so happy and alive these past few days. He didn’t care what his family thought.


December, 2014

The air was becoming cooler in the house, a sure sign that it was winter outside. Tanner was spending more and more time back home, the cold becoming troubling for him to find food and keep warm. He didn't hesitate to try and convince his brother to join him in the spring. He worried about his big brother being cooped up beneath the floorboards.

"You seem different," Tanner commented during dinner one night.
"Different how?" William asked, uninterested. He kept his eyes focused on his plate; Marie had left him a few peas and kernels of corn for him to take to his family for dinner.
"Distracted, perhaps." Tanner replied. "Doesn't he, Dad?"
"Hmm," his Dad mumbled, his mouth full.

After dinner Tanner found his brother in his room. "Where have you been sneaking out to? You have met someone, haven't you."

William smiled at his brother's comment. He couldn't help it. "Maybe," he said in modesty. Tanner's face lit up. "Really? A girl? Where, and how? There are no other borrowers in this house. You have been sneaking around outside haven't you!" Tanner was giddy with excitement. It was unusual to see him like this.

"Well, not exactly," William replied.

"What? What are you talking about?" Tanner's face was still gleeful. "I want to meet her!"

"No, you probably don't."

"Will!" Tanner was getting frustrated now at his brother's stubbornness.

"You really want to meet her?"

"Yes!"

Will got up from his bed. He smirked at his brother and motioned for him to follow. Tanner practically leapt to his feet, eager to go. As they traveled through the wall William became nervous. What was his brother going to think? Maybe this was a terrible idea. After all, he liked having his relationship with Marie a total secret. It gave him a sense of power and superiority. They reached the crack in the wall and William slipped through. Tanner followed hesitantly. "Why are we going in here?" He asked.

William stayed quiet as he surveyed the room. Marie was nowhere to be seen. "Hmm," he said quietly to himself. He made his way in, walking casually across the floor. "William!" His brother hissed. "Are you nuts?! Get back here, the Beans are home you know! I can hear them downstairs!"

"Relax," he replied without facing his brother. He looked up at the bed, her laptop was still sitting open. She would probably be back soon.

As if on cue Marie's door creaked open. William turned towards the door, but gasped in alarm as he realized it was Helen, Marie's sister. He was uncertain if Helen was as friendly and gentle as Marie, and without thinking he began to run for the foot of the bed. Helen screamed upon seeing William scurrying across the floor. "Shit!" William cursed as he dove under the bed. "Marie!" Helen screamed. "There is something in your room!"

Marie rushed in to the room and grabbed her sister by the arm. "It's ok," she said. "I will take care of it."

"I will go get Mom."

"No!" Marie screamed, then quickly cleared her throat. "No it's ok, I will handle it. I have seen them before, not a big deal."

"What ARE they?" Helen asked, her voice quivering.

"I will explain later," she said as she shoved her sister out of the room. "I promise." Helen was protesting on the other side of the door but eventually gave up and went downstairs. William was breathing heavily under the bed, his body shaking.

"Will?" Marie called out to him. William protruded from his hiding place. Marie smiled and breathed deeply. "Sorry Will, are you ok?" She bent down on the floor and held out her hand. William approached her smiling, his hands still quivering.

"William run!" He could hear Tanner's voice screaming as he peaked out from the crack in the wall. Will was surprised that he was still there and hadn't run home screaming. His face was white as a ghost from fear. He was darting back and forth, as if trying to decide if he was going to be brave and try and save his brother (a losing battle no doubt), or if he should run away and save himself. "William!" He screamed again.

Marie was watching Tanner, being very careful not to move. She glanced at Will and brought her hand away. "Is that your brother? You look so much alike," she commented.

"Yeah," Will replied, snickering.

"He is scared to death Will," Marie stated. Will made his way back over to his brother. The terrified little Tanner leapt from the crack and grabbed him by the arm. "Come on!" He wailed, yanking his brother into the crack.

