*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041744-Equal-Pay-for-Women
by LydiaO
Rated: E · Article · Career · #2041744
Article regarding equal pay for women in honor of Equal Pay Day.
Equal Pay for Women


Women have achieved a great deal since the 1950's. We hold positions such as judges, astronauts, Congresswomen and maybe even a future president. The 1950's was a time when working women and mothers averaged one and three. Remember, women's lack of participation in the labor force was not due to inability or drive. It was predominately due to sex-based discrimination. Our appointed role was as housewives and stay at home mothers. Although we were happy, deep inside women wanted more out of life.

Two extraordinary women, Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman started their pursuit to gain equal rights for women in 1923. The Equal Right's Amendment (ERA) went to the state legislatures for ratification in 1972 after congressional approval. Can you believe by this time our fight was 49 years old? Five years later the amendment received 35 out of 38 state ratifications but rescinded by a few states. Why is it so hard for women to be seen and treated as equal to men? We fight wars, run major corporations and head households with and without husbands.

It is now the 21st century and the fight for equality continues. Often, we are turned down and replaced by men. Did you know women are paid 78 cents for every dollar men are paid? That is with equal or more qualifications than their male counterparts. Female entrepreneurs are most likely to be turned down for business loans, this includes women with better finances or credit than men. Why are we forced to continue our fight for equal rights as men? We have organizations like the National Partnership for Women and Families dedicated to promoting fairness in the workforce. Ladies, it is important that we support these organizations. The efforts of these organizations cannot be in vain. We need them! I feel if Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman did not make the first steps in demanding equality we would not have made it this far.

Today, April 14, 2015 is Equal Pay Day. American women are demanding equal pay as men. Why should we settle for a lesser pay than men? Particularly when we have the same qualifications as men. We too are bread winners and deserve the right to receive the same wages. We put forth as much hard work into our careers as men and should be paid accordingly. The U.S. Census bureau of 2012 shows the unequal pay of men and women throughout the United States. View the map and contact your state legislature, donate to the National Partnership for Women and Families. Help to facilitate changes and fairness for women in the workplace. To support Equal Pay Day, I'm asking women and men who believe in equality for women to retweet this and any article dedicated to #EqualPayDay.















© Copyright 2015 LydiaO (lydia77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041744-Equal-Pay-for-Women