*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041434-Unfair-Part-One
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Supernatural · #2041434
Peter's interest in magic takes him somewhere he maybe shouldn't have gone.
Peter smiled as he walked through the front gates. About to start his final year of college, it was his first time at the fair in four years! In every direction were rows and rows of tents selling anything ranging from toy swords to hot tubs to insurance. The smell of fresh popcorn and roasting BBQ swirled through the air. The various food stands surrounded rows of worn out picnic tables where hungry fair goers greedily stuffed their mouths with funnel cakes and corndogs. In the distance were the silhouettes of various rides, appearing like a jagged skyline. Faint screams of excited riders were barely audible over the general hum of conversation.

Walking amidst a crowd of strangers, he felt slightly guilty. Rather than meeting his friends and coming as a group as planned, Peter had taken the bus from his dorm. The allure of the fair was too hard to resist, and he could just meet up with them when the time came. As tall as those three were, it wouldn’t be an issue finding them!

Peter strolled through the merciful shade of a line of trees. Resting his hand against the phone nestled in his pocket, he thought ‘I should at least text them’. He knew Derek would be understanding, ever the nice one. Rhett would get over it too, probably faster if Peter treated him to some fair food. Ben might be more annoyed since they were supposed to wait for him to get out of work.

After a moment’s more thought, Peter decided against it. He was already here and soon they would be too. Whether he told them now or when they showed up wouldn’t make a difference. Besides he could use this time to check out all the stuff his friends didn’t really care for. It would be fairer this way for everyone.

He approached a row of booths and shuffled past, waiting for something to catch his attention. However, nothing really stood out. Unless he wanted a henna tattoo or an overpriced caricature. And he didn’t.

Passing an ornate and colorful tent, Peter was greeted by a friendly looking middle aged woman dressed in a gypsy costume. “Want your fortune told?” she asked with a smile. Peter hesitated. He had yet to see anything even remotely interesting. Though he found fortune-telling to be kind of a joke, he shrugged and replied with an unenthusiastic, “Sure.”

She grabbed his arm excitedly and guided him into the dark tent. An overwhelming wave of incense attacked Peter’s nostrils as he blinked in the dim candlelight. This lady sure had the atmosphere down!

“Sit, sit!” she said, motioning to a lone chair, in front of the expected crystal ball. “Before we begin, there is the matter of payment.” She said slowly, pointing at a faded chart on the table. Peter chose the cheapest option, a simple crystal ball reading, and handed her a few crumpled bills.

She closed her eyes and sighed, mumbling incoherently to herself. She swayed gently as she put her hands to the rounded surface, slowing leaning in and opening her eyes wide as her face came near the crystal ball.

“Well you have quite the group of friends, don’t you?” she said happily. “Not much of a stretch to guess that” Peter thought, unimpressed. The woman continued staring intently into the crystal ball. “Hm, change is rapidly approaching. You will have a new perspective. People may not like it, but change is often good!” she said brightly. Peter sighed, “That’s something no fortune teller has ever said before!” he thought sarcastically.

“Oh!” she said, her tone noticeably darker. Peter unconsciously leaned in. “There’s much misfortune and injustice coming your way!” she said unhappily. “It is nothing you’ve done. You are not being victimized. Sometimes bad things just happen!” she sighed, shaking her head. “I can see you have a good heart,” she paused. “Rely on your friends, they’ll be your best source of help in such trying times! Don’t let yourself be consumed by the misfortune or crushed by disappointment. Then you have already lost!”

Peter shifted uncomfortably, weren’t fortune tellers supposed to tell you how great the future would be? The woman grunted lightly, “Hmph, normally there’s more to see” she said in surprise. Peter rolled his eyes, the woman had probably realized how badly she was doing and decided to end the reading. What a waste of good money!

Peter stood up, “Well thanks” he said brusquely. As he turned to leave, the woman reached out to gently touch his arm. “Best of luck, Peter.” She said, her face a mixture of concern and sorrow.

Further disturbed by the woman’s off behavior, Peter said thanks a second time and pushed through the tent flaps. Emerging into the bright, warm summer sunlight he took a grateful breath of fresh air and hurriedly walked away.

“Wait, when did I tell her my name?” Peter wondered suddenly.

Rounding a corner, Peter forgot all about the fortune teller when he saw a dark tent straight ahead. It stood isolated from any other stand or booth. A sign placed near the entrance read “Become entrapped in the mysteries of magic!” in faded letters.

Peter didn’t give it a second thought before marching towards the tent. He loved magic, even though his friends thought the tricks were stupid. And this was more real than some tacky fortune teller! “This is why I came early” he thought brightly before entering the tent through a flap.

It was nothing like what he had been expecting. Instead of displays of simple tricks, a few mismatched chairs surrounded an area backed up by a washed-out façade. Peter’s eyes swept the dim room. “Hello?” he said in a smaller voice then he meant to.

Just before backing out of the tent, there was a snap from behind the façade, and a boy roughly Peter’s age stumbled around it. He was skinny and lean, with messy black hair and steely blue eyes. For a moment he looked guilty before he stood up straight with a wide smile.

“Hello!” he said overenthusiastically, taking a step forward. Without meaning to Peter started to lean away from the boy. “uh… hi. Soo… is this a magic shop booth or… or a show…” The boy calmed suddenly, his smile becoming a sly grin. “It’s quite the show.” He paused before continuing “You’re actually the first one that’s come in. Want to see some?”

Peter grinned, any awkwardness forgotten with the promise of good magic. “Sure!” he replied excitedly. The boy motioned to the chairs with his arm as he moved in front of the façade. Peter obediently took a seat. The boy stood silent for a moment as though he was thinking. His knowing grin disappeared and his shoulders slumped as though all the confidence had left his body. Peter frowned, was this part of the show?

Finally the boy sighed deeply before giving an uninspired monologue about the wonders of the world and believing in real magic. Peter felt doubt sprout in his mind that this show would be anything but mediocre. At the end of his speech the boy pulled out a beat up stuffed rabbit. After allowing Peter to hold it he stuffed it under a hat. While murmuring something he tapped the hat and lifted it up revealing a live bunny.

Peter clapped unenthusiastically. The boy noticed his boredom. “What? Not good enough?” he asked in an irritated tone. Peter shrugged “That was pretty good, but that’s been done to death. You said it was unlike any other show.”

The boy glared at him. “Fine, I won’t give you the standard show” he shot back. “There is actually something I’ve been working on. Would you like to see?” Peter shrugged again “Sure, if it’s more impressive than the last thing.”

“Oh it is! It’ll change your whole… perspective” he giggled as if he had made a joke. Peter frowned as the boy cleared his throat and took a deep breath.

He stood silent once more and then began murmuring something under his breath. The murmuring, though indiscernible became more intense as his right hand shot up, pointing directly at Peter.
The boy grunted out a few more words under his breath and stared at Peter. Peter returned his gaze, and they may as well have held a staring contest.

“Alrighty then!” Peter said loudly as he stood up. The boy’s face crumpled in disappointment. “So much for that!” he sighed. Peter only took two steps before his vision blurred.

“Whoa!” Peter cried out, rubbing his eyes. They boy behind him raised his head in confusion before smiling. “Oh! It worked! ... I can’t believe it worked!” Peter’s vision went from blurry to pure white and he felt a sensation of falling. Behind him the sound of the boy’s laughter rang through his ears.
© Copyright 2015 silverwood34 (silverwood34 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041434-Unfair-Part-One