"Tanner stop," Will said as he planted his feet. He ripped his arm out of his brother's grasp. "William! What are you doing?" Tanner was panicking. He turned back towards home. "We have to get out of here!"

"Tanner she is fine, she won't hurt you."

"What??"

Tanner had already taken off and was scurrying through the wall. He disappeared around the corner and William cursed himself. He knew Tanner would likely tell his Mom and Dad what had happened, and they would do everything in their power to try and stop Will from behaving so dangerously. They would probably kick him out, make him go live outside with the other borrowers. He turned back to the bedroom where Marie was still sitting on the floor. She regarded William intently, the corners of her mouth were stiff. She looked upset, William knew how much she hated being thought of as a monster. "I'm sorry," he called to her. "I will be back, I promise."

William ran after his brother. "Tanner!" He called, but he was already long gone. He screeched to a half as he barged into his home, his parents jumped. "Where is Tanner?" He asked urgently.

"I thought he was with you?" His Mom replied. "What is going on Will?"

William ignored her and raced out the door again. He must have run straight outside. William deaked through the walls and leapt from the vent to the harsh outdoors. It was freezing outside, the snow whipped against his body, instantly knocking him over. Snow was already covering the ground, almost completely engulfing him. "Tanner!" He called again. Neither of them were dressed for the snow. He tried to trudge on forward but the wind was harsh. He could barely stay on his feet let alone plow through the massive amounts of snow. He made his way back inside.

Almost an entire day had gone by without any sign of him. William was worried sick. Normally he would return, at least to let his brother know he was ok. He needed to find him.

William made his way to Marie. "Please, you have to help me." He told her as she bent down to pick him up. Marie lifted the little man carefully, holding him close to her chest. "Of course," she replied.

William grasped her fingers and sat up, looking up at her. "My brother, I can't find him. I am worried that he may have tried to run home, he has an outdoor place that he stays-"

"He went outside in this weather?" Marie interrupted, concern in her voice. She was already headed to the door. William nestled in to her sweater. "Don't let anyone see me ok?"

Marie wrapped her delicate fingers around him. "I won't," she replied. "No one is home." Marie carried William down the stairs, slipped her boots on, and zipped out the front door. She sheltered William from the wind by holding him close. "Head straight ahead, towards the back tree line. Back of the property," Will called to her. She walked through the snow effortlessly; each giant step covering meters and meters of ground. Will glanced downwards, amazing at how fast she could move. He felt a sudden sense of power as he sat in her hand. The walk to the back of the property took no time at all. When they reached the shelter of the trees Marie set William down. He raced towards his brother's tree. It was surrounded by bushes which offered shelter, and he prayed that he would find his brother inside. Sure enough, there he was curled up into a ball. Will sprinted towards him. His skin was freezing cold to the touch and he could barely move aside from all of the shivering he was doing. He looked pale and sick.

"Tanner," Will said. "What are you doing out here? Why did you come out here?" But Tanner was too cold to reply. He looked at his brother weakly. "We have to get you inside now." Will told him.

William grabbed his brothers arms and dragged him from his den. The wind hit them both harshly as Will struggled to pull him from the bushes. He was heavy and stiff. "Marie!" William called out. She spotted the boys and quickly made her way over, kneeling down as close to their level as she could. She gasped when she saw Tanner, covering her mouth in despair. "Is he-"

"He will be ok. You have to bring him inside, he is going to freeze to death if he is out here any longer."

Marie brought her hands down and slowly scooped up the frigid little borrower. His eyes were open and watching her, but he didn't struggle. He didn't seem to be fully aware what was happening. Marie lifted William with her other hand and slid him into her front breast pocket. She got to her feet and headed back to the house.

Marie carried the boys back up to her room. She pulled Will out of her pocket and set him on the desk. She cradled Tanner in her hands. She didn't want to try and warm him too fast; she let the heat of her hands slowly warm his tiny body. Tanner seemed to be calm, he even started to doze off in Marie's hands. She stroked him gently.

Will watched as Marie tended to his brother. A tinge of jealously hit his heart as he regarded her tenderness towards him. She was such a natural, caring soul but a part of him wanted her all to himself. He quickly shoved the thought aside, still grateful that his brother would be ok. Slowly Tanner started to come to, the warmth he was being given was bringing life back to him.

He slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes. Marie carefully set the man down beside his brother, hoping this would comfort him. Will knelt down and looked in his eyes. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah," Tanner replied. He looked up at Marie but said nothing, merely watched her. She smiled at the boy. Tanner looked back to William in disbelief. "You rascal," he said suddenly. William snickered.

Marie brought Tanner some water in a thimble which he willingly accepted. He drank quickly and heartily. She set the boys back down on the floor. "Thank you," Tanner looked up at the beautiful giant.

***

“Have you told Mom and Dad?” Tanner asked as him and William made their way through the walls.

“No,” Will admitted.

“Probably for the better,” Tanner said quickly. “I don’t think they would approve.”

William said nothing. The boys headed back to their dwelling. Tanner was happily wrapped in a silk cloth that Marie had given him to use as a robe. "I like this," he commented to William. "It is so soft and warm."

"I told you she wasn't that bad," Will replied.

"Well..." Tanner trailed off, getting lost in his own thoughts. "She really is something."


William went to visit Marie the next day. “I got a new book,” she said eagerly as she smiled ear to ear. Will laughed at the simplicity of the comment. “By whom?” He asked. “Judith Butler,” Marie replied. “She has some interesting theories.” Marie grabbed the book in one hand and held out her other to Will. “Would you like to come read it with me?” She asked. “No one is home.”

“Sure,” William responded, happily climbing into her hand.

Marie carried the borrower downstairs to the couch and sat down. “She is someone of a feminist,” Marie explained. “Yet at the same time not at all. She believes in gender equality and the openness of the human spirit.” William sat up in Marie’s hand and skimmed a few of the words on the page. “Fascinating,” he commented. What a world she must have been a part of, he thought. To not have any human rights seemed like a terrible kind of world, however he barely knew anything about that. Or did he? After a few moments Will lay down in her hand, resting.

Marie busied herself in her book. By the time she looked up an entire hour had passed and the sun was almost touching the horizon outside the living room bay window. An orange aura filled the room, and she gazed down at William who had peacefully dozed off in her hand. His little body was fully relaxed and limp; his cheek pressed up against her fingers as he breathed in and out. Marie relaxed her hand which was cramping terribly, letting William's body shift towards her palm. She stroked him a few times with her thumb and then finished her chapter. She then carried the tired borrower upstairs and set him on her pillow. He stirred slightly but soon fell back asleep against the soft fabric. Poor thing, Marie thought. To be so small in such a big world.

When William opened his eyes he was shocked at how deeply he must have slept. It was dangerous and unruly to sleep this soundly when you need to be on constant alert. He could hear his father’s voice repeating in his head again…”quiet, cautious, inconspicuous.” Marie was at her desk rustling through a few papers. She was wearing her pajamas and seemed a bit groggy. She got up and turned towards Will, who smiled and sat up on the pillow. He felt so safe with her, it was an amazing feeling. Never in his life has he felt so safe.
“You slept for a while,” Marie commented. “I didn’t want to wake you.”

Will said nothing but only smiled and rubbed his eyes. To William’s surprise Marie lifted the blankets and slid in to bed, her head only inches away from where he sat atop the pillow. Her giant, beautiful face watched him contently. It occurred to Will that had he been a normal sized “Bean” Marie may not have been so willing to have him in her bed. She seemed like the type of woman to have more independence and stubbornness than any normal man would want to deal with. She was particular with what she liked, and could not bother herself with foolish boys. William, however, loved her passion and focus. He felt lucky, he decided. Because of his size he was of no threat to this gorgeous giant, something he now cherished rather than cursed.

“I’m moving in one more month,” Marie whispered to him.
“I’m coming with you,” he whispered back.

To be continued...
© Copyright 2015 Jeweldesign (dragoness22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041220-William-the-Borrower